Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching TEFL in Argentina?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpfaffen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Teaching TEFL in Argentina? Reply with quote

Hello All,
I'm getting ready to sign up for an 11 weeks online course to get certified as a TEFL and supposedly the certification will allow me to teach English in Argentina.

I'm reaching out to all of you hoping someone can let me know if a TEFL certificate is enough to teach English in this country. The company I'm getting certified from is offering guidance to get a job after the course is completed. My biggest concern is that after investing some big bucks in getting the certification I end up jobless and frustrated! ~please send your comments, advice ASAP~
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be worried considering the Argentina forum has been quiet for nearly a year. That should tell you something about the state of TEFL in the country.

Where else are you interested in teaching?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP seems to be already located in Argentina - I suggest you go around to potential employers and ask them what qualifications are needed!

This would also be a proactive and positive way to introduce yourself to them as a potential candidate.
mpfaffen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="spiral78"]The OP seems to be already located in Argentina - I suggest you go around to potential employers and ask them what qualifications are needed!

Thanks! what does "OP" stand for?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original Poster ( I assume:-))
mpfaffen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else can share additional comments or tips? Thanks in advance!!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpfaffen wrote:
I'm getting ready to sign up for an 11 weeks online course to get certified as a TEFL and supposedly the certification will allow me to teach English in Argentina.

I'm reaching out to all of you hoping someone can let me know if a TEFL certificate is enough to teach English in this country. The company I'm getting certified from is offering guidance to get a job after the course is completed. My biggest concern is that after investing some big bucks in getting the certification I end up jobless and frustrated! ~please send your comments, advice ASAP~

Spiral gave you good advice since you're apparently already in Argentina. You'll have to determine: 1) What the TEFL market is like for newbie teachers; and 2) whether your online cert is accepted. Start by visiting language schools and checking job ads for requirements. Also read through the Argentina forum. It's been dormant for about a year but might offer some info on teaching there. Ditto for connecting with other teachers in Buenos Aires. Google Buenos Aires expat forum to join discussions with other expats.

If you find that TEFL job openings are rare, then consider heading elsewhere for your first job or putting your Argentina teaching plans on hold.
mpfaffen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the Argentina forum link. The statistics are a bit outdated but indeed it helps. Best!
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, mpfaffen, and welcome to the forum!

If you are already in Argentina, then as already suggested, visit some schools in person, and ask what they are looking for in potential new hires. An on-line cert will not put you at the top of anyone's list, but you can find out whether there will be job possibilities for you, and how competitive the market is. In most of Latin America, an unrelated BA and an on-site TEFL course with supervised teaching practice is enough to qualify you for entry-level jobs. If employers receive a flood of applications from qualifed applicants, your on-line course won't cut it; but if not, they'll take a look at you.

Caveat: what I know of the teaching situation in BA is several years old and second-hand at that. But what I remember is that the difficulties were such that most teachers did not stay for too long. One complaint was that much of the work was in-company, with a lot of unpaid hours running around the city, resulting in long days. Another was an uncertain visa situation requiring periodic travel outside the country to renew.

Either or both of these may have changed in the last few years, but living expenses continue to be high. Argentina has had more than its share of economic problems, including high inflation--as much as 40% a year. The new(ish) administration had hopes of effecting a quick economic turnaround, but so far that hasn't happened. (They elected a businessman with no political experience thinking that he could bring change to the political scene. Go figure.)

There is a an agency called something like "Connecting Schools to the World" that places new teachers in public schools in Argentina for a semester. They provide two weeks of teacher training, accomodation, meals, Spanish classes, and some (little) cash. But it could be a way for you to add some classroom training to your on-line course, and then be able to apply for jobs with some experience under your belt, as well as in-country references which count for a lot. Their teacher training and orientation is in July or August, so coming right up.

My other suggestion is a blog about teaching English in Argentina that I came across a few months ago. I can't remember the name, but I'll take a look and see if I can find it again.

Good luck!

AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! Unfortunately I have to withdraw my suggestion that you look into the Connecting Schools to the World program. I just came across their most recent ad on Idealist, and they have made a huge change in the program. They now charge a $2,000 fee! This used to be such a great program to recommend, but not any longer.

At any rate, it doesn't appear that the OP followed the thread when it was moved from its original General Discussion location to this more suitable spot.

mpfaffen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the input, advice and suggestions!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: