Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

At age 62, where can I work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rioux

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wawaguagua wrote:
Non Sequitur wrote:
OP could try, but please have an exit plan. Also the further West you go the more expensive it will be go leave and return (from HK, Korea or Japan) on a new tourist visa.

On the flipside, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Mongolia also have very relaxed visa-free regimes for foreigners and are much cheaper to stay in while waiting for the visa. Kazakhstan is very easy to enter and re-enter from, too. Just wanted to put that put there.

How are they with age requirements?
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
wawaguagua wrote:
Non Sequitur wrote:
OP could try, but please have an exit plan. Also the further West you go the more expensive it will be go leave and return (from HK, Korea or Japan) on a new tourist visa.

On the flipside, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Mongolia also have very relaxed visa-free regimes for foreigners and are much cheaper to stay in while waiting for the visa. Kazakhstan is very easy to enter and re-enter from, too. Just wanted to put that put there.

How are they with age requirements?

I'm not suggesting these countries as places to work (A. I have no idea and B. Such discussion is best had on the appropriate country/region forums, not the China board). I'm just adding on to Non-Sequitur's point about places to go for visa runs being limited to HK, Korea, and Japan.
bagua8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My previous employer in Zhejiang employed a number of over60s. Have things changed very recently?
KayuJati

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other countries are beginning to enforce an age requirement also.

The Malaysian government will not issue a work permit for foreigners over the age of 60. Yes, some currently working may be able to get extensions past age of 60 (with guanxi, of course) but new employment is nigh impossible. Yes there will some other exceptions but a few anecdotes here and there do not help new hire hopefuls navigate the connections needed for those.

People should go into ESL or the expat lifestyle with their eyes wide open. Whereas we can work until our mid to late 60's in the USA, many Asian countries nearly force retirement on their people between the ages of 55 and 60. Life expectancies are not as long so it is unusual for the over 60 crowd to still be employed.

In Malaysia, I ran up against the 10-year rule. After working at a university for 12 years, the government noticed that the school was asking for a one-year extension. The refused to renew.

I was also 56 at the time and would have come up against the age of 60 rule next even if I could have gotten renewed. So, instead of fighting to hang on, I returned to the USA and got a STEM job for which I completed 5 years and got vested in the pension fund. I am in much better retirement shape now than if I had fought to hang on to the expat lifestyle.
mrenglish2nd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in China until I was 62. From age 59 to 61 I was 100% self-employed in private tutoring, illegal as I was on a business visa. At age 62 I got a one-quarter time job at one of the leading high schools in Guangzhou, illegal visa and all. At that same school a new hire came in at age 68. I left China in late 2014 so my knowledge of the latest visa situation is dated, but I guess you can work at any age in China if a school with a bit of pull wants you, and self-employment as a private tutor is more lucrative in China than pretty much anywhere on the planet. There are numerous posts on this.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recruiting office in London told me that 60 was age limit, except for those who had exceptional qualifications.
mrenglish2nd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In London? Hardly the best place to look for work in China.
Kalkstein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Recruiting office in London told me that 60 was age limit, except for those who had exceptional qualifications.

It is, we couldn't hire a 60 year old PhD for our university in Henan because of the age restrictions. Renewals on the other hand are fine and I know teachers over 60 here but they've been working at their schools for many years.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrenglishthesecond

Large recruiting office in London run by the Catholic Church. Those who prefer can go and pound the pavements of China looking for a school to hire them.

Mrenglish may also not be aware of the fact that London was traditionally one of the cities where English teachers were recruited.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Those who prefer can go and pound the pavements of China looking for a school to hire them'.

I think those days are long gone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: