Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From Saudi Arabia to China
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saren

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: From Saudi Arabia to China Reply with quote

Hello, I have been teaching ESL since 2005. I have a TEFL and a background in Journalism. I speak 7 languages including basic Chinese. I started out in China (In Xiamen) and also worked in Beijing, Shanghai.

Then, I went to teach in Thailand, Malaysia, Spain and finally Saudi Arabia (where I am now).

I would like to return to China. I know the salaries are lower than Saudi (here I make over 4000USD/month tax-free and have free rent on top of that). My first question is Shanghai the only place in China that offers salaries above 25,000RMB/month?

I don't mind if a high salary package doesn't include benefits or housing (I don't mind taking care of my own housing), instead I am more concerned about the number of teaching hours per week, for example 12-16, or 18 (avg). So, please let me know if Shanghai is the place I should be focusing on?

In truth, I would much rather live in a lesser built up area with fewer people, perhaps Hainan or even somewhere in the Chinese desert (i.e. gansu, inner mongolia, ningxia, qinghai) but I know the salaries there are not likely to surpass 20,000RMB/month. So this post is just to reconfirm what I may already be leaning toward, which is Shanghai.
Dream_Seller2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really get what you pay for. You want Shanghai, well you are paying for it. It really depends on your goals and desires. But yes you can make over 20k quite easily in a city that is not a Tier 1 or 2. You can do it Very Happy I am living proof and I am doing so legally.
cormac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: From Saudi Arabia to China Reply with quote

saren wrote:
I don't mind if a high salary package doesn't include benefits or housing (I don't mind taking care of my own housing), instead I am more concerned about the number of teaching hours per week, for example 12-16, or 18 (avg). So, please let me know if Shanghai is the place I should be focusing on?.

With those kinds of hours, you're seeking university work. I know a variety of people on high salaries at university levels with those kinds of hours, but they have the experience, qualifications and more importantly the publications.

Sure, you can work with a language mill for those hours, but you're highly unlikely to get the income you seem to expect.

It is doable to make loads from working in the uni for low hours, and then making a bundle on privates, but you would still be putting in far more hours than what you listed above.

edit: Just realised I should point out I don't know the shanghai market except what others have told me. perhaps its better than I think.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done both too.

To build on what Cormac suggested, you may also want to consider a university job with minimal requirements in a city brimming with South Koreans like Dalian, Weihai, Lianyungang etc. With a modicum of effort, you could obtain as much side work as you could ever possibly desire. The normally thrifty Koreans will pay well for a qualified native speaking teacher for themselves and their children and usually shower you with food too.

Another option is if you can teach subjects for college prep like Economics. IELTs prep etc. The hard sciences pay especially well.

You could also go to the boonies and supplement with online income. Since you have Saudi experience, if you get to the point that you are serious, pm me and I can probably get you in to my Saudi online school.

But no, pay is nowhere as close per hour compared to actually being in the Magic Kingdom.
saren

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the pay per hour? About 10 years ago in Shanghai i managed to find a language mill willing to pay me 200RMB/hour. I would imagine that should be about 250RMB/hour now which is another question I have.

Should I get hired online and have them fly me in and pick me up at the airport and take me to an apartment or do all that stuff on my own and just ask for an hourly rate?
jimpellow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saren wrote:

Should I get hired online and have them fly me in and pick me up at the airport and take me to an apartment or do all that stuff on my own and just ask for an hourly rate?

I am starting to think that you have not read up on all the changes over the last few years.

I can't think of one employer who will fly you in. A rare one like Wall Street will reimbures you some time after arrival. You will normally get a return flight fully paid at the end of the contract year(if all goes well). Pick-up is still the norm(unless they don't show up). You will do the hiring process online and over the phone.

They you will go through a visa process which is convoluted, ever changing and requires more effort and expense than the iqama. You may not get approved as you have worked in a Muslim country and a minority of government officials fear that you will band with your Muslim brothers in Xinjiang and spread Islamic revolution.

Some schools of course provide an apartment - or in a fair amount of occasions - what they consider a suitable apartment for a foreign devil. More and more often you are usually put up in a hotel for a week and given a list of agents. Be prepared to pay several months up front to cover the contractual obligations of an apartment in China. They may ask you if you need a cash advance for this. Sounds very nice, but it is actually a test to see if you are living paycheck to paycheck and hence can be converted into their slave.

I won't comment on wages, as they vary a lot and I myself am no longer in China. I will add that you will now need to pay income tax as well as 11.5% for your benefits. Most of these benefits you are not eligible to use, although you can get most of it refunded when you leave.
cormac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saren wrote:
What is the pay per hour? About 10 years ago in Shanghai i managed to find a language mill willing to pay me 200RMB/hour. I would imagine that should be about 250RMB/hour now which is another question I have.

Be very careful about thinking that China hasn't changed much since you were here last. China has seen a lot of foreigners come and go within the last 10 years, and Shanghai more than most. The vast majority would be from India/Pakhistan/Africa. We like to think there's a lot of native english speakers, but there's not in comparison with other nationalities, and most of them get into the language mills.

China has become a very popular destination for teaching since Japan isn't what it was, nor are the other more traditional esl joints.

You really need to read the threads here going back for two years, and even then, things will have changed (new visa rules, friction with other countries, etc)... but, at least, you'll have a better idea of what it's like.

Quote:

I think you need to tell us what kind of work you've decided to do. Language mill (high work hours, high salary)
Public school (medium work hours, decent-high salary)
University (relatively low salary, best extras)
International school (high salary, high requirements)

Do you want to teach kids, teens or adults? That's the deciding factor really. Personally, I can't stand teaching kids/kinder so that cuts out a lot of the higher paid positions for me. I've been doing universities, corporate training, coaching, etc. But then teaching hasn't been my primary income for years.
saren

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true I only know China of 2005

Back then they flew me in and paid me the flight reimbursement within the first month, but only for the part coming into China. Although, this flight offer is not really important to me. I'd rather have a high hourly or daily rare or monthly salary (25k) then focus on perks or benefits.

So I can answer your question I would rather work in the private sector and for a language center, training center, corporate training or a private university or college teaching adults or anyone over 18. This is also the direct experience I have instead of teaching kids at public or international schools.

So I think I should take care of stuff on my own, my own flight, my own visa process instead of expecting the employer to offer me some package with benefits. I am just expecting a high salary. I don't mind if the hours are a little high. I also don't mind overtime.

I also forgot to mention I am from Canada, and not Saudi Arabia.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue with having taught in Saudi is not that they believe you to be Saudi, but rather that you were brainwashed while you were there. Funny but true..

On the face of it, you are not going to get the salary which you command for your stated focus. An upper end language mill like Wall Street pays about 17-18, without apartment, and works you quite hard.

Having said that, you may be able to "guan xi" a position which is not advertised on the boards. A handful of teachers are able to negotiate a high salary due to the dire shortage of qualified teachers. There are a few recruiters which specialize in higher end positions which you may want to seek out.

In general, the Chinese market does not put a high premium on years of experience and advanced qualifications.

In my opinion, the vast vast majority of teachers in China who are commanding that type of salary can walk the walk with A-level courses and test prep or are hustling for privates. IMHO, the privates route is now the more appealing route as the tax bite is onerous for high earners.

I wish you the best.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best choice would be working in a first tier city, because you can make 300+ in part time work.

If you can be a little choosy you can ask for 400 and maybe even 500[although most jobs offer 250-300].

Problem is first tier city rent is expensive. So, find a university with low hours, a z visa, flight, and paid holidays. Maybe 10-12 hours a week and paying anything reasonable [say 10,000].

Then do 25-30 hours on the side. If you can get your university to give you four or three days a week of work and put back to back [say 1-5 three days a week] then you can work a full ten hours on weekends. Even making 300 an hour means you could do 6000 on a weekend, plus a few more hours on the extra days off.

To make 25000 you'd need to make 15,000 from weekend work, and that's easily doable when people pay 300. You'd need to do 50 hours a month, or 12 a week, so that even means only 6 hours on a weekend, perhaps 10-12 and 1-5.
cormac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saren wrote:
It is true I only know China of 2005

Back then they flew me in and paid me the flight reimbursement within the first month, but only for the part coming into China. Although, this flight offer is not really important to me. I'd rather have a high hourly or daily rare or monthly salary (25k) then focus on perks or benefits.

You're not going to get it. Most people get the generic job type their first year in a city. Once you have contacts and a useful reputation, then you can get something closer to what you want.

Quote:
So I can answer your question I would rather work in the private sector and for a language center, training center, corporate training or a private university or college teaching adults or anyone over 18. This is also the direct experience I have instead of teaching kids at public or international schools.

It still comes down to work hours = money. If you want to earn, then you need to work longer hours, and many companies won't give you the hours... while actually making it difficult for you to get privates. Depending on your local PSB, it can be quite dodgy to get privates without getting caught and being pushed into a regular bribing thingy.

Word to the wise. Corporate training rarely pays off once you factor in the travel time, and waiting for classes to begin. That's generally your time, even if they send a car for you. IF you have the relevant qualifications, and business experience, I'd recommend coaching or a PA position instead. Far better money involved... but can be troublesome too (Chinese businessmen can be... difficult)

Lastly, for myself, University work is the best since I can easily get the hours/contacts to get privates (if I want them). Private universities tend to have better private fees, but keep an eye on places near a music or art university. Those places are a gold mine for privates. The warning with pvt uni's is that you have to satisfy the students, which can be difficult if you manage to get a class of opinionated morons...

Quote:
So I think I should take care of stuff on my own, my own flight, my own visa process instead of expecting the employer to offer me some package with benefits. I am just expecting a high salary. I don't mind if the hours are a little high. I also don't mind overtime.

I also forgot to mention I am from Canada, and not Saudi Arabia.

TBH I assumed you were a native westerner. You're simply going to have to do your 6 months/year stint before you land anything useful that might come even close to your plans. You need to develop those contacts on the ground.

I'm going to be moving city soon, and I'm feeling the pinch of not having all my connections to help me out.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a job offer to apply for a Z.
saren

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your posts

I think a first tier city is the place to focus on

And within the 1st tier choices, Shanghai seems to rank best in terms of providing the most jobs with the highest wages or salaries.

If I can find a room near the places to work, I think I can make it profitable despite being China's most expensive city.

My initial idea is to work a few hours per week with several different companies, language centers, etc..This way I can earn an hourly rate of about 250-300RMB.

If I can find enough of these, I can possibly earn with 15, 20 or 25 hours.

At at an average of 250RMB/hour for 25hours/week, that adds up to 25,000RMB/month.

If I earn 300RMB/hour or more, I can reach the same goal of (25K) with only 20 hours/week (at the same rate).

So, I will aim to fill up my teaching schedule with jobs paid by the hour (as I just explained above) or just take one job offer that pays the full 25k per month. Which ever comes first or works out best, I suppose.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please focus on the visa matter I highlighted above.
You need a job offer from a school authorised to hire foreigners. With that and a pass on the health check you apply to your local Chinese consulate for a Z (work) visa.
When you arrive your employer will take your passport to the PSB and a residence permit sticker will be placed in your PP.
You will also need to pass a local health check arranged by your employer.
Not unnaturally your employer will expect you do do your 16-30 hours pw contact time with their students at their school.
State schools have fewer contact hours pw, but lower pay.
Suggest you plan on just doing your contracted job for the first semester and look for privates later.
You seem to be mesmerising yourself with income calculations.

Last edited by Non Sequitur on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...agree with the above and you seem a little deluded thinking that one can just swan into SH and fill their schedule with 300/hr gigs Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: