Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brand new - out of the box teacher heading to Vietnam
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEFLChris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Brand new - out of the box teacher heading to Vietnam Reply with quote

I've become certified recently to teach (TEFL 120 hours)

I am in the process of selling everything I own to move to Vietnam in August 2018.

I have a good life experience,I'm also not a young kid but I do have a question or 2.

Some of you have been there (Vietnam) and I was wondering what you wish you knew before leaving that you discovered once you got there.

Also how hard would it be to bring in 2 cats?Other than the shots and medical journals for each,am I missing something?

What would be the best piece of advice you could give me?

I'm looking at working at a language school to begin,maybe 6 months to a year and then moving up with other clienteles as my experience increases.

Please feel free to share any thoughts you have
Piscador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't said where you're working - there's a big difference between the two main cities and the regional centers.

Cats: VN is not particularly pet friendly, and Vietnamese shophouses aren't really suitable for pets. I live in central VN so I can take my dog out for a hike several times a week. Cats? Well, you pretty much have to keep them indoors all the time.

The main problem that newcomers have when coming here is unrealistic expectations. If you've never experienced expat life before then read up on culture shock and research expat life in Vietnam. This forum is a good place to start, although advice can be wildly contradictory and information runs the range from useful to useless.

If you haven't checked out the center that you're looking for yet, do an online search for teachers' reports and opinions.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the idea of "sell up and sail away" is attractive to some there are some issues.

You mention having completed a TEFL course. What you didn't mention is your academic background. Do you have a degree to go with your TEFL?
For the visa and work permit you will need your:
degree (will require authentication), academic transcripts, police clearance (FBI if you are from the states) and it too will need to be authenticated.
Bringing pets to SE Asia is not always a good idea. SEA is not pet friendly.

Acculturation is another issue you will need to deal with. SEA is NOT like home. The rules (legal and cultural) are significantly different and often come as a big shock to new expats from North America. Just be aware.

Your employment expectations are also probably not in line with reality. You should be prepared to spend the rest of your time in SE Asia working for language academies (with all their inherent problems) at about US$20/hr. The exception would be someone with an academic background in education (B.Ed, BA+DipT, etc). They will rise above the glass ceiling.

There are also visa issues to deal with depending on your age and qualifications. Getting a proper visa and work permit can be both expensive (and unpaid by the employer) and cumbersome. Those without a work permit will also have banking issues so don't close up everything at home.

TEFLChris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piscador wrote:
You haven't said where you're working - there's a big difference between the two main cities and the regional centers.

Cats: VN is not particularly pet friendly, and Vietnamese shophouses aren't really suitable for pets. I live in central VN so I can take my dog out for a hike several times a week. Cats? Well, you pretty much have to keep them indoors all the time.

The main problem that newcomers have when coming here is unrealistic expectations. If you've never experienced expat life before then read up on culture shock and research expat life in Vietnam. This forum is a good place to start, although advice can be wildly contradictory and information runs the range from useful to useless.

If you haven't checked out the center that you're looking for yet, do an online search for teachers' reports and opinions.

Hi There!Thank you for the response.I have not said where I am working because I haven't reached Vietnam yet!

My cats would stay indoors,I have all the documentation of what shots they need and so on.

I have been researching expat life for 2 years now,I mostly want to take a break from the grind of my current job,which I have been doing for around 15 years...

I am aware of the cultural shock,in fact,I am looking forward to it!
TEFLChris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
While the idea of "sell up and sail away" is attractive to some there are some issues.

Agreed.

You mention having completed a TEFL course. What you didn't mention is your academic background. Do you have a degree to go with your TEFL?
For the visa and work permit you will need your:
degree (will require authentication), academic transcripts, police clearance (FBI if you are from the states) and it too will need to be authenticated.

I have trade/technical school background in many fields but no University degree that is completed.I understand it's not the best but I may take classes once I get there to finish it.
Bringing pets to SE Asia is not always a good idea. SEA is not pet friendly.

Acculturation is another issue you will need to deal with. SEA is NOT like home. The rules (legal and cultural) are significantly different and often come as a big shock to new expats from North America. Just be aware.

I have done diligent research and I heed your advice.

Your employment expectations are also probably not in line with reality. You should be prepared to spend the rest of your time in SE Asia working for language academies (with all their inherent problems) at about US$20/hr. The exception would be someone with an academic background in education (B.Ed, BA+DipT, etc). They will rise above the glass ceiling.

How are my expectations out of reality?I figure language schools are the first stop for most new teachers?

There are also visa issues to deal with depending on your age and qualifications. Getting a proper visa and work permit can be both expensive (and unpaid by the employer) and cumbersome. Those without a work permit will also have banking issues so don't close up everything at home.

Possibly.I will travel with a canadian passport and I am caucasian so it should help facilitate finding a job without a uni degree.I am also perfectly bilingual in french and english (Native level for both,I come from Quebec)

Either way,the certainty is I am heading there in August.I will make it happen Smile
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEFLChris wrote:
Possibly.I will travel with a canadian passport and I am caucasian so it should help facilitate finding a job without a uni degree.I am also perfectly bilingual in french and english (Native level for both,I come from Quebec)

Either way,the certainty is I am heading there in August.I will make it happen Smile

Finding a job is not the issue. Being legal is the issue. You are not talking about a fresh grad taking a gap year.

An authenticated degree and police check are the legal requirements to get a visa and work permit as a teacher in Vietnam.
Not having them means no work permit.

Not having the work permit means no bank account, no banking, no lease, no legal status, needing constant border hops to stay in the country, and ALWAYS at risk of being picked up by the immigration police for being an illegal migrant worker.

There is no long term future. Don't burn too many bridges behind you before you get on the plane. Good luck - I hope she is worth it.

Piscador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suphanburi is absolutely right - get your documents in order *and* certified/authenticated/apostilled *before* you leave for VN. It's a damned sight harder to get it done after you arrive.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything Suphanburi says is true. There aren't deportation squads looking for illegal westerners even in the shady parts of town, but there have been enough horror stories about foreign nationals being turned away at the border after year of illegal working that I would not recommend it. Hell, if you bring pets, you may (but most likely won't) be asked how long you do intend to stay here for.

That being said, you just might be able to parlay your technical skills into a non-TEFL job that, frankly, will probably leave you more fulfilled. Not sure how the visa would work with that though. For language schools, most all want someone with a degree and there are just enough young bright-eyed kids with their fresh papers who'll get hired before you simply because it'll be less hassle for them.

Pet-wise, I also have become the recent proud owner of two very lovely cats and, as such, have talked to several pet owners in HCMC. It's not a big deal to keep cats, but you risk getting them killed by traffic or worse if you let them roam outside. Apartments may forbid pets but, in practice, won't really care so long as the rent is paid.

The reality is that you'll probably be allowed to get away with a year of illegal teaching, then you'll have to either get a visa or look for opportunities elsewhere. The best piece of advice I could give you is don't make anything long-term. Otherwise, you would probably be screwing yourself.
TEFLChris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all that answered,always appreciated to get various opinions from people that actually know.

I have not burned bridges,I am taking a sabbatical year to cover my bases in case things go pear-shaped.

I have background criminal check done,I also have TEFL certification but I am looking at getting a university degree while I am in Vietnam,either online or in one of their universities.

I'm quite resourceful,if teaching doesn't work,I can find other admin jobs.

At the worst I will travel for a year and go back to the job I hate.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEFLChris wrote:
I have been researching expat life for 2 years now,I mostly want to take a break from the grind of my current job,which I have been doing for around 15 years...

I don't know anyone who looks forward to experiencing culture shock. Confused

Just curious... Have you ever been outside N. America?
TEFLChris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
TEFLChris wrote:

I don't know anyone who looks forward to experiencing culture shock. Confused

Just curious... Have you ever been outside N. America?

Of course I have.

I enjoy getting out of the crazy north american lifestyle as often as I can.
skarper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be FAR harder than you can possibly imagine. The market is saturated. Pay rates are falling. Rents and other costs are rising.

Another newbie is the last thing the overcrowded job market here needs.

Frankly, best you stay in N. America or go to a country that still offers good pay and conditions. China is better now than Vietnam. South Korea is not what it once was, but still worthwhile financially.

If after reading this you still want to come, then OK. You are a grown up and can make your own decisions.

BTW, a 120 hour cert does NOT make you TEFL certified. Even the gold standard certs that you DO NOT have are only meant to INITIATE you into the profession.

You will find some work. You may even enjoy it for a while. But it will not be enough to live on at a standard that makes life worth living. Many other posters on here will back me up. The long timers anyway.

Get your cats adopted if you do come. It will be hard enough without furry dependents.

BTW - no degree means no Work Permit. But fewer and fewer teachers seem to have these nowadays. It is getting more expensive and difficult to operate in Vietnam without the legal paperwork, and that seems set to continue.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat is a dish in VN. Quite popular as well. A lot of expats lose their cats. Where do you think they go? Here dinner dinner! Razz

Seriously -VN is the LAST place I would ever take a pet. North Americans have such an attachment to pets. Rolling Eyes

In the developing world -not so much. Razz

__
Your age if over 40 and especially if over 50 will hurt you. If you smoke & have aged even more then you can bet you will have fewer jobs to choose. If you're 25 and lack a degree, a lot can be made up on "looks" but being older and lacking a degree is like 2 strikes before you even land in country. Shocked
__

MOD EDIT: OFF-TOPIC & THIS IS NOT A DATING SITE.

__

Some of the schools offer free housing in rural areas. I have only seen a few that actually had good housing in these situations. And what you will often find is a room right inside the school. Imagine how fun it is to be woke up on your day off to cover a class!
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
Cat is a dish in VN. Quite popular as well. A lot of expats lose their cats. Where do you think they go? Here dinner dinner! Razz

Seriously -VN is the LAST place I would ever take a pet. North Americans have such an attachment to pets. Rolling Eyes

At the risk of taking this off-topic, I quite disagree. Vietnamese have taken to owning pets a lot more these days. At least three streets on my way home have pet supplies and I had a very a nice Vietnamese lady come into my apartment to install a cat tree she had designed.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyShackleford wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:

At the risk of taking this off-topic, I quite disagree. Vietnamese have taken to owning pets a lot more these days. At least three streets on my way home have pet supplies and I had a very a nice Vietnamese lady come into my apartment to install a cat tree she had designed.

Firstly, I see absolutely nothing wrong with people becoming attached to their pet/s. We had dogs when I was growing up, they were much-loved, had an extremely easy life and were considered very much part of the family. That's the way it should be. There are far too many examples of animal cruelty out there and the problem we have isn't too much kindness. However, if, for example, you are living on a farm then those animals are usually there for a practical purpose, aren't pets and I understand why that's different. I've spent a lot of time on farms.

However, quite simply, if you are not prepared to become attached/care for/care about your pet/s then, as far as I'm concerned, what are you doing with 'em in the first place? I'd love to have a cat or two, but, as I travel around a lot, it's too much responsibility.

Secondly, IMHO, what Rusty says is correct. I have also detected a change in societal attitudes towards animals when I was living in Vietnam and, while I might prefer it changed quicker, any progress is welcome. I've seen and known plenty of Vietnamese who take very good care of their pets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: