Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching jobs for retired American lawyers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retire to Teach

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Teaching jobs for retired American lawyers Reply with quote

What are the teaching opportunities for a retired American lawyer? I’d prefer to teach at a university or to corporate managers. I’m interested in living comfortably in a nice location where I can supplement my income.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't provide enough info.

Are you a newbie or experienced in TEFL? Other than a JD, do you have a TEFL cert? A TEFL-related degree? Where (country/region) are you interested in teaching? And... By retired, are you age 60+?
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching Legal English somewhere exotic. Kazakhstan ? Myanmar ? Mongolia ?
Retire to Teach

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: JD Reply with quote

I’m 60+ and planning to do Celta to prepare for teaching.

What I have in mind is teaching business or legal English and/or business or law in a university, votech, private corporate, or local law firm setting.

As this will be a retirement job, my focus is on comfortable living in a pleasant location. I’m very open minded as to location.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: JD Reply with quote

Retire to Teach wrote:

What I have in mind is teaching business or legal English and/or business or law in a university, votech, private corporate, or local law firm setting.

As this will be a retirement job, my focus is on comfortable living in a pleasant location. I’m very open minded as to location.

The biggest limiting issue is your age. In most countries where there is a decent EFL market (lots of jobs) you cannot get a work visa if you are over 60. In many labor markets where an American can get a work visa the limit can be as low as 50-55 for an initial visa.

If you want a laid back kind of life there are the American protectorates and territories (Guam, Micronesia, etc) where the visa would not be an issue for you.

Your other option would be to get a retirement visa for somewhere and work under the table as a guest lecturer or at a language institute (illegal but commonly done).

Getting a retirement visa and working in a country with decent internet (like Thailand and their fiber optic networks) and working on-line as a digital nomad is also an option (and common enough).

You could also go to Central / South America but the pay is peanuts and you will likely just be working illegally on a tourist visa.

nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retire to Teach wrote:

Your age is an issue for the reason suphanburi gave. Plus, there aren't a lot of opportunities to teach US law abroad given that each country has their own unique legal system. That said, you don't mention your area of law. If you have a background in something like cybersecurity, you'll get work.

I taught an English for Legal Purposes course in a college business English program in the Mid East. I also developed the curriculum from scratch because there were no off-the-shelf courses available to fit the students' main goal (contract writing). I have background in legal/law and an MA in Teaching, so it wasn't a challenge for me. If you're able to land a position overseas, keep in mind you may be faced with creating course content as well.

What about teaching law-related courses online for a couple of US colleges/universities? You could live overseas in a low-cost location while earning a livable salary.
Retire to Teach

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Where? Reply with quote

Locations I am considering include Southern Europe, Eastern Europe, Latin America, or SE Asia.

Does anyone have a list of work visa age limits for various countries?

Maybe I should start or buy a school, teaching English to locals, and the native language to Americans? I could do that on an investor visa?

My primary practice areas are admiralty and real estate.

There must be universities that have Comparative American Law courses. There are a variety of subject matter courses that I could teach at a maritime university, including Maritime English and/or a prep course for the Marlins Test.
Retire to Teach

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Where? Reply with quote

Locations I am considering include Southern Europe, Eastern Europe, Latin America, or SE Asia.

Maybe I should start or buy a school, teaching English to locals, and the native language to Americans? I could do that on an investor visa?

There must be universities that have Comparative American Law courses. There are a variety of subject matter courses that I could teach at a maritime university, including Maritime English and/or a prep course for the Marlins Test.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Where? Reply with quote

Retire to Teach wrote:

American within the EU... no work visa.

Eastern Europe - you have to be there and still no guarantee of a visa.
Age may be a limiting factor in some countries (and rules change).
In places where retirees can get a visa you will find that wages are very low and jobs in Higher Ed with English as the language of instruction just don't exist.

Central and South America - visas are possible but MOST employers will not go to the time, trouble and expense of getting the paperwork done for you to get a visa. Mostly, illegal work.

East / SE Asia - Korea, China, Thailand, Taiwan, Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia are out due to your age.

Brunei won't give a work visa as a teacher to Americans. Age limit is 55 for other work.
Vietnam - you can get a business visa but not a work visa as a teacher due to age.

Singapore - age factor.

Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos are possible. Fly in, buy a business visa and go to work. Rules for visa issuance change regularly based on geopolitics (MOD EDIT) and the rule of law does not exist.

The American protectorates in the Pacific are open to you. No age or visa issues.

Retire to Teach

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Locations Reply with quote

Vietnam and Cambodia seem like good possibilities.

Rumor has it, that lots of people work in Thailand for years on 90 day tourist visas.

I wonder about Myanmar. A former classmate served in the US diplomatic Corp in Myanmar 20 years ago. He liked it there and saw a lot of potential.

Philippines?

Cuba?

Seychelles Islands? Cape Verde Islands? Azores? Canary Islands? Malta? Cyprus? Sardinia? Ceuta? Croatia? Albania? Macedonia? Greece? Bulgaria?
Retire to Teach

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Locations Reply with quote

Rumor has it, that lots of people work in Thailand for years on 90 day tourist visas.

I wonder about Myanmar. A former classmate served in the US diplomatic Corp in Myanmar 20 years ago. He liked it there and saw a lot of potential.

Philippines?

Cuba?

Seychelles Islands? Cape Verde Islands? Azores? Canary Islands? Malta? Cyprus? Sardinia? Ceuta? Croatia? Albania? Macedonia? Greece? Bulgaria?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retire to Teach wrote:

Philippines?
Cuba?

You seem to be focused on so-called exotic locales and not where you might actually get work. Regardless, your age, lifestyle interests, and the availability of jobs in your chosen teaching domain will still be an issue.

I suggest you first determine if there's a need for someone with your background in any of those countries. For example, Google maritime universities for a global list of English-medium unis. You can search for university jobs in your specialty area in your target countries, and if they exist, what the requirements are, including language, nationality as well as age limits per the country's immigration regs. (Generally, expat worker age limits are tied to the current retirement age for citizens of many countries.) Don't count on outdated info, including others' experiences from years ago; labor and immigration regs (as well as economic/political climates) can and do change.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Locations Reply with quote

Retire to Teach wrote:

Philippines?

Cuba?

Vietnam not legally.

Cambodia, sure. Just buy a business visa. Same with Myanmar (if you don't mind the risk with the current genocidal military).

The days of year on year illegal work in Thailand are pretty much going the way of the Dodo bird. Military dictatorships are kinda like that.

Work in the Philippines? Not legally unless you marry one and get a 13a visa. They export teachers to the rest of Asia.

American working as a teacher in Cuba? ... That was just funny. No possible chance of a visa.

Write off the EU member states AND their offshore territories. No visa for you.

The world is getting smaller and if you want to be legal, even smaller yet.

2 strikes against you ... American and over 60.

Where you can work as a senior are not usually places an American wants to be.
Where Americans are welcome you are too old.

Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, Saipan, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, USVI and you won't have to worry about a visa or your age.

suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if being legal is not an issue for you then just get on a plane for your favored destination.

There is always work to be had but illegal work is also inconsistent and not without risk (detention, fines, 3rd world police / immigration /. bribes / jails, and then paying for your own deportation).

scot47

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure there are universities in many countries teaching Comparative Law. The question is "Why should they give YOU a job ?"

I always fancied teaching at Yale but never tried to get a job there !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: