Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sending cash w/o Iqama by going to Bahrain
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobartwells

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Sending cash w/o Iqama by going to Bahrain Reply with quote

I am on a business visa and am getting paid in cash. My place of work is Dammam. I cannot send money out of Saudi into my bank account in the US w/ o an Iqama but i have heard of people doing it in Bahrain. Would anybody please share how you have done it if you have done it? What bank you went to/ exchange office, etc. Which I can go to on a weekend.

I would really like a simple answer. No preaching about Iqamas and ' i told you so" s.
siologen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: re: a fair post... Reply with quote

And something I have wondered about myself! There was an american who posted some time back about this issue, but I can't recall if he mentioned Bahrain. I do hope the differing visa types can be left out of this question, as per your request, and that you get some helpful answers.

Cheers,
S
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=115238&highlight=cash

i did a quick SEARCH and gpt that. There are more threads.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy to do but you can only legally take SAR 60K out of the country at any one time.

I'd recommend any BFC branch in Bahrain. Their rates cannot be beaten, but avoid the branch near Bab Al Bahrain as it can be super busy. Plenty of other smaller ones do the same stuff though with a shorter waiting time.
hobartwells

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Is it a bank? Or an exchange office / booth? Are they open on a weekend? Would just a passport be enough?

The other leads given were references and links leading to nowhere. Search yielding zero info. Except sermonizing and telling me to fly back to the US and spend thousands and many weeks on getting a work visa. My question was at what bank or exchange office in Bahrain can I send money to a bank in the US? Such a simple topic.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobartwells wrote:
Is it a bank? Or an exchange office / booth? Are they open on a weekend? Would just a passport be enough?

Have you talked with your expat coworkers about their experiences transferring cash to their bank accounts back home? Confused They're a good source of first-hand info.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobartwells wrote:
Thank you! Is it a bank? Or an exchange office / booth? Are they open on a weekend? Would just a passport be enough?

BFC is the main financial exchange company in Bahrain. They have offices all over the place, sometimes where you least expect them. They're open at the weekend and yes a passport should just be enough. Best ring them though to check. We only ever send money with a CPR (Bahraini iqama equivalent) so can't vouch for the passport only thing but I wouldn't imagine it would be a problem.
siologen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: re: good reply... Reply with quote

Quote:
We only ever send money with a CPR (Bahraini iqama equivalent) so can't vouch for the passport only thing but I wouldn't imagine it would be a problem.

Good reply,but I would wager the OP can be a bit pedantic like myself, and would not like a wasted trip. If you (or someone else from Dammam or actually in Bahrain?) could verify if just a passport is definitely OK for those working in Saudi sans iqama, then that would be something more concrete to go on. Just my two fils on!!!!! Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Cool Shocked Very Happy
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, you are not going to get a 100% correct answer unless you call them yourself. Regulations change quite rapidly. Otherwise, just go and see what is on offer.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFC is the Bahraini equivalent of Al-Rajhi, Al-Amoudi or Enjaz in KSA. These are companies that began as "Seraf" or Moneychangers and grew to be banks.

The OP is looking for cast-iron answers. He seems to be risk averse. He may have to go to Bahrain and find out for himself.

Last edited by scot47 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
squiggs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Rest assured that you CAN remit Saudi Riyal to your home country via BFC.
The service charge is nominal and they offer very reasonable exchange rates.

I have worked for a few years in Saudi and my last post would pay monthly salaries out in cash. I was on a business visa in KSA that particular time and all I required was to show my Canadian passport and fill in the requisite receiving bank details and pass it through the window to the clerk. They offered me a courtesy BFC remittance card that made it much quicker and more efficient for future transactions. My last remittance was circa 2015. Quite painless and quite possibly the most expeditious option at your disposal. Funds typically showed up in my Canadian bank account on the same same day.
Hope this will reassure you and give you piece of mind.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: re: good reply... Reply with quote

siologen wrote:
Good reply,but I would wager the OP can be a bit pedantic like myself, and would not like a wasted trip.

yeesh... I advised calling them to check this. Not hard to do and proves you can actually wipe your own bum.

In any case, if he's on a business visa he's going to Bahrain ANYWAY Rolling Eyes
siologen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: re: correct Reply with quote

Quote:
In any case, if he's on a business visa he's going to Bahrain ANYWAY

You are right there. Can make enquiries on the ground.
hobartwells

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, gentlemen, I will schedule a trip to Bahrain soon. Just found the BFC website, as well.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobartwells wrote:
Just found the BFC website, as well.

see! He's not thick, is he? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: