Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs in Ecuador

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amanda.ron

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Jobs in Ecuador Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, and I'm hopeful that I can find some help. I'm currently in a MATESL program and will finish my program in the Spring of 2019. I intend to move to Ecuador permanently after my program in the Summer of 2019. I'm experiencing a few problems though. I'm very worried about finances. I'll have a lot of student debt and my loan payment will be between $300-$500 a month and I've read teaching jobs generally pay around $750 a month. Can anyone tell me how rare it is to find a job paying over $1000. I don't mind living skimpy for a year or two till I can find that higher paying job, but I'm also hoping it might be possible to find a decent paying job right away. I'll have 1 year experience teaching adults ESL by the time I graduate.

Another question I have is HOW to find those jobs. There are 0 jobs on Dave's ESL in Ecuador and I'm unsure where to go to find positions to apply to.

Any help is much appreciated, and if you have ANY advice about teaching in Ecuador I would love to hear from you.

Thank you all!!!!
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better paying jobs are in Quito. If you want to live elsewhere in the country, you will take a significant wage hit. It is possible to earn $1,000 straight off, but you may have to take a lower wage initially while you build a reputation.

You get a job here by knocking on doors in person. It's very rare to get hired from overseas, or for jobs to even be advertised. The exception being for private bilingual international schools, but they usually require teaching certification (e.g. a PGCE or equivalent).

What other qualifications do you have besides the MATESL? Are you taking the MA on campus, or is it a distance/online qualification?
Sudz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are blended degrees not recognized in Ecuador? I got mine through Nottingham University (MA TESOL), and while the lectures were done on campus, most of the work was done independently - with the assistance of our teacher (through Skype, emails, etc.)
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they aren't recognised, campus only.
Sudz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow even with if it's from a brick and mortar university....harsh
srbscott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Ecuador, Schmucwador Reply with quote

Sudz
Guatemala is where you want to be.
Most salaries are around $1000, some higher.
I've had offers / signed contracts for $1500 with flight reimbursement.

Currently talking about $1200 with a $300 housing stipend, no flight.

Some schools are always scrambling to fill last minute openings.

Safe and fun. Nice local folks. Interesting culture. Close to home (sorta USA)
Let me know
Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: