Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Ecuador after MATESL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amanda.ron

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Moving to Ecuador after MATESL Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I posted this in a different section, but that section appears more or less inactive.

This is my first post on this forum, and I'm hopeful that I can find some help. I'm currently in a MATESL program and will finish my program in the Spring of 2019. I intend to move to Ecuador permanently in the Summer of 2019 after my program. I'm experiencing a few problems though. I'm very worried about finances. I'll have a lot of student debt and my loan payment will be between $300-$500 a month and I've read teaching jobs generally pay around $750 a month. Can anyone tell me how rare it is to find a job paying over $1000. I don't mind living skimpy for a year or two till I can find that higher paying job, but I'm also hoping it might be possible to find a decent paying job right away. I'll have 1 year experience teaching adults ESL by the time I graduate.

Another question I have is HOW to find those jobs. There are 0 jobs on Dave's ESL in Ecuador and I'm unsure where to go to find positions to apply to.

Any help is much appreciated, and if you have ANY advice about teaching in Ecuador I would love to hear from you.

Side-note, I thought I should mention that I do not wish to move to a higher paying country to pay off student loans first. Although that was my original plan, I have family waiting for me in Ecuador and I want to reunite with them ASAP. I'll do whatever it takes to move to Ecuador immediately after my program.

Thank you all!!!!
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In many countries you have to be physically present and go round potential employers in person. I suspect Ecudaor is in this category

You finish in 2019 ? Or 2018 ?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this summer 2016 article, Teaching English In Ecuador. It provides some useful info. You might even be able to contact the author.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Moving to Ecuador after MA TESL Reply with quote

Hello,
Scot is correct. I have recently visited various countries in Central & South America, and one must be on the ground to find teaching positions. It will be difficult to save or pay off debts with the salaries in those regions.

Have you checked out South America thread on Dave's? There have been a few inquiries about TEFL in Ecuador. You can also google "ex pat forum and Ecuador" where many have posed questions on teaching opportunities.

BTW, Ecuador, as well as Panama, are popular retirement spots for many native English speakers, so you would be competing with many of those ex-pats who are happy to teach EFL part-time at $5-7/hour without any benefits.

I sent you a PM.

Regards,
PS
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few options to think about.

Option one, Drop out of school immediately before incurring any more debt, you will not earn enough more over someone with a BA in Latin America to make it worth it. You might consider transferring to a cheaper school if you have your heart set on holding a graduate degree.

Option two, go somewhere with much higher pay rate for several years after finishing your MA.

Option three, go to Ecuador and rent a place with a very good and reliable internet speed and teach Chinese kids online in the wee hours of the morning, teach a few local classes in the afternoon for kicks and beer money. When I was in Ecuador (in 1996, so I hope things have changed) good and reliable were not words you could apply to electricity let alone internet so I'm not sure if this is a feasible option or not.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amanda.ron wrote:
Summer of 2019 after my program. I'm experiencing a few problems though. I'm very worried about finances. I'll have a lot of student debt and my loan payment will be between $300-$500 a month and I've read teaching jobs generally pay around $750 a month.
I have family waiting for me in Ecuador and I want to reunite with them ASAP. I'll do whatever it takes to move to Ecuador immediately after my program.

Others offered some good advice. I'd like to add that you consider dropping out of school since you mentioned that you're itching to join your family in Ecuador ASAP. That seems to be your biggest priority. Plus, you're worried about being able to pay your student loans by the time you finish your MA in 2019.

If you decide to leave your MA program... If your uni also offers a graduate certificate in TESOL, see if you've already completed the coursework for that qualification. If that's the case, you would at least have a grad cert under your belt than to have dropped out with zilch. You can finish your MA later (by distance) one course at a time once you're able to save up some money.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already replied on your thread in the South America forum. However, I will add some general info here in case anyone else comes across it. An MA definitely confers higher earning potential over a BA in Ecuador, as it opens the door to university work on an academic contract, which is more lucrative than language school work, or university work on an administrative or support contract. The bilingual international schools still pay the most, but you generally need teaching certification for that.

Online, blended or distance qualifications are not recognised here. You cannot simply come to Ecuador and complete the Masters at distance. Graduate certificates are worthless because they cannot be registered here, so they are not recognised.
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
I've already replied on your thread in the South America forum. However, I will add some general info here in case anyone else comes across it. An MA definitely confers higher earning potential over a BA in Ecuador, as it opens the door to university work on an academic contract, which is more lucrative than language school work, or university work on an administrative or support contract.

You are the Ecuador expert, so I completely differ to you. But for example in Mexico an MA will really only earn you 100-200 US dollars more a month. That's great if you are just looking at wage versus living expenses. But if you have loan payments of 300 to 500 US dollars a month, you are looking at simply NEVER reaching the point where the cost of the MA was worth it in increased earnings.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A typical wage at a language school in Quito is $750-$1,000/m. At a university with a BA, if you can get hired, it'll be about $100/m more. You would already be at the top of the scale, so that wouldn't rise much over the years. With a Masters degree you can work in better rated universities on an academic contract with a starting rate of $1,200-$1,500 rising to $1,500-$1,800 as you get more post qualification experience.

It also makes you more employable. The government have introduced new regulations about university teachers requiring post-graduate qualifications, and there just aren't sufficient courses or qualified teaches available. If a university doesn't have enough teachers with post-grad qualifications, they take a big hit on their ratings, so right now, there is a big demand for it, especially amongst the top rated universities.

With full teacher certification, at one of the top international schools, the wage for an overseas hire is around $1,800-$2,400 plus benefits. Obviously, those jobs are highly competitive.

Last edited by HLJHLJ on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying, HLJHLJ. The OP has some major decisions to make.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like whether or not to pay back the student loan?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
Like whether or not to pay back the student loan?

Whether to add on other credentials, drop out, transfer to a less-expensive university in town, graduate and head to another country to pay down debt...

Intentionally defaulting on a student loan isn't advisable. Life/work situations can change, sometimes leaving no option but to return to home soil.
amanda.ron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone. First off thank you all for going out of your way to respond and to give me advice concerning this matter. I highly appreciate it.

I understand why some have suggested I drop out of grad school, and although I appreciate the logic of that suggestion, my decision to pursue a MATESL is more for myself and less for the financial gain. I have no teaching experience or qualifications, and I want to provide effective and efficient instruction to potential students and I truly believe I can only do that with a MATESL degree. Others perhaps take to teaching much easier than I and don't need a full degree.

I am considering the possibility of teaching over the internet. Last I was there two years ago the internet connection was strong enough for online teaching.

One last thing, I do realize I'll be paying off my student debt the rest of my life, but I do still intend to pay it. I agree that going into default is not a good solution.
Retire to Teach

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Government Programs or Fellowships Reply with quote

Are there any fellowships or programs, such as Fulbright or US State Department that might provide better paying teaching jobs in Ecuador?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fullbright have an institute here, it pays about the same as other good language schools. I'm not aware of any US State Department jobs. There's a big Peace Corps presence, but when they've advertised training roles, the wage has been low for what they wanted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: