Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Age limits for new EFL teachers in Japan.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpencerDowling

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Age limits for new EFL teachers in Japan. Reply with quote

Hello,

I am enrolling in a CELTA course in April, but in the meantime I've been looking into the AEON schools, that say they hire all ages - I'm 49 with a Honours Bachelor of Arts (2013) and seek input from similar aged teachers.

What's the reality of getting hired (... or anywhere for that matter) at my age?

Thank you in advance.
Rooster.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely possible to get hired. If you don't get hired by Aeon look at other schools.
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Age limits for new EFL teachers in Japan. Reply with quote

SpencerDowling wrote:
Hello,

I am enrolling in a CELTA course in April, but in the meantime I've been looking into the AEON schools, that say they hire all ages - I'm 49 with a Honours Bachelor of Arts (2013) and seek input from similar aged teachers.

What's the reality of getting hired (... or anywhere for that matter) at my age?

Thank you in advance.

Congratulations on finishing your Honours BA. What did you major in? Can you use that, or any other experience you may have, in your English teaching?

You can definitely get hired at 49 years old (However, whether you are an 'athletic' 49 year old or not will have a major impact on your ability to get a job). Eikaiwa (English conversation- AEON is one of the big ones) is one possibility. You may want to look into dispatch ALT (Assistant Language Teacher) companies as well. You may have a better chance with them, actually. Interac is the biggest. There are many, many others. These days dispatch ALT may get paid a little less than an eikaiwa teacher, but still have better hours. And very, very likely better, longer, holiday periods which can be put to use (see training idea below).
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note: the school year starts in April. With an undergraduate degree you are already able to work for Interac etc. (the higher-paying dispatch companies require a TESOL certificate- especially in Kanto. Interac does not require this). Honestly, in your situation, I would look at trying to be here for this coming April, because the vast majority of jobs for the entire country and for the entire year start April 1st. You might want to think about changing your plan from a CELTA to something less time consuming, that you could do in-person ASAP (over a few days). This type of company often advertising in small-place ads in newspapers. (I'm thinking Global TESOL, Oxford, etc). Not the best. But fast and give an introduction to the area.

A lot of jobs for ALTs and eikaiwa look at the TESOL certificate as a checkmark on their human resources checklist. Then, during the summer break, you could do a CELTA in Vietnam for example.

The reason I suggest this in you situation is that there is a psychological difference between looking at a resume of someone in their forties and someone in their fifties, especially someone just starting out in the country, and a CELTA really isn't well understood in this country. Starting your first job here before you turn fifty and studying Japanese like mad (speaking is far more important than reading) while doing it will help you here more than the difference between a CELTA and a kind of no-name brand TESOL certificate.
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studying Japanese and getting books on language teaching so you can speak intelligently about it in future interviews would be even better- do an amazon.ca or amazon.com check- there are many, many books on different subjects. I would start with a methodology book- maybe the one by Jeremy Harmer (The Practice of English Language Teaching [with DVD]) or Jim Scrivener (Learning Teaching: The Essential Guide to English Language Teaching [with DVD]) , plus a book on language teaching that is in some way related to your past experience or education (this will likely be an academic book).
aaaronr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane English School offers a Trinity program here in Japan. It's very similar to CELTA. You could do it during the August break.
dove

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was an older teacher in Japan. I had a lot of luck being hired for in-house company classes (business English, usually taught in the morning or in the evening). The companies that employed me didn't like the perky, fresh-off-the-boat type of teachers because they were often flaky, had no business experience, students didn't trust them, etc. Also, Japan's population is ageing.
SpencerDowling

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the helpful replies so far. It means a lot. It's been both encouraging and discouraging as I currently navigate my way through a midlife career change. I know from some of my experienced EFL teacher friends, that they are already facing some ageism despite 20 years in the field, but I'm going to go for it anyway. I have nothing to lose, considering the lack of new grad options for my age (50 in June) at home. My undergrad was a double major from University of Toronto in Human Geography and Urban Studies, with a Professional Postgraduate Certificate in Fundraising Management (2014). The nonprofit sector is mostly short-term contacts and focused on hiring people in their 20s. I have had a few short-term contracts, including an annual 4-month contract in event operations, but have had to rely on my bartending background and part-time painting to survive. Thanks again.
SpencerDowling

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GambateBingBangBOOM wrote:
Studying Japanese and getting books on language teaching so you can speak intelligently about it in future interviews would be even better- do an amazon.ca or amazon.com check- there are many, many books on different subjects. I would start with a methodology book- maybe the one by Jeremy Harmer (The Practice of English Language Teaching [with DVD]) or Jim Scrivener (Learning Teaching: The Essential Guide to English Language Teaching [with DVD]) , plus a book on language teaching that is in some way related to your past experience or education (this will likely be an academic book).

To prep for teaching EFL/CELTA course, I have the following books from the library - "A Concise Grammar for English Language teachers (Tony Preston, 2005), "Learning Teaching: The Essential Guide to English Language Teaching" (Jim Scrivener), and "Practical English Usage" (Michael Swan, 2016), and an EFL teacher friend is sending me another grammar text. I'll look for the Harmer book too. Thanks.
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpencerDowling wrote:

To prep for teaching EFL/CELTA course, I have the following books from the library ... "Practical English Usage" (Michael Swan, 2016) ... I'll look for the Harmer book too.

There is a lot of overlap between the Scrivenor and Harmer.

Also, I meant more that you should probably purchase a few books (so that you can brig them with you).

You might be better off getting a different kind of book rather than both of Scrivenor and Harmer (maybe one on sociolinguistics, like Janet Holmes' "An Introduction to Sociolinguistics", or an overview of linguistics itself- like Fromkin, Rodman and Hyam's text "An Introduction to Language"). It would be overkill to think you need to actually read one fo these texts before working at an eikaiwa, of course.

You can also make a list of really useful websites. This is a good one for grammar:

https://www.learnenglish.de/grammarpage.html
SpencerDowling

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the other book options, by the way, the EFL books that I mentioned borrowing earlier (i.e. Scrivener et al) are for CELTA preparation - not for AEON.

I submitted my application to AEON yesterday and will know shortly whether they are interested or not. Otherwise it's hustling side gigs, and if AEON says no, then it's the full-time CELTA course in April.

Cheers Smile
urbanadventurer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! There is significant age discrimination here in Japan, equal to that of South Korea.

If you are male and holding up well for 50 and have solid experience, along with the usual certifications then there is a chance, but it will take a while. If you fit this description with blond hair and blue eyes - your chances are better. Add a teaching credential from the motherland to the above, and I'd say you're in there !

I find it interesting that some major Japanese chain schools now require you to apply through gaijinpot. The first thing they see when they pull up your profile is your age. They cut right to the chase. Makes it much easier for them.

Do an experiment here on Dave's: Post your resume with your age in the headline one week, and then the following week without your age in the headline. You'll see the difference in the number of hits you recieve.

Sure, since Japan is such a desired destination for ESL teachers - companies probably don't have to look through resumes on sites like this one. But try it anyway for Asia in general - just for sh*ts and giggles! Ha!

Cheers!
The Transformer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a couple of mid-life career changers that came over to Japan in their early-40s and made a success of switching over to English teaching. One guy worked in eikaiwa for a few years, got married and set up his own school which he ran for 10 years before eventually going home. Another friend did a similar thing, then got into more "lucrative" ALT work, and did a TESOL MA.

Companies may like older applicants in some ways because they'll be more mature, disciplined and reliable than younger applicants. The ones who come over in their 20s are less reliable and tend to be more into partying and living it up, with the increased risk of them screwing up. The main priority for eikaiwa is to have instructors that turn up on time, dress tidily, behave in an orderly way and don't annoy the customers and put them off coming back. Teaching isn't a priority for them, if it features at all. Eikaiwa are just money rackets looking to rip their customers off and keep their overheads and wage bill as low as possible.
SpencerDowling

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get a bite from AEON. It was a shot in the dark, and maybe that's better in the long run because now I can focus on completing a TEFL/CELTA certification.
mcsilks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpencerDowling wrote:
I didn't get a bite from AEON. It was a shot in the dark, and maybe that's better in the long run because now I can focus on completing a TEFL/CELTA certification.

Have you considered starting your own school?

It's fairly straightforward and you can make ¥500,000+ per month for working less than many/most others.

Do some research on a location, keep your costs down, and hey presto; you have a job whereby you are your own boss.

Don't worry about your lack of practical teaching experience. You are merely a voice.

English teaching at these large chain schools is a young mans game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: