Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking For First Teaching Job In Taiwan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmstrnad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Looking For First Teaching Job In Taiwan Reply with quote

I've been gleaning information from this site since the beginning of the year, shortly before undertaking my TEFL certification, but this is my first post.

Since this will be my first attempt to teach abroad, I was hoping to obtain some additional details/advice about teaching in Taiwan.

With little prior teaching experience, I assume I will have the best chance of finding work at a buxiban. Shane seems to be rated significantly higher than others (Hess, Joy, etc.) online. Would anyone like to weigh in on these or others? For that matter, would there be any point in trying to get into a public school (I have a non-teaching-related bachelors degree)?

Naturally, I began by looking into jobs in Taipei, but it seems that the low birth rate (among other factors) has made opportunities more difficult to locate. Are there other cities you recommend? I would prefer it to be relatively modern with an opportunity to connect with expats.

I am hoping to start applying next month - I've read that summer is the peak hiring time. I've also noticed many schools start in August. If I am unable to arrive until September, will this significantly reduce my prospects?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses. I could go on but I'm trying to focus on the most immediately pertinent issues. Any advice related to recruiters, the interview process, or really anything else I may not have considered will be most appreciated.

J
hampster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: HESS Reply with quote

I know this is late, but I just saw this thread and others may benefit.

Regarding Hess and the other large cram schools, your mileage will really vary not only by city but by the specific branch. I spent a year at Hess a few years ago, and overall I was happy. The two week pre-service training is rigorous, well-thought out and helpful. You're on your own for the hotel costs for those two weeks.

If you come to Taiwan and end up in a job you're unhappy with, it will be easier to look for other positions within the country, so it's not like you'll be trapped.

I got along well with my local counterparts because I was polite and kept my opinions to myself. Not everyone has the temperament to do this, but if you do, it will make your life easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: