Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fingerprinting Services in Shanghai???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fpshangzhou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Fingerprinting Services in Shanghai??? Reply with quote

Hello Shanghai Peeps,

I was told about a couple places in Shanghai a while back, but misplaced the information on some website. Anyways, if anyone knows where I can get my fingerprints done for FBI background check since I'm not going home for long time.

Cheers,

Aaron
jimpellow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from lawandborder.com FYI.

"FBI: An FBI criminal history summary check (“rap sheet”) requires submission of fingerprints. Fingerprinting options include, but are not limited to, being fingerprinted abroad or by a “channeler” in the U.S. Typically, U.S. Embassies and Consulates abroad don’t assist with fingerprinting for purposes of obtaining a CNCC. But the U.S. Embassy in Beijing and the U.S. Consulates in Shanghai and Chengdu have posted instructions for how to get fingerprinted by local PRC agencies. A completed fingerprint card can then be submitted to the FBI (processing takes 5-6 weeks) or to a channeler (processing takes 1-2 days)."
MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into getting an FBI background check awhile back, including the fingerprints, and it looked like a chimerical nightmare. Good luck.
Didah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had a different experience with getting the FBI clearance. It may have been easier because I was in the United Sates, however, even in this backwater country I'm in now, there are fingerprint services.

In the past, I have gotten the local police records check from the police in the city where I was living. I filled out their form, paid $5 and another $20 for the notary service and received it in about a week.

Last year, I needed the FBI clearance. After looking at various posts here, I went the the FBI website and there was a link to getting a clearance from them and an application form. So, this is what I did:

I printed out the form and instructions

I happened to be in Las Vegas and I went to a small finger printing/passport photo in a strip mall off of the strip and for $20 I got a set of "Live Scan" finger prints on the the FBI form/card. For another $5 they gave me a second set. If you are overseas, you can print out the FBI fingerprint card.

Then, I put one set of fingerprints and the application in an envelop (I splurged on the post office $5 express mail) and set it to the address in West Virginia.

I received the clearance letter in about four weeks.

I know getting the fingerprints overseas may be a little challenging but not impossible. Just check on the FBI site and make sure you use the right card. Have your prints electronically scanned if possible because the ink is just a mess.

Good Luck
fpshangzhou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually surprised that the US consulate/embassies don't offer this as a regular service, as it's becoming commonplace to get background checks for many jobs overseas. Not only would it prove to be a necessary and convenient service for the citizens, the gov't would make money on it. Either way, I have followed everyone's advice and found a location in Shanghai, found on the FBI website.
For anyone interested for future reference, these are 2 fingerprinting Channelers found in China. (found on US consulate Shanghai website)

Beijing: “Beijing Tongda Shoucheng Institute of Judicial Expertise Science” (北京通达首诚司法鉴定所). Tel: 010-6290-7011.
Shanghai: “Forensic Science and Technology Institute” (司法鉴定科学技术研究所司法鉴定中心). Tel: 5235-2957.

If anyone has used the services in Shanghai, I'd like to hear about your experience, such as the price, and quality of fingerprints, etc.

Cheers,
Aaron
spicykimchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of getting the fingerprints taken care of because I'm considering teaching in that red-pepper country that's nearby, (but we're not allowed to say the name on here.)

The process is a bit obnoxious. I had someone call the forensics place that's listed above, but they said that it's 1,500 RMB!

I went to a notary public in Zhongshan Park, and they said that it's around 300 RMB, so I'll probably go there. I just wish that I could get my prints without the paper and ink, as I did in the U.S. once. When you use the fancy-shmancy digital machine thang, it automatically tells you if the print's good or not. The last thing that I want to do is to find out a few weeks later that the prints aren't good enough.

The notary place is on (I think) on the 7th floor of 1055 Changning Road, Z-Park Station.
FCUM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi spicykimchi, I live in Shanghai and also need to get fingerprints done for the FBI background check...did you have any success with the notary public in Zhongshan Park?

Did it end up being 300 rmb, and how long did it take? Were they good prints, and could you get multiple copies?

Thanks! Smile
spicykimchi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FCUM wrote:
Hi spicykimchi, I live in Shanghai and also need to get fingerprints done for the FBI background check...did you have any success with the notary public in Zhongshan Park?

Did it end up being 300 rmb, and how long did it take? Were they good prints, and could you get multiple copies?

Thanks! Smile

Thud-thud-thud. Oh, sorry. I was busy banging my head against a wall. Right . . . here's what happened. So I went back there with a coworker and was about to pay. I asked, "Is there some sort of guarantee? I'd hate to pay 300 RMB or more and then get the fingerprints rejected. Does the person who does it have a lot of experience?" They just looked at us in a stupid way and said, "What? We don't take your fingerprints. We just supply the ink. You do it yourself."

I'm either just going to send in a few copies, hoping that it works, or I'm going to just go through that Forensic Institute place.

Shanghai: “Forensic Science and Technology Institute” (司法鉴定科学技术研究所司法鉴定中心). Tel: 5235-2957.

Best of luck!

Last edited by spicykimchi on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Listerine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone wrote a couple of days ago on the Suzhou Facebook group that they'd gotten their fingerprints done with appointment at the actual US Consulate in Shangers. No idea about pricing, or accuracy, but worth a phone call or email perhaps.

(*edit - here's the exchange*)

Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm leaving China soon for another job, and for this I need to get an FBI background check and also a criminal record check from China.

I have 2 questions, first, does anyone know where to get fingerprints taken for the FBI check? Can I go to a local police station or somewhere else in Suzhou, or do I need to go to Shanghai?...they seem to be very picky about having high quality, clear prints.

Quote:
We got our fingerprints done at the American Consulate in Shanghai for an FBI check for an adoption. Appointment required.
FCUM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info spicykimchi ... I'm coming to the same conclusion, I figure if I practice enough times and send in a few copies hopefully doing the fingerprints myself won't be an issue.

On that note, does anyone know a good place to buy white card stock in Shanghai?

Also, @listerine...checked into the US Embassy but they'll only do fingerprints for adoptions. Thanks for the tip though!
FCUM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update, I decided to bite the bullet and use the Shanghai: “Forensic Science and Technology Institute despite the excessive cost.

Went in and it looked very professional. Was sent up stairs and everything seemed fine, the girl got out the ink checked my passport etc. From then on it was weird, after trying one she said I would be better off doing it myself while she watched so there would be less pressure on the fingerprint. So basically you would be paying 1500 for the use of their ink and her watching. I was really expecting someone to be able to do this properly for me, it's not an easy thing to do on your own and where on earth they get 1500 from I have no idea. I Told her maybe it's best if I just go home and do it myself. Very odd.

Has anyone else had any luck? I'm currently in the process of doing my own but it is not going well.
Banner41

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this link would help in your situation.

But it gave a lot of good information.

Hope this helps.

http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/blog/item/3107/fastest_criminal_background_check_for_americans_in_china
FCUM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks banner41. It's not helpful for me personally as the only places for fingerprinting on that are in Yunnan but hopefully it might be able to help someone out.
Banner41

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://shanghai.usembassy-china.org.cn/recordcheck.html
drdrwolff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject: Shanghai Fingerprint Service Reply with quote

I recently had my FBI finger printing FD-258 cards with Shanghai Fingerprint Service. Call Mary 187-210-58635 WeChat SHFP187 www.shanghaifingerprintservice.com
She works 7 days and provides two copies for 1500 RMB.
Very profession! She used USA "no ink" ink for clear crisp prints. She guarantee FBI will accept her prints for 30 days.

She also did my Real Rental Fapiao for 5%. My company tested her Fapiao as real. I paid fake Fapiao agents twice-- scams. Mary is honest and delivers.

Police will not do fingerprints-I tried.

The US embassy lists Forensic office for 1500. They did not answer the phone for 4 days, then another 4 days to make booking, then 4 days delay to GO BACK TO PICK UP. Such hassle. They also want passport photo. My friend went there and for 1500 they had NO SKILL AND HANDED HIM THE INK TO ROLL HIS OWN PRINTS!!
Call Mary 187-210-58635 at Shanghai Fingerprint Service-for great service.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: