Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Country to Live In
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JZer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Best Country to Live In Reply with quote

I know that this is subjective. If money was of no concern, what country would you teach English as a Second Language in? I am currently working to put myself in a financial position where salary will not be a key factor.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croatia (outside of the parts that have become seriously touristy recently). Lovely clean sea, nice food, unpretentious genuine people. Proximity to alps. Or Ljubljana
JZer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Croatia (outside of the parts that have become seriously touristy recently). Lovely clean sea, nice food, unpretentious genuine people. Proximity to alps. Or Ljubljana

How hard is it to learn Croatian? Also, unless you can already speak Croatian, do you think living in an area that you cannot speak the local language is enjoyable?

I actually really liked Croatian when I have visited the country. I last visited Croatia in 2013.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s a reasonable point. I speak a related language, so it doesn’t seem so tough to me to become functional in Croat ( or Slovenian). It could feel like a greater barrier to others, I guess.
But I would also note that Croats (and Slovenians) are generally pleasant and patient with the relatively few foreigners who make an effort with the language. Their uncritical attitude helps, I think.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowledge of any of the South Slavonic languages will help. Travelling in that part of the world I found that an ability to speak one of the languages was a great help in communicating !

My choice would be Serbia rather than Croatia, but different strokes !
JZer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to live in Brazil. However, I might need to live there for more than a month to make that determination.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree that the best living will come in a place where you speak the language. If English is widely spoken, teaching jobs for native speakers are probably harder to come by (though you can teach online these days for a supplemental income.)
After that, I would choose a country whose currancy is weak against which ever currancy your financial indepence is based on, so that likely means the global south.
After that I'd choose a climate you like, people love to vacation at the beach, but heat and humidity can get you down when it's month after month. I guess some people like it, but not me. I like the cozy feeling of a thick sweater and the pleasure of hot showers.
And as we age access to good medical care becomes more and more important.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Everyone's different. I've worked in the UK, Poland, the Czech Republic, Libya, Kuwait, Saudi, Qatar and the UAE. Lifestyle-wise the UAE wins hands down. However, in terms of enjoying the teaching, I think Central Europe is hard to beat because the students are educated and eager. Unfortunately, starting off in Central Europe these days is financial penury. Can't comment on south-east Asia as I've never taught there.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a similar question and there were some suggestions here;
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=117089
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the heat of the moment wrote:
I asked a similar question and there were some suggestions here;
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=117089

There are in fact lots of amazing places to live in Mexico. It's a very diverse country. There are beautiful beaches, there are colonial cities high in the mountians. There are forrests. There are art meccas. Yes, there are violent regions. There are also expensive regions. High speed internet is now pretty wide spread and you can buy just about anything you'd be hankering for from home in the cities or from Amazon. The minimum passive income for a resident visa is a bit high (definitely higher than the cost of living) and tourist visas are getting harder to renew. And there's plenty of work for those not picky about pay.
The Great Toad

Location: Formosa until Fall then... another English Crusade I shall sally off to ????

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw an add for Maldives on this web page. The pay was sub 2 grand but it i cluded housi g flights and visa. you could ski. dive every weekend with zero 500bucks a day hotel fees. I have no idea how tbe peole are though they could be kind or not.... I am in a trpical country making 2o times more than tbe minimum wage and around 4 o5 gimes that of the other English non native speakers. SE asia is hot but full of idiot scotter drivers. If I had a writ from Hevean no motor drjven tbing wkuld touch me it might be ideal
JZer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Toad,
The Maldives would be great. I would love to work there. However, it might be expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
The Maldives would be great. I would love to work there. However, it might be expensive.

I visited the Maldives last year, and spent a week on one of the islands. It was paradise and on the day I left I really didn't want to go. However the island I visited was so small you could walk around it in 10 minutes, and other than the resort and the associated activities there was nothing else there, not even a shop.

I have a feeling living in a place like that would get old fast. If the job is based in the capital - Male - then you'd have to get accustomed to a place with virtually no green space as the city covers every square inch of the island. I did a half day walk around the city, it's very crowded, noisy, and wouldn't be a place I'd want to live. If the job took the teacher to various islands that could be interesting, but it would all depend on the details of the contract because as you noted, Maldives is expensive.
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subjective, yes.

I've been living & teaching on a speck of an island in the Western Pacific for three years now. Yap. I've never been more content.

I had a simple wishlist of what I wanted for a post-Korea gig. Someplace warm year-round with some nice natural attributes, English commonly spoken, friendly locals, decent internet. All boxes checked. No age limit was a big factor too, I'm mid-60s.

I teach ELA/Lit in the public high school but realistically it's ESL. It's a challenging fun job. My wage covers my cost of living, though there's not a lot to spend on or do here really, just enough, which suits me fine. Not for those with a low boredom threshold though.

Friday after work now sipping a cold beer on my porch with a sublime view of lagoon, palms & greenery, exotic birds, & sky.
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa, how did you find that job?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: