Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instead of the CNCC...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yurii

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the rejection related or unrelated to the CNCC?
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not told why I was rejected but I was told to get it. Instead I went to Mong Kok to take the oath instead. Overall it was very time consuming for nothing.
I assume some teachers lied in the past. Getting a statement of service from former employers was very time consuming.
I assume British teachers are favored.
yurii

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
I was not told why I was rejected but I was told to get it. Instead I went to Mong Kok to take the oath instead. Overall it was very time consuming for nothing.
I assume some teachers lied in the past.

Okay, thanks. No, it's simply because the HK government for the NET scheme are just very very pedantic about documents.

mitsui wrote:
I assume British teachers are favored.

I sincerely doubt that is true. What justification do you have for such a generalisation?
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those with a PGCE are favored. Americans don't have this degree.
People with this degree may not be British, but certainly could be.
yurii

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
Those with a PGCE are favored. Americans don't have this degree.
People with this degree may not be British, but certainly could be.

I'm 99% sure people with an official teaching license are favoured whether it's a PGCE, PGDE (the name of the local teaching license in HK) or whatever they're called in other countries (sorry I'm not sure what the exact titles are in US, CAN, AUS, NZ). I'm sure on the NET programme it says something along the lines of ''PGDE or equivalent''. It would be unfair if people with PGCEs were favoured. Additionally, I don't even know how similar a PGCE and PGDE are apart from the similar sounding acronyms.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think HK uses the PGCE, as it is a former colony (most do besides the US and Canada). I know you can do QTS for the PGCE there. I am not familiar with getting on the NET program, so cannot comment much on that side of the situation. I could see that two candidates being equal they might favor the PGCE qualified teacher, as I doubt many schools are running a US curriculum model.
yurii

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
I think HK uses the PGCE, as it is a former colony (most do besides the US and Canada). I know you can do QTS for the PGCE there. I am not familiar with getting on the NET program, so cannot comment much on that side of the situation.

It's called a PGDE in Hong Kong, not PGCE by the way. In UK it's called a PGCE, but curiously in Scotland is called a PGDE. Yes maybe the name comes from the former colony.

Quote:
I could see that two candidates being equal they might favor the PGCE qualified teacher, as I doubt many schools are running a US curriculum model.

Could be, but do the local schools even use a British curriculum in HK? Anyone?
mitsui

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are Americans in the NET program but I bet that they do have prior experience working in China or Hong Kong. I think that is needed.
I don't have that. Obviously, prior study of Chinese looks good.
Many teachers have prior experience in Korea.

Anyway, from what I heard there are a few kinds of schools. I forgot what it was called. But tier 1 were the schools where the students want to go to a good university and so teachers have to help prepare them for the entrance exam, which has the four skills. And that means that Saturdays are a working day, but not every Saturday.

I think having something extra on the resume helps. A teacher I know can teach English and another language (French). Problem is that the students don't care at the lower ranked school, but it does mean Saturday is a day off.

In the interview it was mentioned about living conditions and that some teachers could get claustrophobia living in a high rise. It depends on the person.

If you get in, lucky you. But you must retire at 60.
yurii

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
There are Americans in the NET program but I bet that they do have prior experience working in China or Hong Kong. I think that is needed.
I don't have that. Obviously, prior study of Chinese looks good.
Many teachers have prior experience in Korea.

I agree it's better to have some Chinese experience, but Asian experience would still be useful no? I would have thought your Japanese experience would have counted (well I imagine it's more valued than someone with solely US or European experience).

Actually, a Canadian friend had zero prior Asian experience and got into the NET programme and a job first time around, but is a licensed teacher in Canada with an MA in Education.

Quote:
Anyway, from what I heard there are a few kinds of schools. I forgot what it was called.

I think the term you're looking for is "band". There are 3 bands: band 1 = best, band 3 = worst. One HK local teacher even told me if you get into a band 3 school the principal would be happy if you could simply control the class - nothing more! I guess that really depends how bad they are and maybe that's just an exaggeration and that she was half-joking.

Quote:

In the interview it was mentioned about living conditions and that some teachers could get claustrophobia living in a high rise. It depends on the person.

How did you reply to that?
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in a pprivate school in Tokyo for about 8 years. Ran the drama club, had lots of students who went to cram school. Studied Japanese for years which means I had to learn Chinese characters.
Certified in the US in two states, but I have not taught in the US.

Not good enough. I guess it comes down to which schools have an open position. Some years it ould be between 30-50 jobs.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yurii wrote:
Could be, but do the local schools even use a British curriculum in HK? Anyone?

Local schools in Hong Kong generally fall into these categories:

Government (Comprehensive)
Aided (Mix of Comprehensive and Partially Aided)
Direct Subsidy Schools (DSS)
Private Schools

Government and Aided schools must follow the set curriculum decided by the EDB. DSS schools are free to set their curriculum as they see fit as long as they follow certain guidelines. Then of course you have Private schools which are free to follow whatever curriculum they like.
yurii

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jmbf. And is there an influence from the UK in any of this? Such as GCSEs (apart from British international schools)?

mitsui wrote:
I worked in a pprivate school in Tokyo for about 8 years. Ran the drama club, had lots of students who went to cram school. Studied Japanese for years which means I had to learn Chinese characters.
Certified in the US in two states, but I have not taught in the US.

Not good enough. I guess it comes down to which schools have an open position. Some years it ould be between 30-50 jobs.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe it was several things. What kind of things did they ask you (regarding pedagogy)? Do you think you answered them well?

Which subject are you licensed in?
Kowloon

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nothing to do with experience, qualifications, job availability or anything else. You are more than suitably qualified, have plenty of requisite experience, and the hiring system is not related to how many jobs might be available. It sounds like, for whatever reason on the day, the interview didn't go as well as you would have hoped and you weren't selected off the back of it.

There are literally thousands of candidates in the NET scheme pool. The interview with the EdB gets you in the pool and nothing more. After entering the pool, teachers apply themselves directly to jobs. At that stage, other factors will start to come into it as the schools have a great deal of autonomy.
mitsui

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically there is no margin for error. They can afford to be picky.
I am certified in English.

I tend to be direct so I assume that is not welcome. I assume HK people are indirect.
I was gently chided to learn Chinese culture as I mixed up the culture of the north with the south. I guess it is northerners, like people from Dalian who are direct.
I admit my ignorance but was told in my rejection e-mail to apply to schools outside the NET program.
The interview was not easy and they fire off question after question.
Another teacher got initially rejected then worked at a Chinese university for two years. He applied again and got a job.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
Basically there is no margin for error. They can afford to be picky.
I am certified in English.

I tend to be direct so I assume that is not welcome. I assume HK people are indirect.
I was gently chided to learn Chinese culture as I mixed up the culture of the north with the south. I guess it is northerners, like people from Dalian who are direct.
I admit my ignorance but was told in my rejection e-mail to apply to schools outside the NET program.
The interview was not easy and they fire off question after question.
Another teacher got initially rejected then worked at a Chinese university for two years. He applied again and got a job.

That all sounds plausible. I have a friend who was in a similar situation, interview went badly (he had everything you have AND he was currently working as a non-EdB NET in a HK school!), wasn't selected, tried again a year later, got in, and has now been an EdB NET for years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: