Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RAYTHEON/SALTS now on the trash dump of history
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris P. Bacon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: RAYTHEON/SALTS now on the trash dump of history Reply with quote

Sigh, a sudden end to the tumultuous history of the SALTS gig in Jeddah AND Taif. This one lasted for years and paid well partly due to the ongoing teacher harassment that ebbed and flowed, and partially due to corrupt business practices. Where are we instutionalized swillers going to find ourselves next? Some of the religious con men made a watertight lifestyle for themselves for years and years and faked a very good game, but the Saudis knew all along what they were not getting for all the dough they were paying Raytheon for and finally pulled the plug on the good for nothing misfits!
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hee hee hee

CRISPY PEAMALE BACON

enjoy

Grendal
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: gone is the money Reply with quote

The last of the money.....I actually feel sorry for the teachers that are now being offered peanuts to stay on. I say peanuts because the new salary is almost 50 percent of what they used to make.

The Saudis have finally realized that the cadets at ADFI were never going to learn English anyway. So why not pay half as much for the same product (cadets who still can't answer, What did you learn in class today?...after 9 months of English instruction). Their response to any and all questions posed to them in English....Esh? Followed by...."Inglizi," "me no like, teacher."

Teachers were dedicated...We had some really top-notch teachers come through the ADFI. Yes they made a lot of money, but they worked hard and enduring a lot of sh@t for it.
ADFI students are the worst students. They won't learn because they don't want to learn and no matter how qualified the teacher is...it won't make any difference.
At least now the severely unqualified Saudi management will be able to say that they pay a lot less for their teachers. Teachers that they have always detested.
Gone is the gravy train....at least I got to enjoy being a member of the Rayville country club while it lasted.
hash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raytheon/SALTS may be history but Raytheon/Raytheon in KSA isn't......not by a long shot. Take a look:

http://www.raytheon.com/news/feature/raytheon_saudi_arabia.html

and

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/lockheed-martin-boeing-raytheon-are-the-big-winners-saudi-20786

among many others of similar ilk.

Surely somewhere in this massive buildup there will be room for at least a small ESL unit. I'll be the first to apply.

scot47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends who worked there told me horror stories. These included tales of how the Cadets at Air Defence were recruited. Teams of Saudi recruiters went around the "less urban" areas of the Kingdom and interviewed fathers who were prepared to sign over their sons for cadet training. One can only imagine what the results were.

I was lucky - I taught bright and motivated students in KSA. Maybe that is why my salary was always lower than those teaching on military contracts.
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: no more money Reply with quote

@hash

Yes Raytheon will still be there to train ADFI on missile defense...but the esl portion of the contract will be run by another subcontractor....the lowest bidder. If you are former military with a background in missile defense you can still make dough...but I am guessing that you are a TEFLer so, nope, you don't qualify.

GONE IS THE MONEY...for teaching or policing cadets for 6 to 7 periods a day.

@scot47

They recruited from the sticks....they would go to the rural villages and would shake the bushes...whatever fell out....sign them up for ADFI. It was and continues to be a social works program. Keep em off the streets and busy sleeping in the classroom so they don't cause trouble for the country. Many of students looked like they had never even sat in a chair before, let alone learned anything in a formal setting. Teaching there was pure hell at times. The money was the only thing that made it worthwhile.

If you still want to do the same poopy job for the same money you could make as a public school teacher in the US.....GO FOR IT.
Heaven knows....life in Saudi is enjoyable enough without having to be paid a bucket full of money.

ENJOY....over and out...and never going back.
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: no more money Reply with quote

BajaLaJaula wrote:

@scot47

If you still want to do the same poopy job for the same money you could make as a public school teacher in the US.....GO FOR IT.
Heaven knows....life in Saudi is enjoyable enough without having to be paid a bucket full of money.

ENJOY....over and out...and never going back.

Well at least they don't go through metal detectors here when they come to school.

enjoy
Grendal
siologen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: re: indeed grendal!! Reply with quote

Quote:
Well at least they don't go through metal detectors here when they come to school.

I for one would feel safer in the KSA than USania, while there is no chance of attending a music festival in the former country, it seems the freedom to attend a concert/festival in the latter country can be risky, as the tragic events in Las Vegas have shown. But gun control issues aside, I suppose there will be those FT's who stay in their respective positions as long as the salary is good enough for them, and those in other jobs who are disgruntled of a lower/stagnant salary and working in the kingdom in general, and thus will leave of their own accord or when their contract is not renewed. To each their own I suppose!!!!!!
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does ADFI mean?
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: ADFI Reply with quote

a quick google search revealed....

ADFI

Acronym Definition

ADFI Average Daily Feed Intake
ADFI Arizona Department of Financial Institutions
ADFI Association for the Defense of the Family and the Individual (France)
ADFI Air Defense Forces Institute (Saudi Arabia)
cnthaiksarok

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: ADFI Reply with quote

BajaLaJaula wrote:
a quick google search revealed....

ADFI

Acronym Definition

ADFI Average Daily Feed Intake
ADFI Arizona Department of Financial Institutions
ADFI Association for the Defense of the Family and the Individual (France)
ADFI Air Defense Forces Institute (Saudi Arabia)

So in this context,... it must be the first one.
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Teacher, teacher Reply with quote

Yes. The teacher does all the feeding. Students, when not trying to sleep or play grab *ss with their buddies, require that the teacher force feed them the vocabulary or simple present tense verbs.

Most do not ever master simple present and can in no way move on to simple past tense. But, then again the program is only 10 months long. Not nearly enough time to learn the complexity of English grammar verb tenses.

"Teacher, go bathroom."

"Teacher, go pray."

"Teacher, esh yagoul?"

"Teacher, why?"

"Teacher, teacher."

"Teacher, no good."

Pretty impressive, right? These are samples from the top students. The lower classes can't even be bothered to produce any English at all.

My guess is that they don't bother to use subject pronouns because it is a given that they are speaking in first person. After all, is there anyone else that should concern them?

That about sums up the learning that takes place after 10 months of English instruction at the ADFI.
Chris P. Bacon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Notes taken on the SALTS titantic Reply with quote

Some of my students could not tell the difference between X T and sometimes L.

Generally they are good hearted and one does not find malicious students so very often, but they come along enough to make our lives miserable. I hope to hang on in this gig until the end of December, but everything is slowing down though I don't really want to go to work in the morning the other guys don't want either, but we do. The non salts guys are really feeling arrogant lately which remind me of yesterday year,,,,,,,,,,

Years ago they were great rumors coming out of the Eastern province (Tins) Era rumours that the teachers being hired from extremist mosques in Washington DC, I was told they were extremely hateful especially during 9/11.
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Bacon Tastes Good Reply with quote

Well....from what I have been told...the old timer SALTS (former Raytheon) teachers have fought the good fight. They have taught their guts out, always trying to do the impossible with the ADFI cadets.
All good things must come to an end, but I think you can feel good about all the hard work you have put in there. You were well paid...but certainly worked hard for that money.
What will the new group of less qualified teachers be like? If the rumor is true, they won't have nearly the same qualifications except that they will much more sympathetic to the short-thobed, long bearded, miswak chewing culture that is highly encouraged there.
If you can't fight em, join em. Especially if you like living there.
Hemlock32

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: RAYTHEON/SALTS now on the trash dump of history Reply with quote

Chris P. Bacon wrote:
but the Saudis knew all along what they were not getting for all the dough they were paying Raytheon for and finally pulled the plug on the good for nothing misfits!

When was this official? Last march I spoke to a recruiter at the TESOL conference and she said it was going to start I think this past August or September.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: