Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming to Thailand Next April

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MurdochP83

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Coming to Thailand Next April Reply with quote

Hi all,

My name's Paul, I'm 34 and I live in Glasgow.

I am selling my apartment here for various reasons and I'd like to move to Thailand next April to teach English.

Taking into account; how long I've been in my current job, my age and that this is something I have wanted to do for a long time, I feel that now is the perfect time to take the plunge.

I have;

A BA Degree
120 Hour TEFL Certificate
UK Passport
No criminal record and I'm hoping to get a clean bill of health
No teaching experience, but I do have some training experience

I've given myself a few months to get my affairs in order in the UK, save some money and also do a lot of reading before I come out.

I may have a couple of questions further down the line before I fly out to Land of Smiles Smile.

Cheers
Paul
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Paul

Welcome to the Land of Smiles! You should have no problem finding work here in April. May is when all the Thai schools need teachers and there will be loads of teaching vacancies then. Just remember to bring at least 3,000 Euros with you and you'll be fine. Good luck! Very Happy
GHL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope the girl is really hot because the rest of your life is gonna be a 40k baht a month existance, at best.
jim_brava

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GHL wrote:
Hope the girl is really hot because the rest of your life is gonna be a 40k baht a month existance, at best.

I wouldn't say "at best", but certainly "on average".

Most teachers who are not qualified as such in their home countries (e.g. no PGCE, etc.) earn 40K-ish, but 60-70K is possible at Assumption and BCC - in addition to any privates/tutoring at the weekend.

That said, I agree with the overall premise that Thailand's unfavorable supply-demand situation makes it one of the worst places to earn a good salary.

Personally, I'd consider keeping my bricks and mortar in the UK (either keeping the current one, or selling it and immediately buying a new place) and renting it out.

A UK rent income in addition to even a low-commitment 30K-ish position - which would mostly only done for the easy visa and a sense of "purpose" - would suddenly become pretty comfortable.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be wise to see what happens in Bangkok in a couple days this Friday.

This will be a bellwether for things to come during the end of this year and the start of the next.
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
It would be wise to see what happens in Bangkok in a couple days this Friday.

This will be a bellwether for things to come during the end of this year and the start of the next.

MOD EDIT Phillip Morris' dividend increase on Thursday will be more of a bellwether. OP, you can find something...maybe think out of the box a bit, by avoiding the tourist traps. You aren't needed and won't be appreciated. Consider Udon Thani or Khon Kaen. Scots are known for having a horrible accent, so keep that in mind. Get some sealed transcripts, a criminal report, and your diploma.

As stated, an extra few hundred from being a landlord makes a huge difference.
Most, just don't comprehend the differences in being broke on 30k per month, and making 30k per month while having several million in the bank. I hate being a landlord, so I sold my places and get 6-7% from apartment REITs and 4% from utilities. Look at some of the Facebook groups.....Ajarn jobs have gotten pretty bad. First it was the Phils, then the Eastern Europeans, lately everyone seems to be from SA...all of them willing to work for at least a third less than NES.

Saw a job with hours 0730-1700...MOD EDIT And you can bet it doesn't end there. Focus on the details...if the school is vague; there is a reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: