Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Check or Money Order from China? For Criminal Record Check
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huoguojiggae2017

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Check or Money Order from China? For Criminal Record Check Reply with quote

In the instruction form sent to me by Lansing government in Michigan, it states I need to send a money order or check in the amount of $30.00.

How do we get that in China? Does anyone know the Chinese for it so I can tell my school. I already asked about giving my credit card info, but I don't think they will accept that. They told me plenty of people have done this from China.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Western Union for a money order.
huoguojiggae2017

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Try Western Union for a money order.

How exactly does that work? Before I sent one to myself, then I had to go to a bank to cash it.

They want me to mail them a check. Do I just mail the receipt they give me in China? That is what I used to cash the Western Union check when I went to the USA.

Is there a way to do this without WU?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Western Union customer service to see if a money order purchased in China can be cashed in the US. But if this isn't an option, have a friend or family member in the US purchase one for your CBC.
huoguojiggae2017

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it can be cashed. I already did that as I stated. I received a receipt with an MTCN tracking number.

When I arrived in the US, I went to a few Walgreen's but the amount was too high. So, I then went to a bank and they said, "Since you are not a member of the bank it will be a long process." I just opened an account with them and then they deposited the money into the account since I then was a member of their bank.

That seems like the only limiting factor.

What I am asking is, has ANYONE done this WITHOUT Western Union? If a family member does this, then it is not much different than me doing it here and sending them a receipt with a MTCN tracking number. The State of Michigan can receive both my fingerprint form and payment in one post.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huoguojiggae2017 wrote:
What I am asking is, has ANYONE done this WITHOUT Western Union? If a family member does this, then it is not much different than me doing it here and sending them a receipt with a MTCN tracking number. The State of Michigan can receive both my fingerprint form and payment in one post.

Send your fingerprint card to your family member/friend in Michigan, have them purchase a money order from a 7-11 or post office, and then he/she mails both the money order and fingerprint card to the State of Michigan using their home address for the return.
huoguojiggae2017

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
huoguojiggae2017 wrote:

Send your fingerprint card to your family member/friend in Michigan, have them purchase a money order from a 7-11 or post office, and then he/she mails both the money order and fingerprint card to the State of Michigan using their home address for the return.

That sounds good, but the instructions say to send the form to them. In emails, it doesn't indicate that this will be allowed. Either I have to be in there in person with ID, or as someone stated in another thread the family member needs power of attorney.

I will ask them tonight though to confirm. They seemed pretty adament on the idea of me sending to them, not using a family member.

This is what they told me, "People send checks from China all the time. They just go to the bank and ask for the money to be printed on the check and in U.S. Dollars. If you only need one copy, send $30.00. if you need more than one copy, send the additional amount of how many copies you need. (i.e. 1 additional copy, it would be $31.00, which you would then receive a total of 2 copies of your background check)."
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huoguojiggae2017 wrote:
I then went to a bank and they said, "Since you are not a member of the bank it will be a long process." I just opened an account with them and then they deposited the money into the account since I then was a member of their bank.

If you're a member of a bank in the US, all you needed were personal checks for your checking account. You could have written one for this situation. Something to think about if you have to go through this again.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll figure something out.
huoguojiggae2017

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
huoguojiggae2017 wrote:
I then went to a bank and they said, "Since you are not a member of the bank it will be a long process." I just opened an account with them and then they deposited the money into the account since I then was a member of their bank.

If you're a member of a bank in the US, all you needed were personal checks for your checking account. You could have written one for this situation. Something to think about if you have to go through this again.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll figure something out.

If they just told me last year to get my criminal check when I was in the US, then none of this would have been needed. My family has already gone to police stations in my hometown, my school has taken me to police stations in the city I am in, and the only way to achieve this is to go on a pilgrimage to Beijing.

Hindsight is always 20/20
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From China, I forwarded the sealed fingerprints to a family member who gave a personal check for the fee with the fingerprints and a letter stating the reason for the check. This was for California.
huoguojiggae2017

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
From China, I forwarded the sealed fingerprints to a family member who gave a personal check for the fee with the fingerprints and a letter stating the reason for the check. This was for California.

And apparently Michigan too.

1. Get fingerprints in one of the big cities (Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangdong, Chengdu, Hainan, etc...)
2. Mail them to a family member
3. Include a letter stating a reason for the check.

The only thing I don't like about this is step 2. You might not have a family member who can do this. They are relying too heavily on third party help. The system should work fine between teacher and whatever service is bring rendered, criminal background check, diploma authentication, etc...

Here is a list of places you can go to. Also, the Beijing one stated I don't need an appointment, just passport and 800RMB.

"Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance." - from their .pdf file

BEIJING Beijing Tongdashoucheng Institute of Judicial Expertise Science 北京通达首诚司法鉴定所 Add: 2/F, Building 2, No. 23 Yongtaizhuang Zhonglu, Haidian Dist., Beijing 北京市海淀区永泰中路 23号 2号楼 1层 (北京市公安局法医鉴定中心院内) Tel: 010-6290 7011(Reception), 010-8399 4891(Fingerprinting services appointments) Office hours: Monday - Friday 09:00-15:00

CHENGDU, SICHUAN PROVINCE Sichuan QiuShi Judicial Identification Office 四川求实司法鉴定所 Add: 16/F, Builing 2, Hongxing Guoji II, No.69 Qingyun S. Road, Jinjiang Dist, Chengdu, Sichuan 四川省成都市锦江区庆云南街 69号红星国际 2期 2号楼 16层 Tel: 028-8675 1183, 028-8678 9392 Office hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00AM – 17:00PM

FUZHOU, FUJIAN PROVINCE Fuzhou Notary Public Office 福州市公证处 Add: 5/F, Fuzhou Municipal Public Service Center, No. 69 Gaoqiao Road, Taijiang Dist., Fuzhou, Fujian 福建省福州市台江区高桥路 69号 5楼 Tel: 0591-8621 1391

GUANGZHOU, GUANGDONG PROVINCE Guangzhou Nanfang Notary Public Office 广州市南方公证处 Add: 9-11/F, Xinde Commercial Building, No. 246 Zhongshan Fourth Road, Guangzhou, Guangdong 广州市中山四路 246号信德商务大厦 9至 11楼 Tel: 020-8363 5851, 020-8363 5833 Office hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 12:00 pm and 2:00 – 5:30 pm,

The Criminal Science and Technology Center , Guangzhou Public Security Bureau 广州市公安局刑事科学技术鉴定中心 Add: #30 Cangbian Road, Guangzhou 广东省广州市仓边路 30号 Tel: 020- 8311 6486 Office hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 – 11:30 am and 2:30 – 5:00 pm,

HAIKOU, HAINAN PROVINCE Hainan Notary Public Office 海南省公证处 Add: 3/F Yuyuan Building, 69 Haifu Road, Haikou, Hainan 海南省海口市海府路 69号艺苑大厦 3楼 Tel: 0898-6534 3572

KUNMING, YUNNAN PROVINCE Expert Testimony Center of Yunnan Police Officer College 云南警官学院-司法鉴定中心 Add: Rm# 911, 9/F Sci. & Tech. Mansion, No. 249 Jiaochang N. Road, Wuhua Dist., Kunming, Yunnan 云南省昆明市五华区教场北路 249号教学科技楼 九楼 911号 Tel: 0871- 6513 5872 Office hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00AM – 17:00PM

NANNING, GUANGXI AUTONOMOUS REGION Nanning Dongbo Notary Public Office 南宁市东博公证处 Add: 4/F, Xiyi Multipurpose Building, No. 2 Maoqiao Road, Qingxiu Dist., Nanning, Guangxi 广西壮族自治区南宁市青秀区茅桥路 2号 习艺综 合楼四楼 Tel: 0771-275 0880, 0771-275 0881

SHANGHAI Forensic Science and Technology Institute 司法鉴定科学技术研究所司法鉴定中心 Add: No. 1347 Guangfu W. Road, Putuo Dist., Shanghai 上海市普陀区光复西路 1347号 Tel: 021-5236 1148

SHENZHEN, GUANGDONG PROVINCE Shenzhen Notary Public Office at Industrial Bank Building 深圳市公证处兴业银行大厦办证室 Add: 17-18/F, Xingye Bank Building, No. 4013 Shennan Dadao, Futian Dist., Shenzhen, Guangdong 广东省深圳市福田区深南大道 4013号兴业银行大 厦 17、18楼 Tel: 0755-8302 4169

Shenzhen Notary Public Office at Tianping Building 深圳市公证处天平大厦办证室 Add: 4/F, Tianping Building, No. 76 Jingtian Road, Futian Dist., Shenzhen, Guangdong 广东省深圳市福田区景田路 76号天平大厦 4楼 Tel: 0755- 8305 3867

Shenzhen Notary Public Office at International Trust Building 深圳市公证处国际信托大厦办证室 Add: 4/F, International Trust Building, Hongling Central Road, Luohu Dist., Shenzhen, Guangdong 广东省深圳市罗湖区红岭中路国际信托大厦 4楼 Tel: 0755-2558 9812

Shenzhen Notary Public Office located in Nanshan District 深圳市公证处南山办证室 Add: Rm#8, 25/F, Poly City Building, Nanyou Dadao, Nanshan Dist., Shenzhen, Guangdong 广东省深圳市南山区南油大道保利城大厦 25楼 08室 Tel: 0755-6138 1081

XIAMEN, FUJIAN PROVINCE Xiamen Notary Public Office 厦门市公证处 Add: 5/F, Tianlu Building, 2 Tong An Road, Siming Dist., Xiamen, Fujian 福建省厦门市思明区同安路 2号天鹭大厦 5楼 Tel: 0592-202 5320, 0592-202 5321, 0592-202 5322
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that it is not China relying on on this. It is US government at the point you are submitting fingerprints. The state of California will not submit results to a foreign address, therefore, I had to have it sent to my mom.

I can vouch for the Chengdu listing, got it done.
huoguojiggae2017

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The state of California will not submit results to a foreign address, therefore, I had to have it sent to my mom.

I am not sure if this is a difference between our two states, but my understanding is that after the fingerprint check is notarized by my state police department (Michigan), it then has to go to a "Super Center" Secretary of State office which will certify the notary so it can be authenticated through the Chinese Consulate.

In either case, the Secretary or State or Chinese Consulate, it would be a lot cheaper to send in the US than being sent to China (if it could be) and then back to US to a family member to get it certified.

Maybe California is different (or I don't have the steps down correctly Crying or Very sad).
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huoguojiggae2017 wrote:
If they just told me last year to get my criminal check when I was in the US, then none of this would have been needed. My family has already gone to police stations in my hometown, my school has taken me to police stations in the city I am in, and the only way to achieve this is to go on a pilgrimage to Beijing.

This is all on you. As countries start to tighten up on visa requirements for expat workers, it's imperative that teachers maintain a base in their passport country. That means an active bank account (with personal checks), current driver's license or state ID, and an address at a relative's home.
huoguojiggae2017

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
huoguojiggae2017 wrote:

This is all on you. As countries start to tighten up on visa requirements for expat workers, it's imperative that teachers maintain a base in their passport country. That means an active bank account (with personal checks), current driver's license or state ID, and an address at a relative's home.

A base? Let's look at what you stated.

Quote:
This is all on you.

Yes, it is all on the teacher, whether it is gradual or all at once. I never stated it wasn't.

However, the school that wants the teacher is indirectly affected. That is not the teacher, it's not their base, and it's not a financial institution connected with the teacher's money.

In my case, I have no problem with plans B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R. S, T, U , V, W, X, Y, Z, AB, AC, AD, etc... etc... etc...

But the school has BIG problems if they can't get a teacher to teach starting September. That is all on them. The teacher has nothing to do with that. They can go to School A or School B. The desperation to get a teacher will end up at other schools, and they will hire teachers on a tourist visa. I am not saying someone should be looking out for each of us, I am just pointing out the pitfalls of enforcing a change of rules like this so abruptly 2 months before a new school year starts. It would have made more sense to have done this in winter when we could go back to our "base" and get the new documents sorted. It's all on me to satisfy my part, but my part is about 1% of the greater picture. The school needs the teacher to bring in students. The school needs a teacher to be present in class. The administration needs to see a teacher in the classroom when they do their September visits. The rich parents paying for classes with a native English teacher need the teacher. The Chinese teachers need to pass their students, and while we don't play a huge part in their actual studies with those teachers, we do provide the motivation for them to continue months into the school year. It's a domino effect.

Quote:
tighten up on visa requirements for expat workers

I am not an "expat". This is a cutesy term for people to stay connected to a country without actually even handing in a passport and being an "ex" of anything. That is for another thread though, so I will leave it at that.

Quote:
it's imperative that teachers maintain a base in their passport country

So, I need to go back to USA, build up this "base" you are saying, convince my brothers, sisters, mother, father, grandmothers, grandfathers, uncles, aunts, and cousins to move to the base? You are out of your freakin mind lady.

What about orphans or widowers in their 50's without siblings or familial connections? You can't just own a house so you can come to China and teach.

The truth is, with a little more money you can get things notarized through a courier service. Having a family member to help is a convenience, not a requirement or necessity.

Quote:
That means an active bank account (with personal checks)

That can be your personal decision, but it should not be advised because some people view the opposite. If I do have a family member back in the states who can help out then they would have the ability to write checks or get one at a bank. Conversely, if they wanted something in China and didn't have the capability to pay for something through Alipay or Wechat, or even the simple unionpay cards, I could make the purchase for them.

This is a safer security measure than having a blank checkbook around. Chances are slim, but it's a financial decision I don't want to be a part of.

Quote:
current driver's license or state ID

I'll address the second first, what state? I may be from Michigan but if I were to get a state ID it sure wouldn't be for Michigan. The assumption we have a state already is at best naive. If we have a family member we might be using their address as our home address but it's not really where we can make house decisions. Get the idea? We are merely visitors here in China on a TEMPORARY RESIDENCE PERMIT and we are VISITORS at our family member's house.

There is no legal connection beyond that with the state that address is in.

If you go to say Florida and rent an apartment for 5 years on your own, then come to China, what address do you use? A new tenant is now living in that apartment and you haven't lived with a family member in at least 5 years.

Perhaps you can use a Florida state ID, but do those need addresses on them?

For a driver's license you do have to give an address. Perhaps an international driver's license would make more sense if it connects you with your home country. If not, then the driver's license is just an extra piece of ID, and so far no one has asked for it since being in Asia for almost 15 years.

Yea, you could have it, but I am not sure what benefits there are unless you are actually planning on driving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: