Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public university contract renewal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eihpos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Public university contract renewal Reply with quote

It seems to be the norm for public universities to offer only one year contracts, 9 months, or even one semester. I am working in a public uni and thinking I may like/need to renew when my contract ends if January. I was wondering how contract renewal works in these universities. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't renew my contract as I have done a good job, but there is very little communication between foreign teachers and the Chinese admin so it is difficult to know anything! It is completely different from the western sino joint university I previously worked where everything was by the book and transparent.

I am basically wondering what happens, or what has happened in cases of people who have or still do work in a public uni. Do they automatically renew, do you have to do anything (review, meeting, etc.) I just feel a little in the dark about it, and don't want to get an unpleasant surprise at the last minute, and be told I'm not being renewed for no reason, without having found anything else!

Thanks!
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may not be asked to sign another contract if you decide to stay on. If the school likes you, you'll be asked your intentions a couple of months before the end of your contract, and that's it. Be proactive; it's a good idea to initiate the conversation.Schools consider teachers as temporary help, so you may not even be asked to stay even though the school likes you.

The length of the contract depends upon the type of school and how administrators feel about their FTs. Several years ago, I saw a lot of one-term contracts being offered by universities. I've never seen nine-month contracts. Perhaps franchise language schools offer those contracts.

I was offered three-year contracts at two schools, but I declined. I dodged a bullet at one of those schools.
papuadn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Public university contract renewal Reply with quote

eihpos wrote:
It seems to be the norm for public universities to offer only one year contracts, 9 months, or even one semester.
In the public sphere, 10-month contracts are more common, regrettably, but, other than Europeans and Russians working quasi-legally, I've never met anyone working by the semester because visa laws accommodate a calendar year.

And it is not my experience admins delay securing a renewal. In fact, as in your case, I started mid-year (arrived in Feb.) and was solicited to renew in October which cut into any window of time to move on. Unlike Bud's experience, every renewal has required a new contract with modest changes (government caps) and a signature.

Were your post my experience, I would seek assurance.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have been asked to sign a new contract at renewal. I just don't remember. If I did sign new contracts, there must not have been anything irregular or strange about them for me to remember them.
teenoso

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience has been that the Uni asks your intentions on renewal very early (april in the second semester), so they know how many continuing teachers they have, then the renewal process and contract signing starts maybe a month before the end of the semester.
Some teachers at my last school were asked to retake the medical if renewing, some were not, with no rhyme or reason to it.

Last year when I was leaving , the FAO and foreign languages school were reorganised with new management who decided to change contract terms , and clean house with several teachers not being given the option to renew. From stories I've heard this is not uncommon, so have a plan B.
But always there seems to be plenty of notice.
doogsville

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just about to start year 6 at the same uni. They contact me every year about April or May, though the last couple of years they've assumed I'm staying so I had to contact them just to make sure I definitely have a new contract. We have a brief meeting for me to check and sign the contract and that's that. I get paid for the summer holiday since the old contracts end on the last day of the semester and the new contract starts the very next day.

As someone else mentioned they usually try to get all the contracts signed by the end of May or early July so they can go on holiday in the summer knowing everything's in place. There's no reason why you can't ask them about the next contract now.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teenoso wrote:
My experience has been that the Uni asks your intentions on renewal very early (april in the second semester), so they know how many continuing teachers they have, then the renewal process and contract signing starts maybe a month before the end of the semester.
Some teachers at my last school were asked to retake the medical if renewing, some were not, with no rhyme or reason to it.

I've taken a medical at every renewal. Each medical has been memorable... like the time they gave each of us a container smaller than a shot glass to pee in. The pandemonium in the men's room was certainly memorable. The FTs and migrant workers turned in their specimens at the same time, and the med techs didn't even bother to label them. They probably weren't even tested.

I wouldn't count on being asked my intentions. I've seen FTs being informed that they wouldn't be renewed until three weeks before the end of the term. They assumed that the school would approach them. Even more weird was when an FT who had just returned to the school from the previous year was given notice shortly after the new term began.

At public universities, one really must stay in touch with the office and learn not to be a nuisance. NEVER go at lunch time.

Last edited by OhBudPowellWhereArtThou on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
papuadn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhBudPowellWhereArtThou wrote:
Each medical has been memorable... like the time they gave each of us a container smaller than a shot glass to pee in. The pandemonium in the men's room was certainly memorable. The FTs and migrant workers turned in their specimens at the same time, and the med techs didn't even bother to label them. They probably weren't even teated.

Most likely, the containers were numbered. So, barring the pandemonium included exchanges, labeling them wasn't necessary. But as is your experience, the provinces in which I have worked require yearly physicals. I have heard claims of foregoing them for years, but it's always a "back then" type conversation.

And many grouse about a physical both before and after arrival, but anyone familiar with immigration policy knows why it is necessary and anyone with professional teaching experience knows the hoops in our business are many.

What's "teated"?
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papuadn wrote:
Each medical has been memorable... like the time they gave each of us a container smaller than a shot glass to pee in. The pandemonium in the men's room was certainly memorable. The FTs and migrant workers turned in their specimens at the same time, and the med techs didn't even bother to label them. They probably weren't even teated.

Most likely, the containers were numbered. So, barring the pandemonium included exchanges, labeling them wasn't necessary. But as is your experience, the provinces in which I have worked require yearly physicals. I have heard claims of foregoing them for years, but it's always a "back then" type conversation.

And many grouse about a physical both before and after arrival, but anyone familiar with immigration policy knows why it is necessary and anyone with professional teaching experience knows the hoops in our business are many.

What's "teated"?

teated= typo for "tested".

They probably weren't teated either for all I know. It sounds ugly.

No, the thimbles weren't numbered.

Yes, the hoops through one must jump are many. Some schools handle them better than others, and some FTs handle them better than others. Those who do their homework know the vagueries of the application process and should cover all bases and get everything asked for by the local consulate. Once the Z visa is issued, that should be the end of the application and authentication process.
papuadn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the thimbles weren't numbered.
Thimbles...funny.

But I had a similar adjustment of expectation. I had not given the plastic specimen cup to a nurse. There was only a tray in a small window on which to leave my sample along with half a dozen others. So I was hesitant to walk away from it, as though it might be lost among the others.

Only later did I process a very small printed decal had been generated at the outset of signing in and the cup given to me was specific to me.

Your interpretation of the event casually suggests hospital personnel are wildly negligent, which surprises me a little bit. I've been in three such office/labs now and, though their examination procedure/spaces are odd to my US expectations, such a conclusion is unlikely.
huoguojiggae2017

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just turn your cell phone off before you do the deed. You don't want to have to hold the midget snake with one hand, the cup with the other, and then answer the phone.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your interpretation of the event casually suggests hospital personnel are wildly negligent, which surprises me a little bit. I've been in three such office/labs now and, though their examination procedure/spaces are odd to my US expectations, such a conclusion is unlikely.

Oh, little grasshopper. Some day you will find yourself in an outpost of progress in the hinterlands where round-eyed people have been discussed but never seen, where blood is drawn with knitting needles, and the ecg machine is a relic from the cold war that was once used to detect seismic activity during an atomic bomb blast. It will be larger than a picnic table.

You will be followed through your physical examination in various stages of undress by a very curious, smiling, unwashed peasant woman carrying a bag of live ducks who will come to your aid when the doctor slaps your chest x-ray onto the light board. That x-ray will be an x-ray of a child who met a tragic end, his ribs broken like so many strands of uncooked spaghetti.

That wise peasant will push her finger onto your bare chest, point to the glowing x-ray, and utter, "Yabba yabba yabba," which means "Those are not his ribs. Mr. Round Eyes has a much larger chest." The doctors will hand you a cigarette in embarrassment, hoping that his token of friendship will save face for his mistake.

You will accept the smoke and a light (even though you don't smoke) and you will speculate that the lady with the bag of ducks is probably pretty hot looking after she has showered and you have downed several bottles of Prince Premium beer.

That is my China experience. It may be yours some day if you are lucky.

Reason for edit: grammar and spelling.

Last edited by OhBudPowellWhereArtThou on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuckle..
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there major differences between Public and Private Universities in China? I have heard that one of them have better students while the other is one where Chinese go if they can't get into a good university.
cdchristy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foo_Fighters_Dave wrote:
Are there major differences between Public and Private Universities in China? I have heard that one of them have better students while the other is one where Chinese go if they can't get into a good university.

Ok, I will weigh in on this one. I spent 2 years with a public univ and 1 with a private univ. In general, I found that they were basically similar. The educational culture largely overlapped. Most English majors ting bu dong ying yu (can't hear and understand English). Like Public univs, a few students could. Many students at the private univ came from families with better connections and more money. This caused them to rely more heavily on their connections for a job after college, so (I think) students at the public univ were better as many were poorer and had less substantial relations to rely on.

Both schools had a CCP Laoban (Boss) committed to top-down management. Niether school really cared what happened in class so long as no one complained. Both schools paid on time. Neither school cared if you worked a second job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: