Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Things recruiters/employers look for on your CV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Things recruiters/employers look for on your CV Reply with quote

(Relevant for just about any teaching situation, anywhere.)

Three Things International Schools Look for on your CV/Resume
By Diane Jacoutot, Teach Middle East | Feb 25, 2018
Source: http://teachmiddleeastmag.com/three-things-international-schools-look-cv-resume/

(Excerpt)

Every month recruitment consultants in my company speak to hundreds of teachers who seek new international school jobs, and they often tell us “I’ve been applying to schools but I never hear back”. Are you one of them?

1. Can they hire you?
2. Do you have the experience they want?
3. Are you the best candidate available right now?

Now that a school has determined that they can legally hire you, and that you have sufficient experience, they must prioritise who to contact first. And this is where it gets subjective.

Below are some of the reasons your CV might get pushed to the bottom of the pile:
    • Plenty of candidates with more relevant experience have already applied.
    • Your application or cover letter was not tailored to the job.
    • You have a family and dependents so you will be a costlier hire.
    • You have a spouse who must find work, which might cause you to leave the post early if it doesn’t happen.
    • You had frequent job changes, indicating a lack of personal and/or professional resilience.
    • Your age range is at the upper end of the limit for which they can hire, so they might not be able to renew your contract.
    • Your CV has been received from many agencies that you appear desperate.
    • Your CV, email or cover letter was sloppy, poorly written or had spelling or grammatical errors.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No fast rules. Having worked - and recruited - on three continents, I would say these questions are job-specific or maybe country-specific. What worked for a job in a language school in Colombia is quite different from a university in the Middle East.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's more likely the case for iffy employers who don't give a hoot if applicants can legally work in the country or have any qualifications other than a pulse. However, the questions above are selection criteria typical in just about every job opening -- the specific requirements for the position vary.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean employer check a cv to see if it matches the job requirements? Amazing insight here Exclamation
RedLightning

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, nothing matters- it's all luck or connections.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they look for will largely depend on the market they are in.
In some markets (ie: Korea) they just want to make sure you have what it takes to be legal.

In some markets (Thailand, Vietnam) they want to make sure you are marketable (young, white, blond hair and blue eyes a bonus). Legal falls to 2nd place and qualifications seldom are an issue.
This is true for most other markets in Asia as well.

It is my understanding that for jobs in Europe they actually want someone who can be both legal (get a visa or not need a visa) and has some basic qualifications as an EFL teacher. The further east you go the less strict they become.

In Central and South America.... gringo is usually enough but having a TEFL to wave around is a bonus.

As to "BEST" candidate for the job...
Best is a loose term but for qualifications... not usually a factor in 90% of the cases.
Marketability on the other hand... sold... IF you are marketable to the parents you have the job.

Welcome to the real TEFL world.

nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedLightning wrote:

Not sure which region you are talking about, but my experience here in China says no. No connections, guess luck can be a bit subjective. My current job is on qualifications and experience, I would like to think.
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedLightning wrote:

"Luck" doesn't exist and everything that happens to us has a real world explanation. In the case of job hunting success it's throwing more resumes out there and casting a wider net, having the right qualifications, or showing up at the right time. Connections can play a part but for someone starting out that's not usually part of the equation.
RedLightning

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blistering Zanazilz wrote:
"Luck" doesn't exist and everything that happens to us has a real world explanation. In the case of job hunting success it's throwing more resumes out there and casting a wider net, having the right qualifications, or showing up at the right time. Connections can play a part but for someone starting out that's not usually part of the equation.

When you apply to any given job, there are several other candidates with comparable resumes-how exactly would you account for yours being selected from the mass? Whether it was HR or the HOD, an individual in the hiring process, for some reason or another, selected yours for a certain reason that was more than likely not based solely in academics. Since we rarely know who is behind the scenes in these matters beforehand, I would have to call it luck when things fall to our favor. To your point though, the likelihood of getting hired significantly increases when you cast a wider net and there is also something to be said for applying to jobs where they will value your background more so than others (having military experience and choosing to apply to a military-based contract as opposed to lecturer at a university).

nimadecaomei wrote:
Not sure which region you are talking about, but my experience here in China says no. No connections, guess luck can be a bit subjective. My current job is on qualifications and experience, I would like to think.

I’ve worked k-12 in the U.S. and abroad, as well as tertiary in the U.S. and abroad.
I agree that luck is a very subjective term.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: