Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are hourly rates in NZ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MixtecaMike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: What are hourly rates in NZ? Reply with quote

Assuming one can legally work in NZ, what sort of hourly rates are on offer?
Private students/ language schools / university or tech programs?
I understand most jobs are part-time, or are there some full-time positions to be found?
BaanThai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: What are hourly rates in NZ? Reply with quote

MixtecaMike wrote:
Assuming one can legally work in NZ, what sort of hourly rates are on offer?
Private students/ language schools / university or tech programs?
I understand most jobs are part-time, or are there some full-time positions to be found?

I can only speak for private language schools, but I'll do my best to answer.

Hourly rates vary between $32-45 NZD. Casual and part-time staff will obviously be on the lower end of that. I'm currently on permanent staff within my school, and am on $39/hr 25 contact hours a week.

Mostly language schools in New Zealand, while universities also have their own programmes. There are a lot of them in Auckland, with some scattered around Taupo, Napier, Wellington and Christchurch.

Finding work as a casual/relief teacher can be done easy enough by contacting the DoS at a given school and inquire about some work. There are both daytime and evening classes across most schools, with a good mix of nationalities (mostly South American and Asian). Moving up the ranks (so to speak) into a permanent role can be achieved by sticking it out for a year.

Classes vary week-by-week along with enrollment numbers. More students = more classes, and the need for more teachers. Schools are always on the lookout for new teachers (both from overseas, fresh out of training and existing staff). If you accept relief work, soon enough you will find yourself with regular work. As my boss says, "Good relief teachers don't stay relief teachers for long."

This is a fairly slow board, feel free to ask more questions if you wish Smile
MixtecaMike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, since my original post I arrived in NZ and as you said, found a part-time job easily enough, and get quite a few covering classes as well. I am happy with what I'm getting, but maybe need to ask for a little bit more next time.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please make sure you are legally able to work. The whole illegal working thing is coming under scrutiny. If Labour are the main party in a coalition after the election (special votes) are counted they will likely partner with NZ First. Both have pro local worker policies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: