Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Security cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayatollah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Security cameras Reply with quote

Do they really have security cameras in the classrooms at NITI in Al Ahsa?
Truth Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do indeed. At least 4 in each class, the hallways and even the teachers’ rooms. The ones in the classrooms have often be used to issue good teachers with discipline reports. The Sudanese principal there takes great delight in issuing them to the teachers in person.

NITI trainee behavior is also blamed entirely on the teacher. If a student is late, trying to use his phone or falling asleep in class as he stayed up all night playing computer games, then it is entirely the teacher’s fault. There is, or at least wasn’t when I was there, any support shown to the teachers at all. Plus trainees take great delight in trying to get a teacher fired if they don’t like him. Especially if he doesn’t let them use their phones in class. It’s like some sort of game to them.
ayatollah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Security cameras Reply with quote

New teachers should be warned about National Industrial Training Institute's "Big Brother" classrooms before they hit the ground, so they know what they're in for.

George Orwell's classic 1984 (BBC, 1954) is on youtube. At one time it was required reading in schools.

Last edited by ayatollah on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
sicklyman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Security cameras Reply with quote

ayatollah wrote:
it was required reading in schools.

and the irony was lost on most of us at the time that this text was imposed
siologen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: re: cameras! Reply with quote

This reminds me of that episode of Banged up abroad, where that p***ter scot nurse got locked up in the kingdom. The hospital he worked at had cameras in the corridors and wards, and all the newly hired nurses were informed of that at the induction. In the case of in the classroom, is this to give them proof that you are not a good teacher (according to a lazy local or sudanese who teaches zero classes per week mind!), or in case of teacher flipping out, or students vandalizing and getting up to other ne'er do well behaviour?
Truth Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During my 12 months there it was only ever used against teachers. It was not, as far as I’m aware, ever used to help punish a trainee. That was another issue, they actually thought badly of teachers that gave trainees discipline reports. Almost as if the blamed the teachers rather than the trainees for their unruly behavior.

Trainees at NITI openly threatened teachers with their jobs. They did this as they knew management would support them instead of their own teachers.

Last edited by Truth Seeker on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
A.Graham

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cameras are there and can be used for ensuring teachers do not: let trainees into class one minute late; have not permitted trainees to smuggle extra phones in; have failed to check for hidden phones/cribs in desk drawers during quizzes and tests.

The average 'employment expectancy' of a teacher at NITI is four months.

Some classes are fine, others are not; it is the luck of the draw. I had one great class, and one so dysfunctional I would wager at least two of its members were bona fide sociopaths. In the latter case, no amount of referring behavioural issues to lead teachers and supervisors or writing up discipline reports will help. The Principal here is worse than useless, despite insincere avowals of 'teacher support'. The cameras, by the way, are there to check on the teacher; in all cases he is at fault. If a trainee came in with an AK-47 and shot up the class, the teacher would immediately be sacked for failing to interact positively with the disaffected trainee.
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The average 'employment expectancy' of a teacher at NITI is four months.

How does NITI make money if they are firing and shipping teachers out every four months? It costs a pretty penny for visas, flights and accommodation. How do they make a profit?
siologen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: re: good point.. Reply with quote

Quote:
How does NITI make money if they are firing and shipping teachers out every four months?

That is what I am wondering too. There is obvious desperation to get teachers "deployed-gulf recruiter term!!!' ASAP, so how do they make money if teachers keep leaving and then they need new ones. The recruiters get commission as well surely, so it must cost NITI to keep paying recruiters?
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth Seeker wrote:
Plus trainees take great delight in trying to get a teacher fired if they don’t like him. Especially if he doesn’t let them use their phones in class. It’s like some sort of game to them.

I had a similar situation in Abha at one of the universities there over not putting up with late students, and being fired due to students banding together and making trouble. I saw them putting together a list with student signatures right before I was fired. The Saudis are not your good friends. The only place I ever taught at where there was good students was SWAC, the desalinization plant. However those were already capable and responsible learners.
siologen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: re: interesting.... Reply with quote

Quote:
The Saudis are not your good friends.

Interesting to hear everyones experiences on working in the kingdom.

As for Oh-Man (kind of related, it is a GCC country after all!) I sort of found the reverse to be true. A lot of the students were alright, you would always get one cardboard cut out bully boy who liked to show off and disrupt the class, and some of the girls who would go behind your back to the HOD/HOS and rat you out, but you could normally figure out which were the ones in class that had an "agenda" against you. No, no, the biggest "frenemies" any ESL teacher would have to contend with out there, would be OTHER ESL teachers, Americans vs Brits, Women against Men, Indians against all the westerners, and on and on. The ex saudi crowd of teachers seemed to be fine however, if not suffering from dipsomania and being skinflints, or somewhere in between the two. It was those who had been formerly teaching in South Korea, or elsewhere, who were newbies to the GCC region, who proved to be the problem, just my 'owld pocket of fils on!
niti team leader

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Security cameras Reply with quote

Dear All

I can confirm that security cameras are in operation and installed in each and every classroom, laboratory, workshop and office space/ cubicle.

All hallways and alleyways on campus are monitored; As well ensuring that big brother is not only watching you but very much monitoring your every movement.

This is for the security of staff, trainees, trainers as per Health and Safety protocols.

For further information on this wonderful teaching and training institute please do not hesitate to reply to this comment and or thread.
siologen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: re: sounds wonderful... Reply with quote

This place just sounds wonderful....no wonder many leave in droves!
niti team leader

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: re: sounds wonderful... Reply with quote

siologen wrote:
This place just sounds wonderful....no wonder many leave in droves!

It is a veritable lush green garden of eden - except that there is more than one serpent and every apple is rotten..............
siologen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: re: indeed... Reply with quote

Indeed, no fountains of champagne then? Twisted Evil Razz Exclamation Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: