Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I caught the travel bug again, what should I do?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: I caught the travel bug again, what should I do? Reply with quote

I am now in Tanzania. I am really enjoying this trip. I have a good government job in the United States, but am thinking about giving it up to go abroad again, any suggestions? Is a stable living and pension worth spending the next 25 years working a job I don't really enjoy!

Last edited by JZer on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Peace Corps is a far cry from that Defense Language Institute job you were recently pursuing.

Rather than asking others for suggestions on countries or opportunities, perhaps your best strategy is to first figure out what's most important to you: a personally rewarding opportunity or one that's rigid but pays a lot. In other words, which type of teaching situation appeals to you the most and why. Or maybe you're mostly interested in just traveling as a tourist rather than giving up your good government job altogether.
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Defense Language Institute job would be an excellent solution. However, it may be difficult to get hired. I have applied for the job.
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, I could just travel and work for the United States government. However, I don't particularly like my job. It is too rigid. I have three options: Peace Corps, Defense Language Institute, and Foreign Service. I have applied to the Foreign Service and DLI. There is no guarantee that either organization offers me a job.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
I don't particularly like my job. It is too rigid. I have three options: Peace Corps, Defense Language Institute, and Foreign Service. I have applied to the Foreign Service and DLI. There is no guarantee that either organization offers me a job.

The Foreign Service is extremely competitive to get accepted into. And if you don't like your current job because it's too rigid, then you'll likely not find the DLI to be a good fit. That leaves the Peace Corps as your best bet.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be walking down the street, minding your own business, and a blood vessel could burst in your brain. Or you could befall countless other unexpected accidents. Life is too short to not be doing what you want.
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF, I agree. Maybe I should apply to the Peace Corps. I would also know about the Foreign Service and Defense Language Institute by then anyways.
Yanklonigan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do it. If you give up your decent job with a good pension you're 99% for certain going to regret down the road. English teaching turns out to be a good career choice for a few people but it is a fly-by-night job for the vast majority of people. Traveling is great but overrated; you'll get your fill of it quickly. Traveling can also be addictive where no matter how much you see, it'll never be enough. It would be really silly to give up a decent job in your native land for the life of a the cowboy. By reading the posts here, you can clearly see how many people are miserable in this line of work.
Yanklonigan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your government job is one that most people who die for. Stick with it and find satisfaction by getting promoted within that system. Work your way up the ladder. Like you mentioned before: travel during your vacation. Traveling is better in small doses. You don't have to deal with homesickness or disadvantages of living in a foreign land. Perhaps there are opportunities to travel within your branch of the government. You maybe young now but old age comes rapidly and then you'll be happy that you stuck with your job and it's pension. The disadvantages of being and English Teachers overseas far outweigh the advantages. The people who are happy to have spent their lives in ESl/EFL is probably 5% if that!

Good luck with whatever you decide. Life is full of risks. I don't want to give you a bum steer.
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yanklonigan, you make some good points. I have been to 45 countries and have not gotten my fill of it. First, will there even be a government pension in 30 years? Ask people who gave up 30 years of their lives for a pension and the company went broke. I would say that a pension is never guaranteed.

It also comes down to whether, it is worth exchanging 30 years of your life for a pension?
sammysez

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do NOT have the travel bug, yet I have to keep going overseas to find gainful employment.

Obviously, you should travel??
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate everyone's advice. I really dislike my current job. I was an EFL teacher for six years. I am not considering going back to teaching EFL unless I get the position with DLI. My best bet may be to find a government job abroad. However, I may quit my job whether I move abroad or not.
Yanklonigan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you the best of luck in the world for whatever road you follow.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Normies" just go on vacation. It is a big step to take the vows necessary to enter into TEFLing !
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are already limiting yourself before you have even left the country. To move on from your cozy gig in the US means going for freedom, enjoyment and something of the unexpected. However, you will apparently only go for a Peace Corps, Foreign Service or Defense Language Institute job... so you are playing it safe. If you kept your options open I would have more faith in a successful change..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: