Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teach without a bachelor's in Vietnam?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEFLChris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Teach without a bachelor's in Vietnam? Reply with quote

Hello fine folks,

I am native english and french speaker,Canadian passport.

I have TEFL certification but no Bachelor's.

I plan on taking CELTA once I get to Vietnam.

I was wondering about my prospects to LEGALLY work in Vietnam without a bachelor's.

I have a few years tutoring under my belt.

I am reading up on the subject but most links are very old and I could use a current view of the situation.

Thanks a lot,

Chris
Piscador

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to be possible although not particularly easy. Over the years the regulations have gradually tightened up.

I know one teacher who qualifies because he managed to get a WP thanks to his school's contacts in the government. After working for the same school for nearly six years he found out that because he had over five years documented as a working English teacher in Vietnam he was exempt from the degree requirement and was able to move on to a better job.

Years ago the rule was that if you could document at least five years of teaching in other countries you were exempt. I never heard of anyone ever presenting acceptable documentation, however. I don't know if this is still applicable.

tldr; You have very little hope of qualifying for a work permit. On the positive side, you have plenty of company in this regard.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Teach without a bachelor's in Vietnam? Reply with quote

TEFLChris wrote:
Hello fine folks,

I am native english and french speaker,Canadian passport.

I have TEFL certification but no Bachelor's.

I plan on taking CELTA once I get to Vietnam.

I was wondering about my prospects to LEGALLY work in Vietnam without a bachelor's.

I have a few years tutoring under my belt.

I am reading up on the subject but most links are very old and I could use a current view of the situation.

Thanks a lot,

Chris

Legally, the only 2 countries in the ASEAN block (or East Asia for that matter) that you can work as a teacher and without a degree are Cambodia and Myanmar. You simply need to buy a business visa.

In ALL the rest of East Asia you need a minimum of a Bachelor degree to get legal.

sigmoid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Việt Nam, the work permit is required for foreigners who are working on one-year contracts.

Most schools, etc. that employ foreigners to teach English do so on a causual basis and pay an hourly rate. Thus, very few foreign teachers have a work permit.
TEFLChris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
In Việt Nam, the work permit is required for foreigners who are working on one-year contracts.

Most schools, etc. that employ foreigners to teach English do so on a causual basis and pay an hourly rate. Thus, very few foreign teachers have a work permit.

Thank you for the info fine folks.Have a great day.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:

And all of them are illegal, working on a tourist visa and doing regular border hops and visa runs to get a new visa or entry stamp every 90 days.

Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEFLChris wrote:
sigmoid wrote:

Thank you for the info fine folks.Have a great day.

So you cherry picked the 1 answer that suits your plan? LOL Laughing

Most of the decent schools won't even talk to you without a degree. And it used to be no degree, no WP, no problem. Not anymore.

Of course if you like making half the wages that others are making and having to always be worried about being scammed, by all means go for it.

Without a degree and lacking experience expect an hourly range of $8-12 an hour or some monthly salary of around $1,000 or so a month.

As others have said, the market is now saturated in VN with newbies. Most of whom have both degrees and TEFL cert's.

Public schools, universities, etc all want to see a degree.
All of the larger chain schools require a degree and a WP.

Sure you will find something. Short term you might not care. but long term your prospects are dim. How will you ever move up in the industry? Every door is closed long-term without a degree.

Asia respects paper. They expect the newbies coming in to do the TEFL gig to at least be qualified on paper.

IMHO you're about 10 years late.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Prof. Gringo. It depends on what your expectations are. I did scores of menial jobs, for lousy pay, when I was traveling around Europe. However, I accepted it because I was there for the experience and not there to bank money or set myself up for a career. I have no regrets about that and, if your expectations are similar, then it might work out for you. If you want more, and possibly live up to any potential you may have within the TEFL industry, get a degree.
nomadic_meow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not advising doing these things, per se. But I'm with Welsh on the understanding that everyone may come with their own background, needs and purposes.

If you are not intent upon hanging out in the more conventionally comfortable modern cities with a sizeable foreigner population, lively nightlife, many English speakers, multiple places the typical Westerner might wish to actually eat etc... Then there are probably some very provincial outfits that are dying to hire anyone who will adopt a more quiet and spartan life and perhaps even actually stay there for some months. How many would knowingly accept someone without a degree, I'm not so sure. But I imagine some will not look too closely at least.

MOD EDIT: No Go Area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: