Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting work once you're in the UAE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkeymansu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Getting work once you're in the UAE Reply with quote

Hi,

I've recently accepted a teaching position for myself in the UAE which I applied for in the UK but unfortunately because of visa issues and being from the USA, my wife had to leave the UK before the interviews. As a result, she's coming with me on spousal visa with the intention finding work once we get there. Any one got any info on how to go about this as the internet seems to be a little scarce of details?

Thanks in advance.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting work once you're in the UAE Reply with quote

monkeymansu wrote:
Hi,

I've recently accepted a teaching position for myself in the UAE which I applied for in the UK but unfortunately because of visa issues and being from the USA, my wife had to leave the UK before the interviews. As a result, she's coming with me on spousal visa with the intention finding work once we get there. Any one got any info on how to go about this as the internet seems to be a little scarce of details?

Thanks in advance.

She should have more options for finding work. She can still apply for a position and get her own work visa. This is a good option, since sometimes one company might have better insurance or educational benefits than the other. She can also work as an adjunct. Many universities are going down the adjunct road now. She can also freelance with British Council, AmidEast and IDP or even advertise herself as a tutor. Tutoring is a rough road; some students have a flexible idea of time and payment options, as in optional.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stronger her qualifications, the better the job. However, she will be considered a local hire (i.e., resident expat), which usually means she won't receive benefits for housing, flights, and possibly health coverage.
monkeymansu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your input. The lack of benefits part is kind of okay as she gets flights and health insurance from my job. It's good to know that she should be able to get work once we're there though.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Doing what?

Not many good jobs in AD. Most of the wives I know either don't work or have a job well beneath their quals and experience and I'm talking about all jobs not just teaching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: