Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

al-Khaleej - instant contract?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickelgoat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: al-Khaleej - instant contract? Reply with quote

So I sent an email to the current al-Khaleej posting here at Daves, and within one day I get emailed a contract! No interview, nothing.

Is this their normal way of doing things?
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they offer you a job or for you to look at the contract and then proceed to an interview?
Burton's Odyssey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nickel

I got exactly the same response. I suspect they send these things to everyone they might want to hire, in order to discourage teachers from taking jobs elsewhere. Then they can pick and choose who they want, and "change their mind" about the rest.

BTW, did they ask you to send more info (degrees, etc), then respond with another e-mail implying they would send the visa paperwork?
nickelgoat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is what they did. I once interviewed at a branch of al-Khaleej in Khobar when I lived there. Very rude, not cordial at all, just some slimy Egyptian director who accused me of not knowing the English language when I couldn't answer one very obscure grammar question.

I always thought it was amazing how they can be so fussy about grammar points yet still can't write or speak English in real life so as to be understood.
1chunk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think to yourself... if they were any good, would this be normal procedure? I think not. I know standards in Saudi are low, but to dish out contracts like this, is beyond ridiculous.

I guess they just wanted to know if you have a heartbeat lol.

At the end of the day, suckers will take it up and then they will be here a few months later, asking for help.

All the best
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the AlKhaleej standard at the moment (early July) - via a recruiter anyway - seems to be $3400 but that INCLUDES $500 accom. allowance and $100 travel allowance. So $2800, or possibly less if you are picky about accommodation or use up your travel allowance. However, they tend to send you to smaller cities, so you could stretch it.
Arenta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: al-Khaleej - instant contract? Reply with quote

nickelgoat wrote:
So I sent an email to the current al-Khaleej posting here at Daves, and within one day I get emailed a contract! No interview, nothing.

Is this their normal way of doing things?

I would be very suspicious of this because they did the same to me last year. I applied from Dave's as well & sent copies of degrees. Two days later I was sent the contract without an interview, from somebody named "blah blah... Attorney at Law" with detailed instructions on where to go for the medical checks and a scale of costs with options for "standard service", "fast service" and "extra fast service" !!! The costs were very high.

When I asked if I could have them done elsewhere, they insisted they had to be done at their appointed place + the money would have to be paid upfront to their account before the medical checks took place.

After a few more questions I was phoned by a Phillipino person asking when I would have the checks done and when I would be sending the money. He also emailed me several times asking the same questions. In the end I didn't accept.

I know there is a college called Al Kaleej but there is also a company of the same name. It sounds to me like you have been contacted by the bogus company as I was. The same thing seems to be going on with a company called Alasala where there's also a college of the same name. I have a thread here on the Alasala company. It's weird why they would send out contracts to people they hadn't even interviewed ! Crying or Very sad
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: al-Khaleej - instant contract? Reply with quote

Arenta wrote:
I would be very suspicious of this because they did the same to me last year. I applied from Dave's as well & sent copies of degrees. Two days later I was sent the contract without an interview, from somebody named "blah blah... Attorney at Law" with detailed instructions on where to go for the medical checks and a scale of costs with options for "standard service", "fast service" and "extra fast service" !!! The costs were very high.

This just screams SCAM!! Is there anyone who has actually sent money to someone in another country to pay for some medical check-up that actually ended up with a job?? That is damn near as ridiculous as sending money to someone somewhere to pay for your "visa."

I wouldn't touch the employers mentioned in this post with a barge pole.

VS
Burton's Odyssey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing: this ad came from English Today Recruitment, which seems legitimate. What can we make out of this?
Sheik Yerbuti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking another whack at Saudi , Nickel?
Arenta

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burton's Odyssey wrote:
One other thing: this ad came from English Today Recruitment, which seems legitimate. What can we make out of this?

I think a lot of legit agents also have ads from scammers. There probably isn't a thorough check into whether advertisers are real or not. If they look genuine on the surface, have a phone number. address/PO BOX number that is enough.

I know the contract Al Kaleej company sent me looked very legit. The only reason to be suspicious was their insistence on medical fees being paid upfront and which were very high. It seems these scammers are becoming more and more sophisticated.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arenta wrote:
The only reason to be suspicious was their insistence on medical fees being paid upfront and which were very high. It seems these scammers are becoming more and more sophisticated.

Directing job applicants to send money doesn't require any level of sophistication.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just that this seems a new approach. In the past, it has been send money to someone to pay for a "visa" (which never appears, of course) ... now they want applicants to send money to someone somewhere that pays for a medical check in your country?

That makes no sense. You make an appointment with your doctor or a clinic and pay them. With any luck, a decent employer will reimburse you once you are in country.

VS
Arenta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Arenta wrote:
The only reason to be suspicious was their insistence on medical fees being paid upfront and which were very high. It seems these scammers are becoming more and more sophisticated.

Directing job applicants to send money doesn't require any level of sophistication.

No but to create genuine looking documentation does.
Arenta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
It is just that this seems a new approach. In the past, it has been send money to someone to pay for a "visa" (which never appears, of course) ... now they want applicants to send money to someone somewhere that pays for a medical check in your country?

That makes no sense. You make an appointment with your doctor or a clinic and pay them. With any luck, a decent employer will reimburse you once you are in country.

VS

It's been going on for a number of years. I know because it happened to a friend of mine around 7/8 years ago. She was offered a job in the UAE, accepted it and was asked to send money from the US to cover the visa and medical costs which she was told would be reimbursed. She sent the money but never heard from them again and lost 1000s $s in the process. It seems to have started in UAE and then spread to KSA. The Al Khaleej and Alasala companies seem to be two of the main ones which I've mentioned on this site.

As regards going to your doctor or a clinic for the tests, I've never heard about this. It didn't apply to my friend or to me. We both had to go to a specific clinic (in her case it didn't exist but they made up a fake name for the clinic) chosen by the employer. I don't know why they nominate a specific clinic or doctor but they do. I had to do this less than two years ago and could not just go to my doctor for the tests. In my case everything was legit and the tests were paid upfront by the employer so I didn't have to pay anything or reclaim costs while in the country. I'm sure I remember reading posts on this site from people questioning why they have to pay costs upfront and others who said they had difficulty being reimbursed for medical checks once in the country. But these scams surrounding medical checks have been going on for a long time now.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: