Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Easiest Teacher Certifications to Get?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bj80

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Easiest Teacher Certifications to Get? Reply with quote

Sorry to ask what may seem like a dumb question, but I'm just curious what is the easiest teacher certification to get.

I know many jobs, especially in China, to get a pay raise for a teaching certificate.

1. What are the easiest ways to get a real teaching certificate in the US?

I'm guessing a Florida one through a program called TeachAway?

2. What are the easiest ones to get through a high-quality system?

I heard the South African PGCE can open doors, and is inexpensive and good.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bj80 wrote:
Sorry to ask what may seem like a dumb question.
I know many jobs, especially in China, to get a pay raise for a teaching certificate.

1. What are the easiest ways to get a real teaching certificate in the US? I'm guessing a Florida one through a program called TeachAway?
2. What are the easiest ones to get through a high-quality system? I heard the South African PGCE can open doors, and is inexpensive and good.

"Easiest" is highly subjective; there are variables a person has to consider, including cost, commitment to academics, subject matter, and even long-term career goals. See U.S. Teacher Certification. FYI: TeachAway is a recruitment agency and not a US teacher education program.

I'm not sure why you, an American, are still fixated on a PGCE from South Africa. As I posted on your other thread, PGCE from South African Valuable For What, conversational fluency in a South African language is required for the award of the PGCE; the qualification is specific to the languages, cultural context, and educational system of ZA. However, you maintain that a PGCE is "easy" for even non-South Africans to obtain. Odd.

Your view of teacher licenses and certs is superficial and simplistic with cheap-n-easy as your criteria. Yet, context, content, and intended purpose/target audience are critical. By the way, if you expect to pursue licensure, you'll need to be able to conduct your own research and apply critical thinking.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Easiest Teacher Certifications to Get? Reply with quote

bj80 wrote:
Sorry to ask what may seem like a dumb question, but I'm just curious what is the easiest teacher certification to get.

1. What are the easiest ways to get a real teaching certificate in the US?

I'm guessing a Florida one through a program called TeachAway?

2. What are the easiest ones to get through a high-quality system?

I heard the South African PGCE can open doors, and is inexpensive and good.

You are probably thinking of a program called TeacherReady. Another is TeachNow.

By "easy" do you mean on-line? If you also look at on-site programs, then there are residency based programs in a number of cities. These have the added advantage of providing a year of experience in a US public school, and often have decent funding available. Perhaps not "easy" in the way you mean, but offer large rewards for the amount of time invested.

https://nctresidencies.org/become-a-teacher/list-of-residency-programs/

I can't really speak to the South African PGCE question, since I have no experience to base an opinion on.

Last edited by AGoodStory on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

What are the easiest ways to get a real teaching certificate in the US?

Another ACP that you'll see frequently mentioned is Texas Teachers. Your goals and motivation (as suggested by another poster) are key in this case. TT apparently offers one of the easiest certification programs, but there are more than a few teachers who claim that it did little to actually prepare them for teaching.

Gringo Greg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massachusetts has a provisional license program. Not sure if you would call it a certification program, but it does provide you with a license good for 5 years. You need a Bachelor's degree and pass the general and subject tests. Boom, you have a valid teaching certificate.
kazpat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mass. prelim. license is a difficult test with a 50% first-time pass rate. Once passed you can choose to be licensed K-5 or 5-12, so the test covers a lot of material to do with literacy education for young learners. Additionally, one has to be familiar with sheltered instruction (SIOP), disability assessment, sociolinguistics, federal and state laws covering ELLs and WIDA standards along with what you would typically cover for DELTA module 1 (grammar, phonology, etc.) Sure, it is easy from the point of view of just taking two exams, but the actual exam is far from easy. Taking the published MTEL practice test for ESL is a good way to see what the test is all about. However, there were way more sociolinguistic and disability assessment questions than the preparation material indicates.
Gringo Greg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! No doubt. It is a pain. I'm doing Middle School Mathematics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: