Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POLYTECHNICAL SCHOOL, no name given, with AMERICAN ACADEMY
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammysez

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: POLYTECHNICAL SCHOOL, no name given, with AMERICAN ACADEMY Reply with quote

Male Native English Speaker ESL English Teachers - Eastern Province, Saudi Arabia, American Academy SA
This is an Immediate Hire position with an April 1st Start Date. This is a 6-month contract with the current Completion Date as September 30, 2018.

The pay seems to be quite low at $9,000 Riyals, which they said was attributed to the economy.

I'm editing and adding additional new info which I will also paste at the bottom:

This appears to be a Polytechnic School in Ras-Tanura, close to Dammam, college prep students 18-21 years of age.

The name of the institute is not given.

Last edited by sammysez on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gulezar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you would be assigned the duties of a "miracle worker": get young Saudi shabab up to a benchmark for a September intact, all during the summer months with a large part being during Ramadan. Lord help you, son!
Lord T

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 6months starting April 1 in EASTERN PROVINCE, AMERIC.ACA Reply with quote

sammysez wrote:

KInda surprised by the start date, as of April 1.

I guess we would be teaching in the summertime.

The pay seems to be quite low at $9,000 Riyals, which they said was attributed to the economy.

The start date is April Fools' Day. Read the thread on American Academy and don't become one of their fools.
leggeymountbatten

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9,000 ?????????

What happened to tefl in Saudi Arabia??
sammysez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:
It sounds like you would be assigned the duties of a "miracle worker": get young Saudi shabab up to a benchmark for a September intact, all during the summer months with a large part being during Ramadan. Lord help you, son!

I didn't even think of Ramadan. Would they lleave us sitting in our rooms or at school with nothing to do? Would we be paid for the month of Ramadan?
sammysez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leggeymountbatten wrote:
9,000 ?????????

Yes, they are offering 9,000 Riyals because "of the economy." That seems to be the latest excuse.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
9,000 ?????????

A blah salary for minimal qualifications (per the posting, a BA in any major, CELTA/equivalent cert, and at least 3 years experience). Pretty much entry level.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammysez wrote:
Gulezar wrote:

I didn't even think of Ramadan. Would they lleave us sitting in our rooms or at school with nothing to do? Would we be paid for the month of Ramadan?

You'd be expected to teach, although government workers have reduced hours during Ramadan. This would likely mean the length of a teaching hour is reduced.
Makkah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9000SAR/mth - not even a salary.
Amerrycan Muslim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you’re on the joint COE - MOH program (second phase)... basically you just have to get the students up to A2 on the APTIS exam in 24 weeks time...

Last edited by Amerrycan Muslim on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two off-topic postings have just been deleted. If the petty insults continue, makers of same will not along with their ISPs.
Lord T

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

American Academy's latest adverts (21-03-2018) on this website and one in Thailand give me the impression they are having difficulty getting teachers (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

May I politely suggest that describing the salary as 'standard Saudi Arabia
base salary' is not a good idea; much better to say exactly how much the teacher will be paid.

Also, please note American Academy, that 9,000 riyals is equal to just under 75,000 Thai baht, not 80,000, at today's rates. I'm sure the last thing you would want to do is mislead people, so I thought I should point that out.

Regards
Lord T
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: lmfao Reply with quote

A truly, truly shameful red flag of an offer.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone's saying the salary is low, but it is low only (insulting, even) for permanent, experienced teachers. If a relative newbie wants to 'experience' the Middle East for a short stint and leave with around $13,000* to pay towards student loans or a deposit on an apartment, I wouldn't think it's the worst decision they could make.

Sure, the summer here is absolutely atrocious, lethal even, the students during the summer can be too, everyone who can gets the hell out of dodge and many places are ghost towns (on the plus side traffic is lighter). You may also leave with PTSD and a hatred of teaching/the MENA region... swings and roundabouts.

Come to think of it, my first year in Saudi I was on under 10k and the housing allowance wasn't sufficient. A truly awful company, colleagues and students, but it was a huge uplift on the £350(5,000 RMB)/month I was earning the year before in China! Since then, every year my salary has gone up and no housing to pay for anymore. Plus I work for a nice place with even nicer colleagues. The students aren't half bad either. I'm sure I got my present role because of a good interview and my previous experience in Saudi - it certainly wasn't because of my credentials.

*I think my calculations are accurate but am pleased to be corrected.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awful offer. You should also check that a full return ticket is included and that nothing is going to be deducted if your workload goes down over Ramadan.

I would ask for 10,000 SAR for sure if you really have no other options. Tell them that you are ready to jump on the plane and spend the hot summer in the desert for that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: