Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lesson Plans: Any Ways to Cut Down on the B.S. Nitty-Gritty?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lionheartuk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to do lesson plans for six grades but I usually recycle and just modify them a bit depending on the ability of the students. I can use my own materials and books too.
We have a different teacher checking the plans each year so they don't know what I did last year.
Most times I write/copy the lesson plans after I have done the lesson and before the end of the month when they are checked. We get a bonus of 400 a month for plans and a bonus of 1500 at the end of the term.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: haha Reply with quote

Writing them retrospectively just shows you what a waste of time they really are in the first place!

Actually, there are loads of places now, especially here in the Middle East, where the paper shuffling and adherence to procedures is actually focussed upon more than the quality of the syllabi, teaching, admin or output.

The world's gone mad I'm tellin' ya.
Guerciotti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
Lesson plans are the bane of all new to teaching teachers.
The process becomes easier and faster as you get going and gain experience.
The lesson plans you created for your CELTA course have no place in the real world. They are a training exercise.

In the real world, where you are teaching 20-30 classes of 15-50 kids per class per week it is not sustainable.

In the real world your lesson plan is for YOU, not your instructor.
KISS... 1-2 pages in length. Notes to keep yourself on task and target.
A clear, observable objective followed by a short sequence of tasks and activities.

If your objective is observable (students will be able to show, demonstrate, write, do something) rather than un-observable (students will learn x,y,z) then your assessment is ongoing throughout the class.

Objective
    Warmup
    Modeling (teaching phase) - keep it short. They learn by doing, not by listening to you.
    practice
    activity
    activity
    closure

1 or 2 pages. You do NOT need some lengthy tome or scripted form that is 6-10 pages long.
Lesson planning should take less than 1 hour per class hour. Prep on the other hand may be as short as 10 minutes and as long as many hours depending on the complexity of the tasks and requirement to create materials (rather than re-use materials from previous classes).

Suphanburi, I copied this and named it "How 2 Write a Lesson Plan". I do hope you might forgive me. Cool

More on topic: More than 15 minutes of lesson planning is most often a complete waste of time.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your institution expects you to file lesson plans, they are not worth working for.

This BS is for teachers in training not for professionals who know what they are doing.
litterascriptor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't write lesson plans so much as I write down all the pertinent information for the class. Such as page numbers, key words, key phrases, and that sort of thing. I keep the plan on me or near me for quick reference. I prefer not to have to look through a book to find what we are going to work on during class time.

I don't necessarily recycle plans as much as I recycle activities. If I've done the activity before and I'm comfortable with it, I just write something down that reminds me that it might be a good idea to do such and such activity at a certain time.

If its a new activity, I may write out a pre-task, task, post-task sort of format to make sure I introduce it and process it properly.

Above all, this overly detailed lesson planning thing and strict adherence to the lesson plan in class makes me wonder if we ought to add a third category to the student-centered and teacher-centered spectrum.

Lesson plan-centered?

I don't like absolute goals and objectives, I prefer flexible goals and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: