Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Celebrating birthdays of co-workers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linn78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Celebrating birthdays of co-workers Reply with quote

Alright everybody, I've been teaching for 3 years and 3 different places and every school has one thing in common, everybody contributes to a gift for the birthday of other workers.

This is never mandatory, but everybody knows you must do it or you are a jerk. I think its a great thing, as everybody receives something back on their birthday. You spend allot of money collectively, but everybody gets a return on their contributions when their birthday comes around. that is, in exception to those with summer birthdays.

the schools I've worked at are mostly operational during the normal school year, so my birthday is always skipped. I've spent a few hundred dollars on contributions but have never seen any kind of return since my birthday is in July.

I think summer birthdays should either be fully morally exempt from contributions, or have a a guarantee return date during the school year.

Can I get some support on this from my fellow summer birthday teachers? lets start a movement to make sure we are all fairly compensated.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is situational. I've never worked anywhere where colleague's birthdays are an occasion for a gift. In the Netherlands, the person whose birthday it is might bring some pie or other treats for his/her colleagues, but no presents in either direction. Ditto Canada, Germany, Czech Republic.

If you actually want to make some change, I think it's up to you in your own workplace....
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The celebration of birthdays is forbidden, The righteous and the godly should not participate. At least I was told that by religious colleagues in the Middle East. I believe that JWs have the same view.
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's nice especially if we are talking about a staff made up of people far from home--but I would suggest you follow US primary school's lead and celebrate the half birthday of those whose birthdays fall in the summer months. However, late July birthdays may still be a problem if you also have vacation the last week of the year.
santi84

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate work birthdays. Confused

You could do an un-birthday date like the elementary schools do.

ETA: I see MotherF beat me to it!
yurii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linn78 wrote:
Alright everybody, I've been teaching for 3 years and 3 different places and every school has one thing in common, everybody contributes to a gift for the birthday of other workers.

Doesn't happen in my school. Only when people leave.

santi84 wrote:
I hate work birthdays. Confused

You could do an un-birthday date like the elementary schools do.

ETA: I see MotherF beat me to it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdsZT7WKjW8
cmp45

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could tell a white lie and say your birthday is in another month during school year, problem solved. No one is the wiser. I mean does it really matter what the date? Just make it up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: