Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chances of a decent position
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enterthedragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sicklyman wrote:
enterthedragon wrote:
I am surprised he gets 30k a month SAR

everyone gets 30K plus... it's standard, plus up to 10% pay rise each year.. at least until you hit the top of your pay grade.

But this is the total package apart from one interim flight (used to be two), so you're paying for your accommodation out of this.
How does one get a 30k SAR a month job then? Who recruits this amount of money? The European Centre does not pay this. So it is not standard. Which contractor pays this? It's twice what I am on after tax although I don't pay any accommodation so not quite twice but still 1.5 times what I am on.
Makkah

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sicklyman wrote:
Makkah wrote:
sicklyman wrote:
Makkah wrote:
(...each month I get paid).

are there some months you don't get paid?

Wow Littleman, surprised you are not in the loop about it.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

nope... but then I get paid every month so not something that bothers me. Sorry to hear your contractor isn't apologising as they should...

Now now, Littleman don't get too upset. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enterthedragon wrote:
I already have a job at an intl school. It isn't just embassy staff whose international schools pay higher wages and I have not set my goals way too high at all. I wouldn't get this particular job at this particular school though as they want Americans or Canadians.
How does one get a 30k SAR a month job then? Who recruits this amount of money? The European Centre does not pay this. So it is not standard. Which contractor pays this? It's twice what I am on after tax although I don't pay any accommodation so not quite twice but still 1.5 times what I am on.

It's not your nationality; you'd need way more than a diploma in piano performance to teach for SAES and for TEFL positions in KSA. Plus, you'd still run into those same issues with the SACB.
enterthedragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was not my question though. The question was who recruits 30k as a contractor? There are many TEFL positions on work visit visas Very Happy The SACB is not really too difficult a problem to get around Very Happy and anyway I am not going to go to Saudi Arabia unless I absolutely had to.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enterthedragon wrote:
The question was who recruits 30k as a contractor? There are many TEFL positions on work visit visas Very Happy The SACB is not really too difficult a problem to get around Very Happy

The top payers have always been the military/defense and oil contracts. That's nothing new.

As for getting a job via a work visit/business visa, the sketchiest of the sketchies would likely be the only Saudi companies willing to overlook your lack of a BA.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enterthedragon wrote:
The question was who recruits 30k as a contractor?

Saudi Aramco via JAL, SRACO, Haka and Al Hoty. Last recruitment round was last summer.
enterthedragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but I am sticking with SAES now because I have a UK PGCE/QTS and 2 years international experience/17 years experience altogether as a teacher, and so I can teach my subject as well as ESL. The money is on a par with ARAMCO'S ESL jobs too.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enterthedragon wrote:
I am sticking with SAES now because I have a UK PGCE/QTS and 2 years international experience/17 years experience altogether as a teacher, and so I can teach my subject as well as ESL.

Given your UK teaching credential, Diploma in Piano Performance (i.e., no BA), and lack of experience teaching American curriculum... Good luck with that: Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Minimum teaching requirements for SAES include:
    A Bachelors or Masters degree from a recognized college or university
    A valid North American certification
    Six years minimum teaching experience
Saudi Aramco Schools seeks professionals who are:
    Enthusiastic and provide creative approaches to teaching
    Life-long Learners
    Practitioners of Differentiated Instruction
    Curriculum Designers versed in the Understanding By Design model and the Rubicon ATLAS Curriculum System
    Promoters of ESL in the Mainstream
    Committed to sponsoring extracurricular and after school activities
    Respectful of the laws and customs of Saudi Arabia
Source: http://www.saudiaramco.com/en/home/careers/Non-Saudi-applicants/saudi-aramco-expat-schools/teach-at-our-schools.html
enterthedragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a graduate diploma not a diploma. This is a bachelors degree as confirmed by my university to the SACB. They cannot argue with this fact. Also you need to be a certified north american teacher. However teachers have said that international schools DO accept teachers from other countries even though the curriculum might be that of another country's. Whether or not SAES only employ American teachers or not IDK. So I can't see what youre trying to say really. You don't know about UK qualifications it seems though. I am qualified for the job and they would accept a GD as a bachelors degree I am sure. If not, I could always just say I have a BA in music instead anyway seeing as there isnt much of a difference.
hash

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enterthedragon wrote:
I have a graduate diploma not a diploma. This is a bachelors degree as confirmed by my university to the SACB. They cannot argue with this fact.

This is very confusing. The term "graduate diploma" certainly implies that you've already "graduated" from "somewhere" with "something". Or are you saying that your FIRST DEGREE ever was this graduate diploma? Because that's what your suggesting (which doesn't make any sense).

What was your FIRST DEGREE....and what was your major study?

Ditto with your PGCE/QTS. They assume you have already got a "first" degree (i.e. a BA) in some subject.

Or did you somehow manage to evade obtaining a "first degree" (undergraduate degree in the USA) and just sallied forth getting your "graduate diploma" and your "PGCE/QTS" without a first degree? Maybe you can do that in the UK.....I don't know...that's why I'm asking.

(In the USA, for example, there's no way you can get an MA (or even get accepted into an MA program), without an undergraduate degree (BA/BS).
============================================
"I am qualified for the job" Unfortunately, it's not really up to you to decide if you're qualified or not. It's up to the employer. For example, there may be a list of "private" qualifications that aren't made public. One of these "secret qualifications" might be that you have to be married, or without dependent children, or unmarried, or under a certain age, and so on. On any of these terms, you could be disqualified for the job even though you may be ACADEMICALLY qualified. There's always more to getting hired than simply presenting the proper academic qualifications and experience. Looks and appearance, for example, can often be the determining factors...I've seen it happen with my own eyes.

"They cannot argue with this fact" : Oh, but they can. If "they" can declare that weekends will henceforth be on Friday and Saturday and the first day of the workweek will be Sunday, they can certainly totally disregard what your university says. They'll do it in a second if it's to their advantage.

You are aware, aren't you, that the weekend in KSA and actually throughout the Gulf. is held on Friday and Saturday and that the workweek (the first day of the week), is Sunday? This has been true for several years now.

And also, along this same vein, I should mention, that the current year in Saudi Arabia is 1438 and not 2017. You did know that, didn't you? In other words, as far as the Arab world is concerned, in a sense, America hasn't been discovered yet and won't be for another 54 years or so. These are some of the "realities" you would have to live with should you ever visit KSA.

sicklyman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@enterthedragon... they ask for "valid North American certification". Do you have that or, if not, why do they think they would consider you?
enterthedragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sicklyman No I am not American. I have a PGCE/QTS from the UK so I am qualified to teach in UK schools. Like I said, it says they want North Americans but do they hire other qualified teachers from other countries? Or is everyone at SAES an American certified teacher? International schools normally take teachers from the UK/USA/AUS/SA/NZ and not just one particular nationality.

@hash...I thought I had explained. My first degree is my graduate diploma. It was a 4 year full time course and it confers bachelors degree status. I could have done a BA if I had wanted, but I chose the GD course instead as it was more what I wanted. Because it is a degree, I could do the PGCE course to become a qualified teacher in my subject (music). If I wanted to do an MA/MEd, I think I probably could but I have not checked this out. NS has a bee in his bonnet about degrees and thinks he knows what the SACB would say about this and he thinks they wouldn't allow a work visa (he hasn't worked for them though). I guess he also thinks the employer wouldn't accept it too. However, as I am a qualified teacher, there shouldn't be any problem if you got an employer offer for a visa. But IDK! That's why it would be easier to just say I have a BA instead of a GD.

Also, for teaching TEFL in Saudi, I seem to remember you HAVE TO have a degree which matches the job you are going to do. I am confused about this because there are lots of teachers with unmatching BA degrees or non English related degrees I think who manage to get a work visa to teach EFL in Saudi Arabia. Does everyone in Saudi Arabia have an English or English related BA degree then if they teach EFL/ESL? Very Happy

Last edited by enterthedragon on Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
hash

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: t Reply with quote

[quote="enterthedragon"]@sicklyman No I am not Amehairerican. I have a PGCE/QTS from the UK so I am qualified to teach in UK schools. Like I said, it says they want North Americans but do they hire other qualified teachers from other countries? Or is everyone at SAES an American certified teacher? International schools normally take teachers from the UK/USA/AUS/SA/NZ and not just one particular nationality.

Now you're getting confused. SAES does NOT say it hires only USA citizen teachers who are certified. It says it will hire ANY teacher from any country so long as the teacher has USA certification. This means the prospective teacher, regardless of his citizenship or nationality, must have a teaching credential in a subject from one of the 50 states in the US. You don't so you are not hireable by SAES even though you are a certified teacher in the UK. That is to say, your UK certification is invalid in the US (and thereby SAES). To teach in the US (from K-12) you would have to enroll in a US course of study leading to certification in a subject in one of the US states.

SAES has this "stringent" requirement, by the way, in order to satisfy and to keep its ACCREDITATION by US accreditation agencies. If it loses its accreditation, its HS diploma becomes nearly worthless (if you want to continue (seamlessly) at the college level in the US).

Other "international" schools may have sterling reputations, but unless they are accredited by a US educational agency, their HS diplomas will have to go through very tough procedures to be accepted by a US college or university for entrance.

Bottom line.....you can't teach in the US (at K-12 level) nor at SAES, not because you're not an American citizen, but because you lack US teaching qualifications. In the same way, I can't teach in the UK even though I'm a qualified K-12 teacher in the US.....my US qualification is not recognized by the UK. Simple as that.

veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This appears to be the return of our piano playing troll... with his constant argument that his bizarre collection of supposed credentials should happily be shoehorned in by any sensible employer.

I wonder if he has ever actually applied for a job in Saudi.

The only reality is that, of course, his chances of being hired by SAES are exactly -0-

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enterthedragon wrote:
NS has a bee in his bonnet about degrees and thinks he knows what the SACB would say about this and he thinks they wouldn't allow a work visa (he hasn't worked for them though). I guess he also thinks the employer wouldn't accept it too. However, as I am a qualified teacher, there shouldn't be any problem if you got an employer offer for a visa. But IDK! That's why it would be easier to just say I have a BA instead of a GD.

Same worn-out argument (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=1244737).

BTW, I'm female.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: