Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips on Where to Look/Who to Contact/Where to Apply

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NuestroJuan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Tips on Where to Look/Who to Contact/Where to Apply Reply with quote

Greetings from Germany,

I hope everyone is doing well. I've been posting here and there as I continue to feel around for decent job opportunities. I posted already on another forum that I got married recently, and my wife and I moved to Germany. I've been teaching freelance at a university here, but other work opportunities, not surprisigly, have been few and far between.

I'm open to relocating so that I can advance professionally and earn more income. I have an MA in TESOL and almost ten years of experience (My wife is also not opposed to eventually joining me. She has similar qualifications.).

I am open to university teaching opportunities (I would like to gain more experience in that area), as well as high school/middle school and oil/Aramco-esque jobs. I do not have a US teaching license. I also understand that the market has changed over the years.

I would say my preference is to teach at the university level. I've heard that going through a recruiter (in the Middle East, at least) is not always the best path. I just feel overwhelmed when it comes to the universities in the Middle East (or elsewhere) that will even give me the time of day.

Does anyone have any advice regarding which universities to get in touch with and how to apply for some decent jobs in the region? I don't want to feel stuck applying for jobs through recruiters who may or may not have my best interests in mind, nor do I want to find myself being considered merely for jobs that seem shady or unpredictable when I can potentially do better.

Any leads, information, or advice - either in a response or PM - would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

NuestroJuan
Gulezar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Getting a job Reply with quote

Search for universities in the country you want to live in:
Qatar and the UAE are probably still the best for money and the best for lifestyle.
KSA can be good for money.
Oman for lifestyle.
Kuwait is not bad.
Then keep checking the websites for openings.
Send a resume direct to HR, but you will probably be told to apply through their jobs portal.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a few things going against you. For the direct hire university gigs some teaching experience in the Middle East is important. For the high school jobs in the UAE you need a teaching license. Conditions are also rapidly declining with benefits being cut and more contractors taking over. This is not to say that you won’t find something but your CV won’t necessarily stand out.

If months go by and nothing really materialises then I would consider a job at a College of Excellence in Saudi Arabia. The pay is generally quite good, and you will get some teaching experience in the region under your belt.
morningcoffee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salaries seem to be pretty woeful in Saudi Arabia these days. I also have a a MA TESOL and 11 years' experience and earlier this year, was offered a position with a technical college teaching students in the oil industry. The salary was much too low for the lifestyle concessions I would've had to have made so I passed.
metrego355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the future of jobs in this region? Is it tied to oil prices?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metrego355 wrote:
What is the future of jobs in this region? Is it tied to oil prices?

Oil prices are one thing. Salaries in the region have been slowly declining over the past 10 years, the oil slump continues to hurt wages and benefits even more, and there's a major initiative in the GCC to replace expats with qualified nationals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: