Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online TESOL MA, Online MA (with ESL relevance) or DELTA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troioi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Online TESOL MA, Online MA (with ESL relevance) or DELTA Reply with quote

I'm trying to way up options for my next move in teaching. To give an idea of my situation.. I'm 30 years old with around 4 years teaching experience, 3 years post CELTA. I have a totally unrelated degree. At the moment I don't think I want to live in my home country again (U.K) but I want to keep my options open. I enjoy teaching but I can't foresee being able to teach Y.L or Kndy long-term, I have some University teaching experience. At this point I want to start getting some decent savings for future security and possibly investing (got some but not enough). The countries I'd see myself living in are Vietnam or possibly Indonesia or Japan (I've spent some time in all 3).

So I guess I have two main questions regarding my situation. 1. What do you think is my best move for career development? and 2. Is this even really a stable long-term career in these countries, especially going into older age?

I've been looking at online masters such as HUX "MA of Humanities" "Master in Adult Education for Social Change" "Master in Sustainable Development for Social Education". Online because I can save money on living costs living abroad and do part-time work. If I can get similar job opportunities with an MA that is related to education but not exclusively TESOL I think I would find it more engaging and also leave me a little more open to career change, if things go that way. So final question I guess -->Are the only useful M.A's for teaching abroad explicitly TESOL ones or DELTA? (I have heard otherwise but would be good to get more peoples personal experiences) Cheers!

Last edited by troioi on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:22 pm; edited 6 times in total
bograt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CELTA because I wanted to get into TEFL in Europe, I did my DELTA because I wanted to get a job with the British Council (you needed one back then to get a position in Europe) and I did my MA TESOL to give me the option of working for a decent university. My advice, in other words, is decide what kind of job you want and where and get the qualifications to get you there.
troioi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya yes that makes good sense but at the moment I'm trying to keep my options open because I'm not sure what is readily available and whether that avenue will be where I want to go anyway. For example my main choice of place to live would be Vietnam but it seems like there aren't alot of University jobs going there so maybe an MA is a waste. However an MA seems to have a broader value than a DELTA. I'm also considering a PGCEi but not sure how useful that is without the QTS in Vietnam.
bograt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

troioi wrote:
Hiya yes that makes good sense but at the moment I'm trying to keep my options open because I'm not sure what is readily available and whether that avenue will be where I want to go anyway. For example my main choice of place to live would be Vietnam but it seems like there aren't alot of University jobs going there so maybe an MA is a waste. However an MA seems to have a broader value than a DELTA. I'm also considering a PGCEi but not sure how useful that is without the QTS in Vietnam.

Can't really speak for VN but there are always discussions about whether it's worth it as a TEFL destination on the VN forum.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking for most of east / SE Asia....
For the long term... professional teacher (PGCE) in upper high school is a good option. It can also lead into school administration as an even longer term option (related MA/M.Ed required). This is a very viable long term option and will last into your 60's with decent paying options.

An on-line MA won't really get you into academia other than as a short time lecturer. Academics / academia are "traditional" and academic snobbery is alive and well. If you want to get into the tertiary sector then a decent MA / M.Ed with a full thesis and published research is the way to go. A PhD is likely required in this future.

There is no shortage of work for those with graduate level credentials and willingness to hop around the in the Asia region. (eg: I regularly speak at regional and international conferences in this region - Kota Kinebalu, Penang, Bangkok, Seoul, HCMC and Vladivostok in the last 15 months.) Great part time work and works well with my position in school administration.

Programs might include: MA/M.Ed TEFL/TESOL/EIL, MA curriculum development, MA Applied lingustics, M.Ed in any education field (become a teacher of teachers - I teach ELT management courses at one of the better known universities in Bangkok as a part time position.)
A decent MBA works wonders in Asia. There are lots of non TEFL / teaching related opportunities for someone with Asian experience.

I guess what I am trying to say is to look at YOUR aptitudes and work from there. Pick the job then find the qualification you need rather than get some qualification and hope it will lead somewhere.

nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

troioi wrote:
I've been looking at online masters such as HUX "MA of Humanities" "Master in Adult Education for Social Change" "Master in Sustainable Development for Social Education". Online because I can save money on living costs living abroad and do part-time work. If I can get similar job opportunities with an MA that is related to education but not exclusively TESOL I think I would find it more engaging and also leave me a little more open to career change, if things go that way. So final question I guess -->Are the only useful M.A's for teaching abroad explicitly TESOL ones or DELTA?

At the moment I'm trying to keep my options open because I'm not sure what is readily available and whether that avenue will be where I want to go anyway. For example my main choice of place to live would be Vietnam but it seems like there aren't alot of University jobs going there so maybe an MA is a waste. However an MA seems to have a broader value than a DELTA.

I agree with the other posters. Don't get an MA with the hope that it will lead to some type of dream career opportunity in 5+ years. Take a look at actual ads for your target jobs to determine what qualifications employers expect. Also think long term. You can certainly snag a TEFL job abroad with a generic degree. However, if you plan to move up the ladder or you end up returning to the UK, what will an MA of Humanities, Master in Adult Education for Social Change, or Master in Sustainable Development for Social Education and TEFL experience get you? In other words, is there a hot market for these degree majors?

For related posts on pursuing a degree, check out What do you look for in a BA or MA degree program.
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
troioi wrote:
I've been looking at online masters such as HUX "MA of Humanities" "Master in Adult Education for Social Change" "Master in Sustainable Development for Social Education". Online because I can save money on living costs living abroad and do part-time work. If I can get similar job opportunities with an MA that is related to education but not exclusively TESOL I think I would find it more engaging and also leave me a little more open to career change, if things go that way. So final question I guess -->Are the only useful M.A's for teaching abroad explicitly TESOL ones or DELTA?

At the moment I'm trying to keep my options open because I'm not sure what is readily available and whether that avenue will be where I want to go anyway. For example my main choice of place to live would be Vietnam but it seems like there aren't alot of University jobs going there so maybe an MA is a waste. However an MA seems to have a broader value than a DELTA.

I agree with the other posters. Don't get an MA with the hope that it will lead to some type of dream career opportunity in 5+ years. Take a look at actual ads for your target jobs to determine what qualifications employers expect. Also think long term. You can certainly snag a TEFL job abroad with a generic degree. However, if you plan to move up the ladder or you end up returning to the UK, what will an MA of Humanities, Master in Adult Education for Social Change, or Master in Sustainable Development for Social Education and TEFL experience get you? In other words, is there a hot market for these degree majors?

For related posts on pursuing a degree, check out What do you look for in a BA or MA degree program.

I agree. If your goal is actually career development, rather than looking for an excuse to study something you are interested in, then don't look through graduate degrees wondering what to do with them. Look up different career areas you might want to actually do, and see what, if anything, you actually need. For example, an MA in Humanities won't lead to university teaching in the area without a PhD. But an MA in a humanities area (like musicology, for example) PLUS an MA in Library science, would lead to becoming a Music Librarian. Are there many jobs for music librarians? I don't know, but I suspect not. Is it a career you would enjoy? I don't know- that's up to you.

Remember that in some places, having an MA is an eventual requirement of k-12 teachers. So there are a lot of education degrees that are useful for someone who is already teaching in that type of system- to do an interesting education-related masters without having to move into being a vice principal. But if you aren't (and don't have the qualification to do so) then although you may get into some of these masters degrees, they won't actually help you with your career. They were designed with someone else's career in mind.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK based Open University has an M.Ed (Applied Linguistics). It's a 180 credit Masters, and you used to be able to transfer the DELTA in for 60 credits. They took it off when they restructured the M.Ed course. I don't know if it ever got reinstated, as they don't seem to update the website very often. But it was a useful option if you weren't sure which way to jump, and helped leverage a little more value for money out of the DELTA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: