Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bureaucracy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
efemmera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: bureaucracy Reply with quote

I have seen many compare and contrast posts on different countries but haven't really come across any comparing the bureaucratic requirements for teaching positions. I am aware that these posts exist within each country specific forum but it might be helpful to have an informal comparison in one place. It would be interesting to hear about people's experience in this area. How long did it take to get your visa? Was the process straightforward or maddeningly bureaucratic? Did your employer apply on your behalf or did you have to do so? Was the process expensive or did your employer pay? Has your experience been typical or atypical of others working in the same country? If you have been working in one country for a long time have you noticed a big change in the requirements? Thanks in advance to whoever decides to share!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how useful a general discussion on global immigration and labor regs/requirements will be. The same process can be straightforward to some while frustrating for others. For example, job seekers who have been out of their home country complain the most if they're required to produce verified documentation that can only be obtained back home. Besides, some people are more patient than others.

As for costs, that's employer specific. Generally, the better the job, the more likely visa and flight costs will be covered up front or reimbursed upon arrival. That's more a concern for job seekers who don't have to physically be in their target country in order to land a position.

I always expected the process to be tedious -- that's the norm. We live in a time when cyber security as well as threats to persons and country are a global priority.

BTW, in the US, the process for applying for a job and employment onboarding can be just as bureaucratic for citizens/eligible residents, and worse for foreign guest workers.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with nomad that a general list is unlikely to be useful. Even inside a single country, there can be numerous different types of issues that impact a visa.

These things are dependent upon:
what country issued your passport
what type of position you are applying for
your qualifications
your travel and work history
what documentation you already have in your possession and what you don't
whether you are new to the country or not
any family ties you may have with the country/region
your potential employer
how much assistance your potential employer provides
how organized and efficient the relevant local authorities are

...and etc.

Essentially, 'your' experience getting a visa 'here' is highly likely to be quite unlike 'my' experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: