Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are language schools paying per hour in your town?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: What are language schools paying per hour in your town? Reply with quote

Quick survey:

What are the hourly rates where you are?

1.) Language schools
2.) University gigs
3.) Conversation classes
4.) Invoiced Business English
5.) Proofreading (basic)
6.) Proofreading (editing involved)

I'm thinking about coming home next year.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

As someone who has a wife there, a house there and a son approaching 20 there, I remember the times when it really was the perfect place for a young guy and you could make a pretty decent living fairly easily too.

However, I'm talking about 2017 and rates.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Judging by the silence, it must still be awful. Best stick where I am. 1 month's salary here is like 12 months' salary in a language school there and that's if they pay you!!
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it works out for you and that you have squirreled away some of the oil money..
sparks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fine, i'll answer 😊 IN WARSAW i've been hearing around 70 pln for 60 min. in-company. most people i know though have gone freelance and get 80 to 100 or more. the amount they earn depends on how they plan their day. obviously 3 classes in a row at a company st 100 pln gives you a decent morning haul.
juriusz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't work in Poland but I know that in Krakow language schools don't want to pay more than 30 PLN per hour (defined as 45 minutes). Private students rarely want to pay 50 PLN per 60 minutes unless you have a very good network of clients who would recommend you. But there is Moose that is going to offer insanely cheap privates. Quality? Who cares.

Krakow is the worst place to teach, competition is fierce, rates simply insulting. I know people in Pabianice who are paid more than in Krakow (40 PLN an hour). A shop assistant in Biedronka can get better salary (Lidl has been paying more than language schools for years). It seems that the only way for schools to compete is to lower their prices. Where is the bottom? I don't know. You can definitely forget about getting any contract/stable form of employment.

Dragonpiwo - I read your posts and as you are quite interested in Polish market: do you know that Empik bought Profi-Lingua? Two biggest schools are now one. There is no hope.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I return to Poland and work occasionally between contracts in the Middle East. I had to get a lawyer involved to get paid by Empik, where I did a 2 month stint and quit after not being paid on time. Profilingua was a little different though. I signed a contract to do about 20 hours a week. After my first observation, they ramped my hours up to 36 per week (8 on a Saturday) and I quit after 1 semester as I'd been headhunted by a wealthy person for a much better paid gig. The boss of Profi then tried to threaten me with court action even though I had provided a medical note Wink.

Every language school in Poland is a carbon copy of its competition; poor rates, shady contractual practices with umowas or UK based companies ie avoiding tax, quick not to pay or to delay, charges for all sorts of things like losing a book, zero respect from management, embittered local teachers who think you're a backpacker. The list goes on and on. I don't consider TEFL in Poland as a real job. Employers certainly don't take you seriously.

I'm financially independent these days, so if I were to work there again, I'd work for myself but actually, I'm more interested in materials writing.
In the vast majority of cases, you won't get a living wage these days and Poland is no longer cheap.
juriusz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empik has horrible reputation, I know quite a few people who worked for them, they all have horror stories. Profilingua schools can be very different. The same applies to International House - I saw your post about Bydgoszcz, Bielsko had a better offer. Not that it was good but better than Bydgoszcz-Torun. I know some people who work for international corporations and earn well but those gigs are never advertised, you need to know someone who knows someone...

I would love to write that you are a pessimist and things are not that bad but, sadly, you are right. I can't believe that rates were better 20 years ago. There are very few jobs in Poland that pay less than language schools. Everything moved on but somehow teaching business is still somewhere around 1995. On top of that, more and more public schools offer reasonable quality of English, so demand for language schools is declining. Unless you work for British Council, you will work on umowa-zlecenie or samozatrudnienie. No paid leave, no sick leave, no national holidays. Enjoy Poland!
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People were complaining about Empik as a place to teach back in 2000.
I just thought it was a good place to buy CDs.
manumany

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was offered 27 per hour by the university. That was their Masters-qualified teacher rate. Couldn't afford to work for that!

Couldn't tell you about language schools, but I take 120 to 160 per 90 minutes for students who come to my home. That is definitely the top end of the market, but I don't want to be swamped with private classes, because the editing, and translation in particular, are more profitable.

There is almost no such thing as proofreading in Poland in my experience - it's all degrees of language editing, and I charge between 15 and 22 zloty per page based on an estimation of the scope of work involved (page = 1800 characters including spaces). For deeper editing for submissions to a high-impact scientific journal, I've taken up to 40 z per page, but it's much more demanding work!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: yeah Reply with quote

Yeah. I must say that I can think of a couple of guys who have been there so long (20 odd years) they make a decent living doing translation work on top of their uni gigs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: