Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Site For Free Books, Lesson Plans, Etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bj80

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Best Site For Free Books, Lesson Plans, Etc. Reply with quote

All the Chinese people here use:

gen.lib.rus.ec
b-ok.org
freebookspot.es

The first one is the real goldmine, as 80-90% of written material I have ever needed (textbooks, comic books, etc. is on there).

What do you guys use to get good books, lesson plans, torrents, videos, etc.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you ever stop trying to over-generalize EFL? The best site and best materials depends on who you are teaching and what their motivation and needs are.

What works for Chinese beginner to mid intermediate with general English needs would be completely useless for Russian upper intermediate to proficient who work for international companies, for example.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased to report that attempts to access the first site lead to this -

"Access to the websites listed on this page has been blocked pursuant to orders of the high court.

More information can be found at www.ukispcourtorders.co.uk"
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

"Access to the websites listed on this page has been blocked pursuant to orders of the high court.

Very credible indeed Wink
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

The best site and best materials depends on who you are teaching and what their motivation and needs are.

What works for Chinese beginner to mid intermediate with general English needs would be completely useless for Russian upper intermediate to proficient who work for international companies, for example.

Absolutely true, and I, too, would be very interested to hear what sites people have found particularly useful. As suggested by Spiral's post, this would be much more helpful if paired with some mention of the students, settings, levels, purposes, etc., for which you found them useful.

I always love hearing about what resources other teachers have found helpful. Very Happy
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

Interesting. I wonder why? It takes me to the Library Genesis search page. I typed the address exactly as written by the OP into my address bar. Could it be location specific, blocked in the UK? I'm in the US.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Different sites for different objectives.

1.) http://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/

2.) https://en.islcollective.com/

3.) If you want to pay a small subscription try http://www.onestopenglish.com/

4.) https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/teaching-adults/resources/english-business

If you are going down the private English lessons route, buy the books and keep them in mint condition along with the DVDs. It will cost in the beginning but save you stress and time in the long-run. Many of these books can be downloaded for free (ahem) or bought cheaply second-hand in good condition on local sites (not Amazon).
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Best Site For Free Books, Lesson Plans, Etc. Reply with quote

bj80 wrote:
What do you guys use to get good books, lesson plans, torrents, videos, etc.

Books: I like Amazon or the local book store.
    I also like CUP, AUP, NatGEO, Pearson and
    for free stuff - Project Gutenberg ( https://www.gutenberg.org/ ) - they have thousands of copyright free books to download and use.
    lesson plans: I am a teacher so I actually write my lesson plan based on what I will teach - you know...
    clear objectives with observable expected outcomes and learning indicators, activities for teaching and learning, assessment for and of learning... that teacher stuff.
    torrents: why?
    videos: YouTube (I am not stuck behind the great firewall).
    I also create my own videos for use in class and to share with other teachers then post them on my YouTube channel.
    IF you have a smart phone (who doesn't these days) then there is no reason not to create your own material. It isn't rocket science.
    There are also some decent (free) apps that you can use (kinemaster, flipaclip, etc).
    etc: Mostly create my own materials that are specific for my students based on their needs assessments and my semester / monthly or dailyt lesson plans.

scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "High Court" ( without capitalisation) referred to is in the legal jurisdiction of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: