Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it necessary to authenticate one's BA if you have an MA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Is it necessary to authenticate one's BA if you have an MA? Reply with quote

I have an M.A. in TESOL. I am wondering if I would have to authenticate both the M.A. and B.A. ?

Thanks in advance.
Alien abductee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it necessary to authenticate one's BA if you have an Reply with quote

JohnRambo wrote:
I have an M.A. in TESOL. I am wondering if I would have to authenticate both the M.A. and B.A. ?

No-one has ever asked to see my undergrad diploma, so I would say authenticating the higher degree is enough. But the way things are going right now with some of these new requirements, that to be honest seem way over the top, who knows?
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it necessary to authenticate one's BA if you have an Reply with quote

Alien abductee wrote:
JohnRambo wrote:

No-one has ever asked to see my undergrad diploma, so I would say authenticating the higher degree is enough. But the way things are going right now with some of these new requirements, that to be honest seem way over the top, who knows?

Thanks for answering my question. In South Korea, it's a different case; that's why I asked. When I applied for my visa to go to South Korea back in the day I had to get both my Canadian B.A. and American M.A. authenticated. That was difficult to pull off. Luckily, if I ever go back to Korea, I wouldn't have to do it again as it's all on file now. I am glad China is fine with just authenticating the M.A.
JamesD

Location: "As far as I'm concerned bacon comes from a magical happy place."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the FEB in Liaoning...

3. Highest Diploma and Professional certification materials (TEFL/TESOL, etc.) and other related certificates authenticated by Chinese embassy in your home country.
natsume

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesD wrote:
From the FEB in Liaoning...

3. Highest Diploma and Professional certification materials (TEFL/TESOL, etc.) and other related certificates authenticated by Chinese embassy in your home country.

This is only the first time I've applied for a Chinese visa, but the FEB in Chongqing has not (yet) asked for any certs being authenticated, just the MA.

That said, I still don't have my invitation letter/work permit. They insisted that they needed the originals of my authenticated documents 5 weeks and 2 days after I had sent them scans (which my uni said were fine), so I had to rush FedEx them (which still took a week). I'm promised I will get it next week.

So I'll be late - which doesn't seem to be a concern for the FEB!

I really don't like that "other related certificates" language in the quote above. I've already spent about $700, and I know others have wound up paying far more. No need to explicitly state how I feel about this!
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently moved from Sichuan, where I was for years with nothing authenticated, to Jiangsu. I needed to authenticate my BA, but not my PGCE. I do need to go to HK next week to get a new Z visa Rolling Eyes
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
I recently moved from Sichuan, where I was for years with nothing authenticated, to Jiangsu. I needed to authenticate my BA, but not my PGCE. I do need to go to HK next week to get a new Z visa Rolling Eyes

One of my friends moved to Sichuan. He's in Chengdu. He only had his M.A. authenticated. That's what his recruiter wanted. It was for a university position. A recruiter I know said it can depend where you apply in terms of needing the B.A. authenticated. To be on the safe side, I'm having it done. It wouldn't hurt to present them both, I think.

I hope you like Sichuan. They've got great food. I may end up moving there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: