Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z-visa for Filipinos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainbow44

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Z-visa for Filipinos Reply with quote

My school, which struggles to find qualified native English speaking applicants, wants to offer an English teaching position to a Filipina with a BA in English education, MA is Education, a teaching license in the Philippines, and ten years of English teaching experience at Korean schools. She is currently working at Disney English in Shanghai with a Z-visa.

With the new visa policies going into effect earlier this year, she has heard that schools and language academies are not renewing contracts for Filipino teachers in China.

I really need someone to give me some reliable information about securing a working visa for this highly qualified teacher.

Please, do not share with me the requirements for working in China. I know the requirements, and I'm perfectly well-aware that one of those requirements is that teachers must teach in their native language.
mitsui

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people from the Philippines in Japan.
It is much easier for them to get a visa. They tend to teach at elementary schools, but not always.
Kalkstein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Z-visa for Filipinos Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you're expecting as you've already answered your own question.

Rainbow44 wrote:
I know the requirements, and I'm perfectly well-aware that one of those requirements is that teachers must teach in their native language.

You already know one of requirements is to teach your native language, therefore securing a Z visa is near impossible even for someone arguably more qualified than a native. Do you have connections? I expect not because you're here asking this... in which case good luck.

Rainbow44 wrote:

With the new visa policies going into effect earlier this year, she has heard that schools and language academies are not renewing contracts for Filipino teachers in China.

She is correct, I've known quite a few people who have lost their due to this including a fantastic Filipino teacher with a BA in English at my university. She got released recently.

Rainbow44 wrote:
My school, which struggles to find qualified native English speaking applicants

I think this is your real problem here, you need to address this issue. I don't know if it's a case of low salary, poor housing, location (up the salary) or lack of benefits. Whatever the case if your school doesn't fix it, all I can say is have fun. You're not the only school struggling to find native English teachers as of lately.
JamesD

Location: "As far as I'm concerned bacon comes from a magical happy place."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have this exact situation here in Dalian.
I have a Filipino teacher who has been here a few years and they did allow us to renew her visa. BUT, I tried to hire a new Filipino teacher and the PSB said they would not issue a work visa for Filipinos who are coming in for the first time. They tell us that the teacher here now 'grandfathered' in so the decision not to renew may be just schools' knee-jerk reaction.
How long has this teacher held a Chinese work visa? Is that ten years at Korean schools in China or Korea? Ask the local boys in blue if it makes a difference that the teacher currently has a Z visa in ShangHai.
lionheartuk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that be for all Filipino teachers regardless of subject matter or just English teachers?

There are two at this school and they have been here for about seven yrs. One teaches science in primary school and one works in the kindergarten.
Their English is better than many native speakers.
They usually get two year permits
JamesD

Location: "As far as I'm concerned bacon comes from a magical happy place."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lionheartuk wrote:
Would that be for all Filipino teachers regardless of subject matter or just English teachers?..........

Is that question for me? If so, it's regardless of position. No visas for Filipino rookies, renewal for vets ok.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: