Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"What Makes a Great ESL Teacher" Article Reference
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
santi84

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "What Makes a Great ESL Teacher" Article Refer Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:

@ ourownalone-papuadn-adventious-buravirgil-(and probably)maueuewome:
One thing that is clear is that a brand new username does not necessarily come with a brand new attitude. Darn!

This "new" poster never seems to change his writing style either!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalkstein wrote:
suphanburi wrote:
Why can't you get your work done at work? It is EFL after all. Most teachers spend as little as 5 minutes at the copy machine as their entire prep. In a 40-hour work week you should have time to get your classes planned and prepped (20 hours work time to take care of 20 classes).

You can definitely make a decent lesson in an hour of prep but the best teachers I know spend about 4 hours of prep to 1 hour of classroom time and their lessons are noticeably superior to those who don't prepare so much.

Marking assignments, especially writing, can take up a teacher's prep time. However, the students should be doing much of the work in the form of activities or exercises during class time.

Teachers who spend four hours to prep for a one-hour class are either:
    1) unorganized with poor time management skills;
    2) lacking the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to put together an effective lesson (i.e., don't know what the heck they're doing);
    3) not utilizing available resources or reusable, editable materials;
    4) teaching in a resource-poor work environment;
    5) over preparing -- doing more work than what's needed (especially if they tend to lecture for much of the class); or
    6) working at an anal school/university that requires teachers to produce "busy work" (e.g., paperwork, paperwork, paperwork...).

Or maybe a combination of the above.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Teachers who spend four hours to prep for a one-hour class are either:
1) unorganized with poor time management skills;
2) lacking the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to put together an effective lesson (i.e., don't know what the heck they're doing);
3) not utilizing available resources or reusable, editable materials;
4) teaching in a resource-poor work environment;
5) over preparing -- doing more work than what's needed (especially if they tend to lecture for much of the class); or
6) working at an anal school/university that requires teachers to produce "busy work" (e.g., paperwork, paperwork, paperwork...).

Or maybe a combination of the above.

A good summary, to which I would add to #2: lacking experience--the freshly-minted teacher in the first few weeks of a new job. And perhaps occasionally thereafter when researching points being taught for the first time. New teachers should keep in mind that these topics become fewer and fewer as they gain experience, and that with classroom experience even this "first time" prep will quickly become more efficient.

getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of the things that I've learned over the years as to what makes me a better teacher (in no particular order):

1. Utilising resources which are already widely availble on the internet.
2. Being prepared and having an indepth knowledge of the subject/concept that you are teaching.
3. Ability to be relaxed & flexible in the classroom and alter your lesson plan if required (sounds easy but I've observed several teachers who can't seem to get to grips with this). An example would be to let a useful class discussion flow a little bit longer than your plan allows.
4. Building rapport with your students, regardless of age group.
5. Use of humour (but not the dancing monkey stuff haha).
6. Staying patient and in control (which it seems can be particularly hard for many teachers here in China anyway). I've never shown my class that I'm upset/angry with them in a negative way.
7. Don't be afraid to use some of your strong students to assist you, particularly when dealing with large class sizes.
8. Talk to your students on ocassion, especially when dealing with kids. I've encountered teachers who go to their office and put the headphones on all of the time between classes etc. Even worse I've come accross Primary school teachers who just don't like kids and this in turn makes them poor teachers imo。
RedLightning stated earlier ' -Lack of concern as to whether or not your students 'like' you' Where I agree in part, you still should make an effort imo to build rapport and student-teacher relationship.
AGain these are just my personal options from teaching(Gr1-5), so feel free to critique Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: