Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

al-Khaleej - instant contract?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arenta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something which isn't a scam but a real pain is having to go to a specific clinic in your home country if you are living in another country. It's very off putting if you have to pay for a flight back home which is not reimbursed, stay for a day or two with the associated costs, and then fly back to the country you are residing in.

I turned down a lot of jobs for this very reason in the past. They don't allow you to go to a qualified doctor in the residing country for the tests but insist you go back to your home country and have them done at their nominated clinic ! Luckily, with the last Saudi job I did I was already living in my home country so all I had to do was turn up at their nominated clinic and have the tests done. But not everyone is living in their home country all the time so it's very inconvenient and expensive to have these tests done, especially if you're expected to pay for them upfront as well !
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arenta wrote:

It's been going on for a number of years. I know because it happened to a friend of mine around 7/8 years ago. She was offered a job in the UAE, accepted it and was asked to send money from the US to cover the visa and medical costs which she was told would be reimbursed. She sent the money but never heard from them again and lost 1000s $s in the process. It seems to have started in UAE and then spread to KSA. The Al Khaleej and Alasala companies seem to be two of the main ones which I've mentioned on this site.

Which is why I said early in the thread that this just screamed SCAM. We have been warning about it here on Dave's and the SCAM sticky on the UAE board started over 10 years ago.

Arenta wrote:
As regards going to your doctor or a clinic for the tests, I've never heard about this. It didn't apply to my friend or to me. We both had to go to a specific clinic (in her case it didn't exist but they made up a fake name for the clinic) chosen by the employer. I don't know why they nominate a specific clinic or doctor but they do. I had to do this less than two years ago and could not just go to my doctor for the tests. In my case everything was legit and the tests were paid upfront by the employer so I didn't have to pay anything or reclaim costs while in the country. I'm sure I remember reading posts on this site from people questioning why they have to pay costs upfront and others who said they had difficulty being reimbursed for medical checks once in the country. But these scams surrounding medical checks have been going on for a long time now.

This may vary by country. In the US, applicants to Saudi jobs have for years had to arrange their own medical nearly always at their own expense (and very expensive in the US)... with the better employers refunding later. Some of the tests were then usually re-done when one arrived in Saudi. (usually blood tests and x-ray)

VS
Arenta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

Which is why I said early in the thread that this just screamed SCAM. We have been warning about it here on Dave's and the SCAM sticky on the UAE board started over 10 years ago.

A personal real life anecdote is always helpful especially if some others haven't seen the warnings.

veiledsentiments wrote:
This may vary by country. In the US, applicants to Saudi jobs have for years had to arrange their own medical nearly always at their own expense (and very expensive in the US)... with the better employers refunding later. Some of the tests were then usually re-done when one arrived in Saudi. (usually blood tests and x-ray)

VS

Yes there's obviously a difference according to country for whatever strange reasons. Although I think people from all countries have to have the blood test done a second time. Seems pointless having them done at their nominated clinic in the first place or at your local doctor's office ! Rolling Eyes
1chunk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, even if it's not a scam, Al Khaleej training will still rip you off. Why? Because they only reimburse up to $200 of your medical/visa costs, LOL. That's right. So you take a big hit and that's before you've even worked a day.

If you don't believe me, simply ask them. Smile
Arenta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siobhan 22 wrote:
Well, the AlKhaleej standard at the moment (early July) - via a recruiter anyway - seems to be $3400 but that INCLUDES $500 accom. allowance and $100 travel allowance. So $2800, or possibly less if you are picky about accommodation or use up your travel allowance. However, they tend to send you to smaller cities, so you could stretch it.

I was sent a job offer from them today. The pay is slightly more than you quote and I'm presuming it's from the uni and not a company of the same name which I mentioned above.

I don't know if it's with a Iqama or business visa because they sent me an instant contract like others here without an interview, but I'm assuming it's on a business visa. It's with English First. Two year contract with 30 days leave.
From what others have said they're not good to work for so I'm hesitant about accepting.
Burton's Odyssey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also just got a formal contract from them today.

The only oddity is the stipulation for a 48 hour work-week. Is this normal for SA?

WRT the medical, the contract merely states that I am obliged to have a medical before (and periodic ones afterwards) the contract becomes effective. There are no details as to where I must get it or who pays for it.
hash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Arenta"]I was sent a job offer from them today. The pay is slightly more than you quote and I'm presuming it's from the uni and not a company of the same name which I mentioned above.

Let me get this straight.... Today, you got a job offer from "somebody" which is either a "uni" or an employment "agency" of some sort. But you're not sure which it really is. That's a great beginning.

I don't know if it's with a Iqama or business visa because they sent me an instant contract like others here without an interview, but I'm assuming it's on a business visa. It's with English First.

You also don't know whether it's a work or visit visa you'll be given to enter KSA.
You also don't know if you'll be an employee of English First or of a uni (there is no uni called English First in KSA).
There was no interview for you and presumably there never will be.

I'm hesitant about accepting.

I can't imagine why.....

Burton's Odyssey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beginning of my contract states:

1) Al-Khaleej training and education
a joint stock company registered with the Ministry of Commerce under the laws of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia ...
hash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Burton's Odyssey"]I also just got a formal contract from them today. The only oddity is the stipulation for a 48 hour work-week. Is this normal for SA?

That's the ONLY oddity you saw about this "formal contract?" Didn't the fact that you didn't have to undergo an interview before being offered a job seem even a teensy weensy bit odd to you?

You call the document you received a "formal contract" and I know in colloquial business English these KSA documents have acquired such a designation. But they are not "contracts" in the legal (western) sense of the word, and are likely totally unenforceable in the USA or even KSA. They're more "agreements" than anything else.

Regardless of the paucity of information re your "medicals", I can almost guarantee that you'll end up paying for them. That's why they're mum on it now. They're not yet ready to spring the "real" news about this contract on you quite yet. ...........But stay tuned......

Burton's Odyssey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the lack of an interview did seem odd to me, as I mentioned in an earlier post.

I was commenting on the oddity IN THE CONTRACT (or agreement, as you call it).

Anyway, I e-mailed the visa agent for the company, or whatever it is, to clarify this point. Either way, I'm not taking the offer too seriously.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burton's Odyssey wrote:
Yes, the lack of an interview did seem odd to me, as I mentioned in an earlier post.

I e-mailed the visa agent for the company, or whatever it is, to clarify this point. Either way, I'm not taking the offer too seriously.

Good you're not taking this seriously; Al Khaleej has always been sketchy.

Instead of clarification, ask them when you'll get your interview. It will be interesting to see their response.
lizzydizzy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they still sending out information packets about teaching in Tabuk and living in the beautiful compound there? Look at the dates on the materials. That contract was lost over a year ago.
Burton's Odyssey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizzydizzy wrote:
Are they still sending out information packets about teaching in Tabuk and living in the beautiful compound there? Look at the dates on the materials. That contract was lost over a year ago.

No, I haven't seen that.

BTW, the contract they sent me is twelve pages long and appears to be as legitimate as any other contract I've ever signed.

I'm tempted to accept it, just because I like taking risks. You may call me crazy, but that's how I've always lived my life.
mahdi1432

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burton's Odyssey wrote:
You may call me crazy, but that's how I've always lived my life.

You will do just fine here then.
Ahlan wa sahlan!
hash

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burton's Odyssey wrote:
I'm tempted to accept it, ......Oh, there's no doubt that you're going to "accept" it. I cudda told you that the second I read your first post.

The vast majority of job applicants who go public with their plans vis a vis a job offer from KSA have already made up their minds. They don't really seek "advice".....they seek applause and a pat on the back. I call it the "martyr" syndrome.....they're doing something for a higher, ineffable cause. What it is, in fact, is a variety of the old Peace Corps mentality ("game" is probably a more apposite term) .......fine if you're between 18 and 25 years of age. After that?? It becomes risible and embarrassing.

In other words. they really come here to get "confirmation" (from someone....anyone) that will validate their intentions. When they don't get it, they grasp at any little straw (BTW, the contract they sent me is twelve pages long and appears to be as legitimate as any other contract I've ever signed.) and go ahead with their plans.

......just because I like taking risks..... Anyone coming to KSA to work is taking a risk. But remember, ESL teachers have been coming to KSA for at least 70 years now (more than 1/2 a century). What you're doing is nothing new or newsworthy.......or heroic.

You may call me crazy, but that's how I've always lived my life.
As I've said above, if you're between 18 and 25 years of age, I will cast my eyes to the ground and pass by this posting in silence. If the poster exceeds this age bracket, I will cover my mouth and scurry on by chortling and smirking and shaking my head, most likely having left some comment or other behind. But good luck whatever you do.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: