Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In transit... almost

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YankeeJ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: In transit... almost Reply with quote

Merhaba. I am an American moving to Istanbul in just 4 short weeks and wondered if there is any advice anyone would care to offer, other than (at least for now) not openly declaring my nationality. Yikes!
Much to the dismay of my family and friends (who tend to live inside the box and actually enjoy it Shocked ), I am taking on this adventure in order to attain some personal enrichment, stimulation, and a change of all basics. I have visited Turkey, but never lived and find myself quite nervous about the approaching endeavors. From what I've read on this forum, all seem to be content with the position in present life they've chosen, which makes me feel slightly more at ease.
I will be getting my TEFL rather than CELTA simply because the school (Via Lingua/Kent English) offers assistance on accomodations and employment assistance. From what I've seen, the differences between the 2 degrees are not large. Wondering about what kind of establishment to seek work in. ie. language school, private secondary, university, etc.
Comments? Suggestions?
I've heard also from Turkish pals that it's fairly easy to find students to give private lessons to. Is this true? If so, how does one acquire this following of seekers?
Indications, answers, or job offers Razz will gain the upmost appreciation.
knlarsen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Same TEFL course Reply with quote

Hello! I just read your post and realized we will be taking the same TEFL course in Istanbul. I just joined Dave's ESL a few weeks ago and am sort of in the same boat as you with the teaching and why I want to go to Turkey. Where do you live in the U.S? Will you be living in the shared apartment when you get there? I went to school in Seattle and am in Oregon right now. It would be great if we could chat before we show up in Istanbul so atleast we will know one person in the entire country! We can compare packing lists. Talk to you soon. Laughing
izzyismydog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: How was Via Lingua? Reply with quote

Hi, if either of you (or anybody else who has attended) is still around the forum, could you let me know how Via Lingua was? I am considering their program for similar reasons... accomodations, connections etc. Did it work out in your favour or would it have been better to get a CELTA or go with another institution? I'd like to teach in Turkey, probably within Istanbul.

thanks!
sweetpea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I worked at a private koleji (with a lunatic for a director), a University (with incredibly mean owners and managers) and 2 language schools. I am currently at a language school in Bursa and happier than I could have hoped. The money is the same as I was getting at the Uni and the conditions are far superior.

If you are interested in coming to Bursa sometime in the end of January, please p.m. me and we can talk about possibilites here.
mrauc941

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not be afraid of letting your nationality be known. Im American and never hesitate to say so. Ive never experienced adverse reactions...aside from a very rude French girl. In fact people are generally curious and interested when I tell them Im American. They are quite able to separate the people (who they seem to treat like any other foreigner) and the government (which they generally strongly dislike).

As for your other questions...Id search back in the history of the posts here. Youll find lots of useful info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: