Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to teach and save up? - NNES with a BA English from UK
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Where to teach and save up? - NNES with a BA English from UK Reply with quote

Hi everyone, first time poster here, and I'd really appreciate your advice. I've read a number of other posts asking a similar question, but I'm looking for some specific info.

About me:

I'm a non-native speaker of English. My citizenship is Serbian. I've lived in South Africa for 4 years, where I learned English. I graduated with a BA in English from the University of London. I have two years' teaching experience, in groups and private lessons. My learners' ages ranged from 7 to 50+. I hold a CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English) grade A. My accent is fairly neutral, perhaps leaning toward the US a bit. My spelling is British English. I've been working as a translator for some 15 years. However, with the situation in Serbia going to s*it, and work opportunities declining, I'm forced to look for work outside the country. Right now I'm looking for a place where I could find a well paid job that would allow me to save up. I'm looking at Shenznen, China, at the moment, as I have two acquaintances living and working there and making a good living. But as I've heard about the recent crackdown on teachers working illegally there, I'm not sure of the dangers.

What are the realities of working illegally as an English teacher in China?

Which country could I find work in legally, where the job would also pay well?

Could you recommend a country with a good quality of life, where I could find a decent-paying job as an NNES?

Would it make more sense to just go to a certain country (if we're talking about Asia) and look for work once there, or look for work in advance before booking a flight?

I have asthma, so air quality needs to be decent, places like Beijing are out of the question. I would also appreciate insights from other non-native speakers working out there.

Thank you for reading and any suggestions :-)
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you the best in your endeavours. You sound genuine and I think you could make a success of things. I don’t know anything about China but moving forward I think a CELTA/Trinity cert would really help you. As a NNES I would forget about the cheaper certs and go for the best that you can..
Epice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much currentaffairs. Do you have suggestions for other countries that would be a good match for what I'm looking for? It does not need to be China :-)

I'll look into getting additional certification in future, but I cannot get into additional expenses right now. I also prefer to go with a more serious certification, I think that's good advice.

Thanks for your support in any case :-)
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also take a look at the following related discussions:
Ditto the advice about completing a CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL. It's essential in your case.
Epice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nomad soul, thanks for your reply. I've already gone through these threads. And some others too :-)

For now, getting additional certification is not an option, as I cannot go into additional expenses atm. It remains a future option.

Do you have any advice for me on possible countries, or any of the other questions I asked?

Thanks in any case :-)
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epice wrote:
Which country could I find work in legally, where the job would also pay well?

Could you recommend a country with a good quality of life, where I could find a decent-paying job as an NNES?

For now, getting additional certification is not an option, as I cannot go into additional expenses atm. It remains a future option.

Do you have any advice for me on possible countries, or any of the other questions I asked?

Here's your issue: You're looking to land a good paying, legal teaching position as an NNES with a Serbian passport and no TEFL qualification. You obviously can't change your nationality and NNES status. But your passport + lack of a valid EFL teacher training cert will net you mediocre pay and zero benefits, which will hurt your ability to save. Plus, you won't be able to compete with others who possess better quals. What are you willing to compromise on?

If your finances are tight, keep in mind you'll also need to budget for startup costs (e.g., airfare, lodging, food, ground transportation, visa costs, an emergency fund, etc.).
Epice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks nomad soul. I was hoping that my BA in English, and my varied 2-year teaching experience would be enough of a qualification without having to complete additional certification at this time. I do have some savings, enough to get me started abroad, and I'd hate to dip into that. I'm also newly out of a job, so this now is kind of a turning point.

I have two friends living in Shenznen. One of them is working in a training centre, and she does have tefl. She's making decent money. The other does not have a tefl, but a BA in linguistics and is working as a private tutor, making even more decent money.

I am not dead set on China, so that's another thing I'd love to get some suggestions on. What other countries would be available to me with my present qualifications (no tefl).
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legitimate options....

Thailand is an option for LEGAL work.
As a Caucasian / European, even as a NNES, you should be able to earn 30k Baht/month on a regular contract (about 10-15% less than NES) with a proper visa and work permit.

The issues: Your paperwork.
While a TEFL is not a requirement you will need a TOEIC test (reading /listening) as a visa/work permit requirement. Immigration here does not recognize the CPE.
You have a BA in English from a UK university. You will need to have it authenticated and you will need a university issued copy of your transcripts.
You will need a police check.

Get a tourist visa. Fly into Bangkok. Peak hiring period is from now to mid May.
Have your paperwork ready. Look for a job.
If your assessment of your linguistic ability / accent is accurate then it shouldn't be too difficult to land a job in a k-12 school.
Once you are here you can, with the assistance of the school, change your status from tourist to non-B and get your teacher's permit and work permit.

Cambodia is another option.
Fly in as a tourist. Find a job. Do a visa run and get a business visa. Good to go.

Myanmar is another option. Similar to Cambodia. Look for work. Get a business visa. Fly in and go to work. Working in Myanmar will require regular visa runs (usually at the employer's expense) since a business visa is only good for 70 days.

Good luck.

In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any options open for working and studying for a CELTA part time? Sorry I don't have any links, although a quick search shows there are three places in Bangkok and Chiang Mai where you can do that.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epice wrote:
Hi nomad soul, thanks for your reply. I've already gone through these threads. And some others too Smile

Thanks in any case Smile

Be aware that China has significant start up costs but you can certainly save money once you get over that hump!
You could well have to fork out 4 month’s rent in advance (3 + 1 month deposit). You will need to buy stuff for the apartment on top of this. Chinese schools / companies won’t pay for your flight but refund it at end of contract. You might not get paid for a month so you will need one month’s living expenses also.
Plus, as many on here would advise, an emergency fund in case things go wrong. Good Luck in your new adventure!
Elicit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, China all day long. The few NNS I have met here are doing well.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elicit wrote:
Yup, China all day long. The few NNS I have met here are doing well.

They're working in China via which visa type?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT a "Z" visa to be sure.

NNES are usually "working" on an "F" or "M" visa (illegal but they take the risk and do it anyway).

...until July 2013, the F Visa was the primary option for those coming to China on a business-related internship. That year, however, the internship function was split off into the M Visa. While some companies do still issue F Visas for business internships, the official method is to use an M Visa. This visa allows the bearer to be paid for their internship. However, in reality it is extremely hard to attain an M visa because you are required to provide an invitation letter issued by a registered Chinese company or a registered organization. Thus the applicant must have an impressive resume and a high level of Chinese in order to reach out to such registered Chinese companies and organizations.

Despite the fact that many foreigners try to use these business visas to work in China, this is in fact, illegal. If you want to legally work in China, you need a Work visa (Z visa).

getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
NOT a "Z" visa to be sure.

NNES are usually "working" on an "F" (business) or "M" (internship) visa (illegal but they take the risk and do it anyway).

It's the RP that you need to work legally in China and some NNES can get a residence permit.
Elicit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought getting a FEC determines the success in obtaining a RP. Smoke and mirrors yet again.

I know NNS on spouse, tourist, student and working visas here that all seem to be doing well. The exact ins and outs of their situations I usually refrain from enquiring about.

I think choosing China and success in doing well here, in light of the visa situation, will be up to an individual’s luck and tolerance for risk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: