Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z Visa for non-natives
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesD

Location: "As far as I'm concerned bacon comes from a magical happy place."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of loopholes as noted above. I know a Spaniard who just got hired as a "Spanish Language Consultant".
Of course he'll be teaching English but we....(ahem, cough, cough, harrumph) .......THEY will have him teaching an extracurricular Spanish class to cover the paperwork.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the university in Xiamen, the "international school" in Guangdong and the training centre in Hangzhou all three had Filipinos, a Mexican, a Welsh girl, a few Africans (not South Africans) and then an American and Brit who didn't want to/couldn't get the work permit.

The Brit and American were (sorry, are) on 10 year business visas, the Mexican and Welsh lasses, and Africans are on student visas.

I've been told South Africans are not considered native speakers anymore.

It's good that China is trying to weed out the fakers and crims, but at the same time it's shooting itself in the foot - the cost of coming over now annd setting oneself up is getting prohibitively expensive, and TBH China is not now as welcoming as years gone, it's become a lot more expensive (3600/m for a tiny studio apartment in Hangzhou. I had a two story, four bedroom villa 5 minutes from the beach and mountains in Xiamen 5 years ago). The pollution is STILL bad compared to the rest of the world (I have asthma now after living here for 12 years).

There are other options, other countries, other careers, other livelihoods. If you work at a private centre, you're more than likely dealing with emperors and princesses (from age 2-50). Uni jobs just don't pay well, considering the cost of living in China these days.

That said I could go back to uni teaching + side work. However I might just throw in the towel, as I promised before, and head elsewhere. I have staunch beliefs about the conservation of animals, Sino-colonialism, sales of weapons to nefarious governments and groups, and general bullying of weaker Asian neighbours, so it doesn't sit well with me to be here really.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big attraction of China has been low barriers to entry. when you cite accommodation cost you can't then dismiss uni jobs as low paid, since most provide on campus apartments - usually single-occupancy.
Since I started in 2004, the degree reqjuirements have certainly ramped up.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you can't then dismiss uni jobs as low paid, since most provide on campus apartments - usually single-occupancy.

Yes, I can.

Xiamen University didn't offer on-campus apartments, and payed a paltry RMB8000/m.

I currently have offers that are RMB15k+/m, with paid accommodation.
twowheel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
Since I started in 2004, the degree requirements have certainly ramped up.

Yep. I, for one, think it's a good thing.

If one has the goods, then one is all good.

twowheel
IvanaShaanxi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuyp wrote:
I'm looking into Yunnan, would be lovely to get a job there. Now i'm not sure what to do. I mean, i'll give it a shoot and if it works i'll take my chances.
I just did my CELTA and China seems the best place for what i need to do- save up some $$$
Other places like Vietnam and Thailand doesn't seem to be as lucrative ESL markets as China is.

I heard that Yunnan salaries are not high.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:
Quote:
you can't then dismiss uni jobs as low paid, since most provide on campus apartments - usually single-occupancy.

Yes, I can.

Xiamen University didn't offer on-campus apartments, and payed a paltry RMB8000/m.

I currently have offers that are RMB15k+/m, with paid accommodation.

'Yes I can' on the basis of one example?
Elicit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say that I fail to understand why anyone would take one of these uni gigs for peanuts irrespective of ‘package’. Package probably means 12 to 16 hours a week (I do only a little more than this), third rate health insurance, a dump of an apartment and the ‘opportunity’ to spend weekends and evenings working under the table to try and earn a decent monthly income.

I guess could be OK for young singles, a retirement gig, or possibly a first year out here.
thechangling

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elicit wrote:
Have to say that I fail to understand why anyone would take one of these uni gigs for peanuts irrespective of ‘package’. Package probably means 12 to 16 hours a week (I do only a little more than this), third rate health insurance, a dump of an apartment and the ‘opportunity’ to spend weekends and evenings working under the table to try and earn a decent monthly income.

I guess could be OK for young singles, a retirement gig, or possibly a first year out here.

A couple of years ago i remember doing a comparative analysis of my 6500 RMB a month uni salary in Wuhan with a job I temporarily had in New Zealand of about NZ$52,000 and once i had factored in rent, furnishings, tax, the price of food (both eating out and cooking for myself), student loans and kiwisaver from my New Zealand salary, I was saving money in China but in New Zealand i was saving nothing.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that airfare, accom within walking distance of classroom, winter travel, access to subsidised cafeterias an 15 hours contact time per week were in addition to the 6500 which would be pretty much untaxed?
thechangling

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
I take it that airfare, accom within walking distance of classroom, winter travel, access to subsidised cafeterias an 15 hours contact time per week were in addition to the 6500 which would be pretty much untaxed?

I'm pretty sure it had already been taxed. I also has a couple of 'privates' that topped me up and allowed me to save in excess of NZ$1000 a month and still live very well. The cost of living (rent and food etc) in New Zealand these days is just obscene. I've never met anyone that can save anything from their wages here and everyone just lives a hand to mouth existence. So much for being a predominately 'middle class' country. It's all in the past now.
Elicit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6500 is not a salary, it’s an insult.

Based on saving NZ$1000 a month it would take one 41.5 years to buy a 100sqm apartment in NZ by my calculations. Imagine how long it would take with the base salary only. The irony is, for the former, China will not let you work passed 60 (most provinces) so that’s a no go, and for the latter one’d still be saving to buy when one’s six feet under.

The only way to improve circumstances is ‘just say no’. And then salaries may rise. If one is still accepting bad jokes as viable salaries then one is part of the problem not the solution.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real problem is that longer term your salary in China won't go up in the same way as you could expect in home country.
I live in NZ and luckily I own a home. Prices are rocketing and landlords are selling their rentals to cash out. This is forcing up rents as there is less rental stock.
The best option for FTs wanting better income in China is to do something entrepreurial. There was a thread on this a few years ago. I'll bump if I can find it.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=28310&highlight=entrepreneur
twowheel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
Here:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=28310&highlight=entrepreneur

Ah yes, I remember that thread. Many thanks for reposting it NS.

Warm regards,
twowheel
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: