Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prince Sultan University

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
franki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Prince Sultan University Reply with quote

I've just seen that PSU English Department is seeking applicants for the positions of Language Lecturer/Language Instructor for its up-coming Academic Year 2018/ 2019. The ad unfortunately doesn't state what the salary is. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

Much appreciated
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most direct-hire positions don't indicate salary because it's calculated based on certain criteria. You'd have to apply to find out what your quals and verified experience will get you.
franki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true nomad soul. However, some universities such as KFUPM, KFU, and a few others have recently put what teachers can expect to be paid on their job advertisements. KFUPM seems to be the best paying university (I did in fact used to work there many years ago). For someone like myself with a BA in English and a full time MA in Linguistics plus 20 years experience would be paying around 16,000 SR a month. However, there are other universities in Riyadh, Jeddah, Yanbu, etc that are only paying around 9,000 SR a month.
I was therefore just wondering where Prince Sultan University positions itself. In other words do they have a reputation for paying well, or not so well?
Perhaps someone out there has worked at Prince Sultan. I'd appeciate any info.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years back a lot of universities cut the salaries of teachers when the price of oil fell off a cliff. PSU did not for existing staff. For new staff I have no idea, PSU has a low turnover and people don't really like to comment on their salary anyway.

It was recently voted #1 private university in Saudi, salary is never late, accommodation is good, the faculty is nutter-free, the admin staff are pretty efficient, IT help is usually good, the university has excellent links with businesses and a good reputation, and with your qualifications and experience I would be surprised an offer would fall much short of your target. Give it a try.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Nutter-free" ? In KSA ? Wow ! Double-wow !
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franki wrote:
For someone like myself with a BA in English and a full time MA in Linguistics plus 20 years experience would be paying around 16,000 SR a month. However, there are other universities in Riyadh, Jeddah, Yanbu, etc that are only paying around 9,000 SR a month.

I was therefore just wondering where Prince Sultan University positions itself.

Those 9000 SR salaries are likely via contracting companies and not reflective of direct-hire situations. I suspect PSU pay is calculated based on the candidate's verified previous experience. Plus, there's a cap on salaries; someone with 20 years of experience likely won't get credited for all those years even if he/she can produce employment verification.

I interviewed with them 5+ years ago while attending TESOL Arabia's job fair. They were quite professional yet rigid in how they expected teachers to teach. I received a second interview (by phone) a couple of weeks later but decided to go with another university.

So what are you worth? Again, you have to apply to find out. It shouldn't be too difficult to send off your CV. Wink
hash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franki wrote:
KFUPM seems to be the best paying university (I did in fact used to work there many years ago). For someone like myself with a BA in English and a full time MA in Linguistics plus 20 years experience would be paying around 16,000 SR a month..

If you believe KFUPM (the former UPM) is the best paying uni AND you used to work there, the question arises why you don't apply to return there. As a former member of a uni job application committee, that's the first question I would want answered.

I've run into this situation many times in the past and I never received a satisfactory explanation from the applicant.....which immediately puts a damper on his current application, at least in my opinion. I could understand not wanting to return to a military based job, for example.....but KFUPM? What exactly happened there?

I question your allegation that "...some universities such as KFUPM, KFU, and a few others have recently put what teachers can expect to be paid on their job advertisements."

I watch the job ads quite closely on this and other forums and I can't remember the last time I saw what you say you saw as far as salaries. I do remember one place mentioning a salary of about SAR 9000 several months ago (in fact, I even posted a comment about it here). But I don't ever remember KFUPM or other uni actually stating a figure. They mostly say "competitive", but that's about it. Publishing a salary is certainly far from being the norm.

Further, given the staggering financial crisis the Kingdom is currently facing, you can no longer look to the past as an indicator of what a current salary might be at any location in KSA. Not only are the "glory" days gone for EFL teachers in KSA......it's also a totally different ball game.

[/b]
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was a member of the Recruitment Committee at a prestigious university in KSA. Some attention was paid to applications with an emphasis on getting information through "informal" channels.
franki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all your responses to my question. There are some very insightful comments. I have already sent off my CV and will hopefully get a response. There is an awful lot of negativity, but working in Saudi does have some positives. It is not what is was 20 years ago (or indeed 20 years before that), but due to the collapse of TEFL in the UAE, KSA remains a place to save money.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crucial aspect is CHOOSE YOUR MASTERS WITH CARE !
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

franki wrote:
I appreciate all your responses to my question. There are some very insightful comments. I have already sent off my CV and will hopefully get a response. There is an awful lot of negativity, but working in Saudi does have some positives. It is not what is was 20 years ago (or indeed 20 years before that), but due to the collapse of TEFL in the UAE, KSA remains a place to save money.

Any news?
Mysterious

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, wow. Shared a little truth about this work place and my message got removed. Hmm. Anyways, if anyone wants to know more anout their "hiring process".. Feel free to ask privately. Several similar stories now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: