Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University Salaries Increasing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rioux

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuliuchiba wrote:
The tightened regulations are starting to show a real effect on the market.

Do you think this trend will continue for some time?
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
wuliuchiba wrote:
The tightened regulations are starting to show a real effect on the market.

Do you think this trend will continue for some time?

Probably depends on the location though. Popular areas such as Qingdao would be a different animal. Shanghai is definitely an exception.
Three and four years ago, I rarely seen an FT out where I live (area near many good schools). But in the last couple of years there seems to be more and more FTs moving here. It's amazing the upturn (def no longer the novelty that I was in these parts haha)!
I've spoken to a few Principals in the area who have suggested that there is an abudance of English Teachers over the past few years but it's much more difficult to get good foreign subject teachers (for obvious reasons).
Life is still good for the reliable FT here and I have received a payrise annually tbf so not complaining. And maybe the tightening regulations will have an effect here over time but it doesnt seem to be happening at the minute.
cormac

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuliuchiba wrote:
I'm not a newbie. I have several years' experience in China.

Sorry I didn't mean to suggest that you were a newbie, or lacking teaching experience.

However, I posted my opinion as regards to starting positions in China. Established teachers with previous experience and personal knowledge of Chinese culture are going to receive higher salary amounts.

Are salaries increasing? Yes, they are. No dispute there. I disagree that salaries for new teachers have increased much and that they'll continue to increase. I do think that salaries for experienced teachers with past knowledge of China will receive greater benefits/salary, and likely those will continue to increase for a while.
rioux

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just offered a position at Lishui University. 14-16 hours for 5,500RMB.

I had to read the amount 3 times just to be sure it didn't really say 15,500, but every time I did it always read 5,500RMB.

I declined the offer.
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rioux wrote:

I had to read the amount 3 times just to be sure it didn't really say 15,500, but every time I did it always read 5,500RMB.

I declined the offer.

5,500 sounds about right for someone who shows up, throws on a movie for 20 minutes then sends the students out to "translate stuff" around campus. Maybe reconsider? Laughing
rioux

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blistering Zanazilz wrote:
rioux wrote:

I declined the offer.

5,500 sounds about right for someone who shows up, throws on a movie for 20 minutes then sends the students out to "translate stuff" around campus. Maybe reconsider? Laughing

I guess it would, but not for me because I have never shown any movies. Laughing

I would accept the offer if I didn't have any classes to teach. I mean I'd show up and make an appearance on campus now and then so my white face can be seen. I'd also be a judge for any beauty competitions they may have. I did that once at a college I worked at in the Philippines. There were 3 of us judging and I was put in the center. It was great.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they are essentially offering about 90 RMB an hour, maybe a bit less. 60 or so hours a month for 5500, assuming that is after tax.

And they wonder why foreigners do not come in floods to take it? For that pay they would have to literally take anyone.
rioux

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
And they wonder why foreigners do not come in floods to take it? For that pay they would have to literally take anyone.

No degree, no experience, no problem.
Markness

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a person in power now that takes the whole corruption thing very seriously. With that in mind, this has lead to stricter regulations when it comes to who they can allow teaching at their private/public schools. I have friends that have gotten the boot because they are not from the right countries, and I feel that this is a step in the right direction for our market if we want to stop living in shoebox apartments for the rest of our lives.

I know that may sound a bit cruel but hey.. I have a family to feed. The market has been swamped with illegal workers for far too long that has caused stagnant wages. Don't get mad at the system if you're breaking the rules and/or are trying to get through with loop holes and eventually get caught.

What's happened? I've noticed that the price for private work has spiked from 100-150 to 200+ now. The training school jobs that were offering only 8-9k per month a few years ago now are offering in the range of 12-16k. And people called me crazy.. this isn't a coincidence folks. I think this trend is great for us that are here with the proper paper work from the proper countries that are trying to make a living. Good luck to you that are sticking it out because it looks like things are going to be safe here.

If you want to make it a long-term thing here then make sure you have the proper paperwork (degree/certificate) and you'll be just fine.
rioux

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markness wrote:
There is a person in power now that takes the whole corruption thing very seriously. With that in mind, this has lead to stricter regulations when it comes to who they can allow teaching at their private/public schools. I have friends that have gotten the boot because they are not from the right countries, and I feel that this is a step in the right direction for our market if we want to stop living in shoebox apartments for the rest of our lives.

I know that may sound a bit cruel but hey.. I have a family to feed. The market has been swamped with illegal workers for far too long that has caused stagnant wages. Don't get mad at the system if you're breaking the rules and/or are trying to get through with loop holes and eventually get caught.

What's happened? I've noticed that the price for private work has spiked from 100-150 to 200+ now. The training school jobs that were offering only 8-9k per month a few years ago now are offering in the range of 12-16k. And people called me crazy.. this isn't a coincidence folks. I think this trend is great for us that are here with the proper paper work from the proper countries that are trying to make a living. Good luck to you that are sticking it out because it looks like things are going to be safe here.

If you want to make it a long-term thing here then make sure you have the proper paperwork (degree/certificate) and you'll be just fine.

Agree! I will say though that I was charging 300RMB for privates back in 2014.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
Markness wrote:

Agree! I will say though that I was charging 300RMB for privates back in 2014.

Yeah, nice post Markness (as it looks that I am indeed sticking it out). And in agreement with rioux, same here, but I do live in SH so horses for courses! And I wouldn't dream of working for 300RMB/hr at weekends now, I just find it tough going after a week's work! Nice to know that I have it at my fingertips though, but weekends off to me are just worth so much more!!
das31

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modernist wrote:
Quote:
It's doubtful employers (in China and elsewhere) consider job seekers' challenges with visa regulations when determining salary and bennies. Navigating visa processes are generally thought of as the job candidate's pre-employment responsibility.

Quote:
It blows me away that some of you guys can earn 30,000 RMB a month but i guess you're pretty stressed out and busy to attain that.

I'll admit, 30K a month for a Uni job is astounding. If it's just a standard ESL job with typical hours and responsibilities then he must have the best Uni job in the country. I would assume it's a supervisory role that requires some admin work, but no way to know unless he wants to post more details.

Interesting. I was given a figure of 25k per month working for a New Zealand university partner in Guizhou. Flights, accom, 3 months paid leave. So these positions do exist....
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

das31 wrote:

Interesting. I was given a figure of 25k per month working for a New Zealand university partner in Guizhou. Flights, accom, 3 months paid leave. So these positions do exist....

Happy with the job I have teaching in a HS, so I am not looking to move. However, why not share this university? Where/how/when did you find it? These are the things that would help ESL job seekers.
cormac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I'd love to hear how people find these high paying positions.

I'm not interested in them myself, since I prefer my low workload... but these forums often refer to these kinds of jobs and I've never known anyone on that kind of money without being in the top universities.
das31

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I'll share. It's a new venture by an institute of technology in New Zealand. They've already set up an off-shore program in collaboration with a chinese university and now they plan to send three New Zealand ESL / EFL teachers to teach EAP at another. The benefits / salary are somewhat similar to NZ university conditions but the salary is a little lower, I think because accommodation is provided. Here's the advertisement:

MOD EDIT

Last edited by das31 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: