Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Specific Tactics on How to Show Appreciation to Students

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bj80

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Any Specific Tactics on How to Show Appreciation to Students Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading some I/O psychology journals on the psychology of work. It appears that with happy employees, showing appreciation is a key thing.

I have decided to test it out in the classroom. Besides compliments, what are some other tactics in my literature discussion classes that can help show appreciation, respect for good performance, work, etc.?

My guess is having a discussion, writing down some good key points, and then commenting later?

Any other research, tactics, or other things to systematically learn this info?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bj80 wrote:
Besides compliments, what are some other tactics in my literature discussion classes that can help show appreciation, respect for good performance, work, etc.?

It depends on the students' ages and the culture. Since you're teaching kids in China, I suggest you ask over on that forum.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids in China. Possibly candy.

I agree with nomad that you should be asking on the China board. This is most definitely yet another question that does NOT have any generally-applicable answers, and thus doesn't belong here!!
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know their names and give them thanks for answering questions. Monitor work and give a good job comment. No need for something fancy. Just give positive feedback, it is easy.
Osiry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
Know their names and give them thanks for answering questions. Monitor work and give a good job comment. No need for something fancy. Just give positive feedback, it is easy.

In addition, it is important to ensure that the praise you give is actually reinforcing. If you're disliked as a teacher, then praise in front of other students is probably not going to act as a reinforcer for appropriate classroom behaviour.
Building rapport, and having a good relationship with your students, is the first step to delivering effective social praise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: