Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best places to look for teaching positions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orbit720

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Best places to look for teaching positions Reply with quote

Which sites do you personally think are the best to find good teaching positions in Hong Kong?

I like the NET Scheme but would like some sites to look for more positions.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's best to spread your net wide. Register with the most popular job websites such as Jobs DB, The Classified Post, Monster, CareerJet, CT Goodjobs etc etc. You can also join the various Facebook teaching groups, there are often vacancies posted up there. Various HK specific forums such as GeoExpat also often have a lot of teaching positions posted up regularly.
enterthedragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they offer free accommodation in HK?
enterthedragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually no they do not. here is one advert and it looks ok 25000 a month but they will take 6000 for accommodation....and dont if its like china they will want 2 m onths deposit so you are going to fork out 18000HK$ before you even start, I really dont know how these kind of jobs attract anyone really as when you read between the lines, they are taking your money first.
enterthedragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.tefl.com/job-seeker/jobpage.html?jobId=115264&countryId=97
enterthedragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also they refund the flight at the END of the contract not as soon as you turn up. Avoid!
Jmbf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that most language centres do not offer accommodation or flights. The one you linked to above is in the minority.

I've said many times that teaching in Hong Kong is not for everyone. Certainly if you want a more laid-back lifestyle there are better choices to be had (e.g. China, Vietnam etc etc).

However, if you are willing to look beyond the very short-term, HK still has tremendous opportunities if you have the right mindset. Let's take the example of the link posted above. Say you accept the job, you put your head down, work hard, network, try to improve your qualifications etc etc. After a year or two you'll be able to apply to a local school, perhaps you'll be on 30K or so. After another year or so with additional local experience and qualifications you would have a reasonable chance of applying and getting accepted into the EDB NET scheme. That would put you on around 50K or so (including the special allowance). Provided you keep up your studies and get your PGDE, your income will keep growing to around a maximum of 85K. Bear in mind that 85K doesn't include bonuses, retention incentives, flights and so on. All that is on top.

And that is just one path. There are many others which lead to decent paying positions. It's all about how you look at it. If you just look at the initial language centre job, see 25K and the initial high costs, and don't think any further ahead, then you'll never set out on the path to those high income positions.
enterthedragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all you have said though basically is once you get to HK switch to the NET scheme. All teachers know that the NET scheme is the highest paying ESL salary in the whole world. I could get the job as I have my PGCE (whats a PGDE by the way?) but it'sexpensive there. 50k there is the same as 30k in China except shanghai and beijing and guangzhou where its also expensive.

Plus Jmf most people do not have the funds to stay in HK and build up lucrative paying contracts at 500HK$ per hour. It's all speculative and freelance work which is not stable in the end, doesn't pay a pension fund and leaves you at the whim of your various emplolyers to keep the machine turning. If you can do it, allweoo and good butmost people couldn't afford to wait so long to set up such a thing IMO.

I would possibly work for the NET scheme in HK if I wanted to teach ESL though as it is a worthwhile package, the only one.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enterthedragon wrote:
all you have said though basically is once you get to HK switch to the NET scheme. All teachers know that the NET scheme is the highest paying ESL salary in the whole world.

That's not the only means to earn a decent salary by a long shot. I know several people earning over 70K / month who are not on the EDB NET scheme. To mention just a few:

Local schools who will salary-match the EDB NET scheme
A combination of local school / language centre work and private side work
Freelancers (corporate instructors, agents, language centre owners, private tutors, editors, copywriters etc etc)

enterthedragon wrote:
I could get the job as I have my PGCE (whats a PGDE by the way?) but it's expensive there. 50k there is the same as 30k in China except shanghai and beijing and guangzhou where its also expensive.

PGDE is a Post Graduate Diploma in Education.

http://www.eduhk.hk/acadprog/pgde/Primary.htm

enterthedragon wrote:
Plus Jmf most people do not have the funds to stay in HK and build up lucrative paying contracts at 500HK$ per hour.

I don't understand this at all. Even a bog-standard basic language centre position will pay enough to support you in HK while you look for better work.

enterthedragon wrote:
It's all speculative and freelance work which is not stable in the end, doesn't pay a pension fund and leaves you at the whim of your various emplolyers to keep the machine turning. If you can do it, allweoo and good but most people couldn't afford to wait so long to set up such a thing IMO.

Freelance work varies tremendously so YMMV. All I can say is that in my experience, it can be very lucrative if you have the right mindset.

enterthedragon wrote:
I would possibly work for the NET scheme in HK if I wanted to teach ESL though as it is a worthwhile package, the only one.

It is not the only one (see above).
enterthedragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bog standard language school wont pay your flight or wont reimburse it until you finish their contract (if you do), they wont pay your accomm so that 6000 off that 25000 (25000 is very top paying for a language school too). Tax is going to be what 4000? so that 25000 is 15000 after accomm and tax. £1500 in HK will be eaten up in a jiffy over a month leaving you nothing to advertise for your "better paying" contracts as you speculate once again. Plus you did not mention pension payments.

But anyway good luck in HK if you can make all that you say you do consistently. Just remember everytime you venture into central HK for dinner, it will cost around 350hk$ (£35) for a basic pasta meal. And dare you venture into the mandarin oriental for a drink in the bar, that might set you back £50 for a couple of drinks. Of course you could always eat the dark meat and veg at the wet markets or just go home and cook yourself. Whatever your lifestyle, keeping hold of that wad in HK is an interesting exposition.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enterthedragon wrote:
A bog standard language school wont pay your flight or wont reimburse it until you finish their contract (if you do), they wont pay your accomm so that 6000 off that 25000 (25000 is very top paying for a language school too). Tax is going to be what 4000? so that 25000 is 15000 after accomm and tax. £1500 in HK will be eaten up in a jiffy over a month leaving you nothing to advertise for your "better paying" contracts as you speculate once again. Plus you did not mention pension payments.

Think I'll provide an update on costs of living here. This is a 'frugal' budget but completely realistic, keep in mind that many new teachers do fine on 20K / month.

HK 6000 - flat share
HK 1000 - utilities and phone
HK 1500 - transport
HK 5000 - food
HK 2000 - entertainment
HK 1300 - tax
HK 1000 - MPF (pension payment)

That totals HK 17,800. Even on 20K / month that leaves a bit over HK 2,000 for misc / savings. It's important to remember that your salary will increase so this budget is short-term. Pretty soon you will find your income growing and your budget expanding accordingly.

enterthedragon wrote:
But anyway good luck in HK if you can make all that you say you do consistently. Just remember everytime you venture into central HK for dinner, it will cost around 350hk$ (£35) for a basic pasta meal. And dare you venture into the mandarin oriental for a drink in the bar, that might set you back £50 for a couple of drinks. Of course you could always eat the dark meat and veg at the wet markets or just go home and cook yourself. Whatever your lifestyle, keeping hold of that wad in HK is an interesting exposition.

Every place has it's advantages and disadvantages and it's important to be realistic. I think its unreasonable to expect that the place with some of the highest ESL salaries in the world should also have a very low cost of living.
enterthedragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not all the highest ESL paying salaries in the world though are they if the wage is 20k (as you yourself stated).

We have talked about this and the highest paying ESL salary in the world is the NET scheme there because you get 20k housing allowance PLUS a salary which reaches a mediocre 50k you said.

20k without accommodation (14k with)would be a very week to week living in HK. It would be similar to living off £1400 a month in London before tax. 1400 in the UK after tax would be around 1000 I guess so how far is 1000 going to get you in London? You will be saving peanuts.

I am not saying you haven't made it in HK or the few people you know who have also made it there. I would love to live in HK rather than China and I have the option to apply to intl schools there if I please, but the cost of living there puts me off.

Also I think you are being rather conservative with your 5000 for food. 10,000 is more likely.
enterthedragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.esl101.com/esl-jobs/country/hong-kong/native-english-teacher-0
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enterthedragon wrote:
They are not all the highest ESL paying salaries in the world though are they if the wage is 20k (as you yourself stated).

I think they are. Even at entry-level, 20K / month means around USD 30,000 / year. How many entry-level teaching positions can offer the same? I'm talking about positions you can get with nothing but a bachelor degree and a simple TEFL cert.

enterthedragon wrote:
We have talked about this and the highest paying ESL salary in the world is the NET scheme there because you get 20k housing allowance PLUS a salary which reaches a mediocre 50k you said.

The EDB NET scheme starts at approx 50K. That's not including flights and bonuses. It goes up to 85K with experience.

enterthedragon wrote:
20k without accommodation (14k with)would be a very week to week living in HK. It would be similar to living off £1400 a month in London before tax. 1400 in the UK after tax would be around 1000 I guess so how far is 1000 going to get you in London? You will be saving peanuts.

Why the continuing comparisons with London? The two cities are nothing alike. You write as someone who has visited HK a few times but never lived here. Remember, the average monthly salary here is approx HK 15,000. Once you take accommodation out of the equation, it can be quite cheap to live here if you can live like a local. I can buy vegetables and fruit for a week from the market for less than HK 150. If I add meat and fish into the equation that's perhaps another HK 200 a week. Many local restaurants have lunch and dinner meals for HK 50 - 60. Local bars have deals where you can buy a bucket of 6 beers for HK 150 - 200. And so on.

enterthedragon wrote:
Also I think you are being rather conservative with your 5000 for food. 10,000 is more likely.

HK 10,000 for food for one person? I feed my entire family for far less than that per month! And I like my wine and cheese!
enterthedragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.citysuper.com.hk/en/E-Shop/Product-Listing#!/Category/alcoholic-drinks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: