Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Country to Live In
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schwa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visited, really liked the place, wanted a job here, made it happen.

The story from the beginning in some detail is on my thread "micronesia" on the General Asia Forum.

Yap is a viable place to live & teach if you can imagine being on a remote island of 7000 villagers.

Life is soft here.
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any suggestions? My criteria would be enough to pay your bills without drawing from outside resources. I would not want to work more than 16-20 hours a week. Basically, like being retired, even though I have only in my late 30s.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions? My criteria would be enough to pay your bills without drawing from outside resources. I would not want to work more than 16-20 hours a week. Basically, like being retired, even though I have only in my late 30s.

If you can find yourself some decent online work, you could basically live anywhere.
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:
JZer wrote:

If you can find yourself some decent online work, you could basically live anywhere.

Then you are limited by internet speeds. There are some places that it would be hard to work online, especially the internet speed required for teaching online.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions? My criteria would be enough to pay your bills without drawing from outside resources. I would not want to work more than 16-20 hours a week.

Suggestions? Your criteria is too general. You'd mainly be limited based on the following: 1) your qualifications; 2) whether there's a need for foreign EFL teachers; 3) benefits offered (if any); and 4) having the right passport/securing a proper work visa.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Then you are limited by internet speeds. There are some places that it would be hard to work online, especially the internet speed required for teaching online.

Yes that is one limiting factor. However the situation is improving as I understand it. The introduction of 4G mobile services even in some of the more remote areas opens up new possibilities. And there are aggregator services that combine multiple (weaker) connections into a stronger one.
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
JZer wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions? My criteria would be enough to pay your bills without drawing from outside resources. I would not want to work more than 16-20 hours a week.

Suggestions? Your criteria is too general. You'd mainly be limited based on the following: 1) your qualifications; 2) whether there's a need for foreign EFL teachers; 3) benefits offered (if any); and 4) having the right passport/securing a proper work visa.

I have an American passport. I also taught ESL from 2005-2011. I have taken a break from teaching ESL since 2011. I am back in the United States and dreaming of living abroad again.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
I have an American passport. I also taught ESL from 2005-2011. I have taken a break from teaching ESL since 2011. I am back in the United States and dreaming of living abroad again.

You mentioned on another thread that your degrees aren't related to TESOL. Be aware that the TEFL market and many country regs have changed over the past 7 years. Additionally, you've been out of ESL classrooms since 2011. While you scout for jobs, consider doing some volunteer teaching at one of your local refugee/ESL literacy nonprofits to get your skills back. If you don't have a TEFL cert, look into completing one.
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
JZer wrote:

You mentioned on another thread that your degrees aren't related to TESOL. Be aware that the TEFL market and many country regs have changed over the past 7 years. Additionally, you've been out of ESL classrooms since 2011. While you scout for jobs, consider doing some volunteer teaching at one of your local refugee/ESL literacy nonprofits to get your skills back. If you don't have a TEFL cert, look into completing one.

I may consider getting a Master's in TESOL. Of course, I am not sure that I can justify the $50,000 cost.
Teachstorm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jzer.. you from Pittsburgh, so am I? Haha. I taught in Korea, came back to the USA, worked for about 4 years, then went to China and worked for 3 years as a foreign center supervisor. Moved back in 2015 and have been working in USA saving. Plan is to move out in a few years, with my wife and kids, and establish a life abroad, where I can save some, but never have to touch the principle.

What did you end up doing?
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently in Pittsburgh.
Argofoto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
JZer wrote:

I may consider getting a Master's in TESOL. Of course, I am not sure that I can justify the $50,000 cost.

You could do a MA TESOL in Puerto Rico, last I checked (Before the hurricane) its less than a quarter of what you're quoting. Plus it will show you went to a uni in the US on your diploma
JZer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argofoto, that would be an interesting option. However, I don't know about working in Puerto Rico. I am not sure how I would cover my living expenses. I have a job in Pittsburgh.
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
JZer wrote:

An off-campus masters from an Australian university would be much less than that - probably slightly under half.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:

Since you currently work as a trainer for the US government, check with the OPM about tuition assistance. Also, instead of majoring in TESOL, consider an MA in Curriculum and Instruction, which is more in line with your present role and more marketable for positions outside of TESOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: