Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public university contract renewal
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience [another person's experience may be different] is that public universities that have actual English departments and actual programs attract good speakers and good Chinese teachers. At one school, there were two campuses, and the English majors with lesser speaking ability lived on the old campus and were taught by Chinese teachers for the most part. The other group of students lived on the new campus, had both foreign teachers and Chinese teachers. They were familiar with British and American literature.

I don't know about private universities.

If you want to teach good speakers, find out if the school that you are interested in has a foreign languages department, meaning, is more than just English offered. If there's a FL department, the students will probably be good English speakers.

Where you REALLY need to be careful is at vocational and two-year colleges. The college may say that it has an English program when in fact all it has is an English requirement in one or two classes. I've worked with incredibly good speakers at two year colleges as well as kids who demonstrated little facility in English.

You really have to do your homework on this one.
eihpos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it common for universities not to offer a contract renewal for no apparent reason? I Am wondering because former colleague was not given a new contract, even though he had been there for a few years. Maybe I don't know the full story but it seemed he was given no explanation.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eihpos wrote:
Is it common for universities not to offer a contract renewal for no apparent reason? I Am wondering because former colleague was not given a new contract, even though he had been there for a few years. Maybe I don't know the full story but it seemed he was given no explanation.

If the FT doesn't ask for one, he may not be offered on. I think that the expectation is that most FTs move on after a year.

Your former colleague may not have been offered a new contract, but was he denied one?

If he was denied, it may be for several reasons that you didn't notice. Was he obese? Did he develop a drinking problem? Did he date students? Was he frequently late for class?

Sometimes, FTs are canned for reasons unknown to themselves such as poor student and peer evaluations.
Curtinca

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reason (common, but never stated directly) for the non-renewal of a contract is the FT's failure to understand that the Chinese do not recognize any entitlement to a personal life. There's no privacy in China. Go out for a tear and you may never hear about it, but the administration certainly knows, and will hold it against you, when the time comes.
papuadn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curtinca wrote:
...and you may never hear about it, but the administration certainly knows, and will hold it against you, when the time comes.
I can confirm this was true for contractors in Saudi Arabia, and likely true for language schools in China-- an employer's discretion to not inform you they consider you in breach of a contract serves their control and bottom-line.

And I don't doubt poor administrators "game" a staff at any institution. But, ultimately, I think it comes down to one's qualifications and choice of contracts and staying "above board", so to speak. I've heard teachers speculate about how much money is saved with a renewal, but any business plan of yearly contracts anticipates and provides for those costs. And hiring and firing keeps people busy, of course Wink

An added cultural difference of "face", or perceived esteem, in China compounds the issue. Again, Arab managers could be similar. I came to know a few ruthless managers many had not suspected of being so given their daily interactions.

As to the OP, I've always been approached about renewing long before my documents expire because my coordinators could not risk an unfilled position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: