Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Taiyuan (Shanxi) expereinces/help???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hz88

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not in Taiyuan but am very familiar with Shanxi. Taiyuan itself is pretty much as others have described. Simply, there are very few foreigners. There is very little in the way of social life. It has some western amenities, the ubiquitous KFC's, McD's, two Walmart's, Starbucks (which are mushrooming) etc but my experience of the expats there is that they largely keep themselves to themselves. A fair few of the ones I know are actually married to locals.

As for the establishment you mentioned, I know where it is. Again, as described. What I have seen at another university in Taiyuan is that they have had such a hard time attracting native speakers they introduced a Russian class so they could employ a Russian teacher legally, he teaches two classes of Russian and the remainder are the usual ESL Spoken classes that would have otherwise been offered to a native speaker.

My guess is that is what is happening here.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdchristy wrote:
Tobi, I believe I have heard of this college, but I am not sure. I sent a message to a friend to see what he knows. Given that it is called a college, it is most likely a 3 year school. These schools are populated by students who perform poorly on the GaoKao and are unable to enter a University. In addition, tourism, as a major, is reserved for the lowest of the low performers. I have taught students in this major at one of the lowest ranked universities in China. At a Chinese University, students often get placed in a major based on academic performance. Students with a worse performance often end up as hotel or tourism majors.
It is likely that your students may have to take a course or two in German, but they will probably not care to actually learn. Rather, the school will expect you to give them a passing score irrespective. This same experience often occurs for English FTs. My wife and I referred to our experience as teaching the Chinese wall. That being said, I have a deep passion for education. I did serve several years in typical ESL positions while I adjusted to the local setting. I made contacts with different schools until I found my current location. Now, I teach students who genuinely want to learn English so that they can study abroad. I have found that most other students (ones who have no study abroad plans) usually end up looking for short-cuts and test tricks to pass Chinese-made English tests so that they can be certified in English (but lack real ability).

I wouldn't be too doctrinaire about Gao Kao and hotel management/tourism majors. Economic circumstances of students, as well as local province/out-of-province circumstances apply.
Certainly GK scores have a bearing on what level university will accept you but often students will accept a lower status major to get into a higher status school.
Often 3-year associate degree vocationals will be dedicated to a particular industry. Qingdao Hotel Management College being one such with 80 percent of students in that major. The others being tourism, and a couple of cuisine alternatives.
Hard to define a student as less able just because they enrol in a hotel course. Actually I found my oral English freshers at QHMC very motivated because they depended on English competence to get the better industry placements for their second year practicums.
From an economic viewpoint the 3-year course really meant one year of expense as Y2 was accommodated at their hotel host with uniform and food plus a small amount of pocket money. Y3 was pretty much non-existant as most students got very generous off campus time to actually work at their Y2 hotel.
I think GK allows students to apply to 7 or eight schools so the potential for 'gaming' is immense. Also some high status unis offering unpopular majors will boost numbers by offering places to students that normally wouldn't make the cut.
Modernist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS makes very good points as usual. At my old engineering school, for example, some of the English majors were worse at English than say, the accounting majors, who as far as I know, had better GK scores overall. (Those in my old province who were ACTUALLY skilled at English did not study it at an engineering school, haha!)

The civil engineering majors, who had very good GK, were typically hopeless at oral English. Whatever they learned in high school was totally devoted to gaming the GK scoring system and had no value in terms of actually speaking or using the language effectively. The only engineers who were truly skilled at English were the hydropower majors, who were the absolute top of the whole school and generally came from extremely good high schools in their home cities.

However, all this is still in reference to proper schools, even if they are provincial. My impression is that these 'foreign studies colleges' are pretty wretched overall. Even a 3-year vocational hospitality school would probably be a better environment than they are. I would never work at one, especially in a place like Taiyuan!
Modernist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It has some western amenities, the ubiquitous KFC's, McD's, two Walmart's, Starbucks (which are mushrooming) etc

By the way, I don't count KFCs or McDs as 'Western' amenities in China. These places are eseentially universal. Nowhere a Westerner would work WON'T have these, so why mention them? And Walmart in China hardly counts either. I don't ever shop in them any more, they have nothing in particular that places like RT Mart don't also have. 99% of their stock is totally conventional Chinese products. Starbucks is so eye-wateringly expensive here that you better not get used to going there often, especially on a Uni salary!

If that's all Taiyuan has, then Taiyuan has nothing. Like I said.
Quote:
A fair few of the ones I know are actually married to locals.

The only way any foreigner could stand to live there. Even then, if it was there or divorce, I pick divorce!
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further point is that GK has no oral component. Accordingly, for that 3rd high school year it is not taught or examined. As some ambitious students stay back for a 4th year to get a better GK and hence a better status school, that oral English drought is 2 years.
The unexpected consequence can be that higher status students appear to FTs as less able speakers than students at lower status schools.
As in so many other ways, China is a country of unexpected consequences. Think one child policy and Mao's mad scheme to kill all the sparrows.
cormac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modernist wrote:
Starbucks is so eye-wateringly expensive here that you better not get used to going there often, especially on a Uni salary!
!

How much is a Grande Mocha there?

I'm curious since I've lived on Uni salaries for the last few years, and Starbucks a few days a week wasn't a major expense. (I'd be expecting Xi'an to be more expensive than Taiyuan)
cdchristy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot has been said since as I last responded. I largely support NS and the Modernist in their descriptions of Taiyuan, the experience of an FT, and comments related to Chinese education. That being said, my comments are particularly related to my experience in a local university. In addition, my friend who works at the school that the OP has asked about echoes my comments related to the students. To be honest, I can not really speak beyond the local area since this is the only place in China that I have taught. Tobi, these students will be very poorly motivated to learn German or English because they will see no need for it. In general, they will come not have higher scores on the GaoKao as this is a 3 year college and few students would list it as their first choice for college.
As far as a bike ride, you would have to travel Taiyu Lu (a dangerous freeway) in order to make it in 30 minutes. I have done this myself and I can tell you (By actual experience) that it is dangerous.
If you want the exact location, you can pm me a WeChat id and I will send it to you. My friend who works there sent it to me already.
cdchristy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These comments are mainly in response to NS. Taiyuan and Qingdao are worlds apart (or at least I would think they are). Taiyuan, as described already by several of us, is not much of happening place especially for tourists. Local opportunities for Tourism majors are likely much more abundant in Qingdao and nearby locals. Students likely have more hope of finding a decent job. Taiyuan tourism majors do not typically have such hope. Sure, I have had a few students who were exceptions. While I wish students would develop themselves for a better opportunity (even if it is beyond Shanxi), most of them just can not imagine something beyond their present reality.
In addition, you mentioned some students deliberately choosing a lower ranked school. This school is the lowest of the low. There may be some who chose it, but I doubt there would be many. Likely, this difference in our views is related to the vast economic differences in our respective areas.
TobiasAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your answers ... you really throw quite a bad light on this whole situation Embarassed

Is there anything postive to say about Taiyuan? I mean its not like the town is unknown to tourists: there is plenty of stuff on Tripadvisor and similar platforms to be found ... Again, I dont even really care about tourists (which is rather funny considering that I would like to teach at a tourism college Twisted Evil ) ... I am not a person who sticks to myself most of the time; as I said 2-3 people to know and have around me is plenty.

Have you guys checked out the website I have send you (the one of the college) - is this REALLY the one you are talking about since there are a few similar sounding schools in Taiyuan - i have also send you the address this doesnt seem to be too far off town ...

In regards to cycling: Does anybody have experiences with getting a motorbike license by any chance?

Also, I have just been informed that I can choose between X and Z Visa ... apparently, both would be fine; the Z Visum being the proper work-visa; the X-Visa being the student visa with which I could however legally work apparently ... Any thought on this?
Elicit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have two:

1) Read the forum carefully
2) on your marks... get set... RUN
TobiasAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elicit this isnt very helpful :/

Its not even clear if we are talking about the same institution:?
Has anybody checked the website ... or those who have apparently taught at that school: Is that the one we are talking about??
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdchristy wrote:
These comments are mainly in response to NS. Taiyuan and Qingdao are worlds apart (or at least I would think they are). Taiyuan, as described already by several of us, is not much of happening place especially for tourists. Local opportunities for Tourism majors are likely much more abundant in Qingdao and nearby locals. Students likely have more hope of finding a decent job. Taiyuan tourism majors do not typically have such hope. Sure, I have had a few students who were exceptions. While I wish students would develop themselves for a better opportunity (even if it is beyond Shanxi), most of them just can not imagine something beyond their present reality.
In addition, you mentioned some students deliberately choosing a lower ranked school. This school is the lowest of the low. There may be some who chose it, but I doubt there would be many. Likely, this difference in our views is related to the vast economic differences in our respective areas.

Qingdao is in the province of Shandong which is not particularly affluent. Students both as 2nd year practicums and grads end up all over China - from
Beijing to Hainan. We talked about this in class a few times and I recall the ones who wanted to work locally being in the minority. Some liked the Sanya resort-type placement, others wanted big city. Dubai and other places were coming on stream for Chinese.
Home province jobs feature longer term as parents age. But this applies to a lot of offspring I expect.
cdchristy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobi, To be direct, I basically follow Elicit's perspective. I have done my best to answer your questions concerning the local area and have even contacted a friend who works at the school you mentioned (or as you seem to think--shares the same name but may or may not be correct). I honestly don't know what further help I may be on this matter. All of this to say, I wish you the best.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdchristy wrote:
Ok, I heard from my friend. He currently working there part-time (he works for several places). In a nutshell, everything I suspected is true. He called it soul crushing and doubts whether or not he will continue next semester. He said the faculty is nice but the students are the dumbest he has ever seen. Just to make this clear, my friend (in the past) worked at that low-ranking college with me teaching tourism majors. He said the students at the Tourism College were even dumber.
As far as location, the school is located on the outskirts of Taiyuan (SE). Busing is hit or miss and nothing is really close by. You will probably live in the city proper and have to ride a bus to get there.

I wonder which school is 'employer of record' for Z purposes?
cdchristy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS, my friend works for another local university and has permission from his FAO to teach at this school. He has the Z visa. Since the OP mentioned both the Z and X visa, this makes me wonder whether or not this school can even hire foreigners directly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: