Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why did you choose to teach ESL/EFL?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Why did you choose to teach ESL/EFL? Reply with quote

Were you seeking an exotic adventure, exotic members of the opposite sex, or you love learning foreign languages? Why did you decide to move abroad the teach ESL/ EFL?
Partizan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Why did you choose to teach ESL/EFL? Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Were you seeking an exotic adventure, exotic members of the opposite sex, or you love learning foreign languages? Why did you decide to move abroad the teach ESL/ EFL?

I would say all of the above, plus my desire to escape the 9 to 5 office grind. Nothing more soul destroying than being stuck in a dead end job, within the claustrophobic confines of an office cubicle - working for a monthly salary which is insufficient to live a comfortable life on, not to mention renting a damp bedsit and the shitty weather. Oh Dublin I don't miss you at all.
Shonai Ben

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a divorce and the company that I worked for went bankrupt it was time for a fresh start before I got too old........and looked back with regret.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to get radically different answers based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, the age and particular circumstances of each poster, their motivations, the field they decided to go into, location, when they started teaching etc etc.

Personally I got into teaching for the flexibility it provided along with a very decent income (my particular field can be very lucrative).
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studied the local language, big incentive. Love and relationships might have factored in a little, too. Not so much why I got into it, but why have I stayed and developed the career, would probably be a better question.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I look back on it now, I feel that I've been very lucky enough to escape a boring, stressful and soul destroying existence in my previous career!
At the time I was probably looking for a new adventure and wanted to give this lark a go for a long time but kept putting it off!
Funnily enough, a big reason was to learn a new language and I'd little to no interest in finding a partner. I now have a foreign wife who I have more in common with than any girfriend that I've had back home or from other Western countries. But am still at beginner level with the language after four full years of living in my adopted foreign land! Laughing
schwa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twenty years ago, 45, stuck in a dead-end blue collar job, & my youngest kid had recently moved out. Hungover one drizzly winter sunday on a random whim I typed "teaching English abroad" into my old monochrome computer. Found Dave's!

Still happily at it, seems I caught a fortunate wave. Best chapter of my life by far.

Last edited by schwa on Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Twenty years ago, 45, stuck in a dead-end blue collar job, & my youngest kid had recently moved out. Hungover one drizzly winter sunday on a random whim I typed "teaching English abroad" into my old monochrome computer. Found Dave's!

Still happily at it, I caught a fortunate wave. Best chapter of my life by far.

Lovely mate, I hope you're still enjoying the slow pace of Micronesia Cool
Yanklonigan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had just finished a three year stint as an Assistant Lecturer in the Speech Communication Department at Texas A&M University which was the max amount of time for the position. The year was1989. I had thought the next phase of my life would be working on my Ph.d at the University of Oregon in Eugene. I had been accepted into the program but I didn't have the money to tide me over for the next two of three years. A friend of mine had just completed a hitch as an English Teacher with the Peace Corp over in Thailand, and he suggested I work in Japan to save up the cash for my advanced studies. One year morphed into five years. I rambled from the mountain ranges of Japan to the Arabian desert. I finally was absorbed back into the American educational system in 1999. It was a wonderful ten years, but I'm glad it's behind me.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:
You are going to get radically different answers based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, the age and particular circumstances of each poster, their motivations, the field they decided to go into, location, when they started teaching etc etc.

Isn't that the point?

My answer: I was a recent college grad, looking to improve my foriegn langauge skills because I had a different goal in mind. However, my third EFL job in I found a very comfortable position in a place that allowed for a lot of personal and professional growth. I decided to abandon that other goal and stick with teaching until I got bored. That was 20 years ago. I'm still here!
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished college in 2005 and moved to Asia for six years. I lived in South Korea and Taiwan, I finished up my time abroad working online from Costa Rica. I left because I wanted to travel and hated the idea of working in a cubicle. I moved back to the United States in 2012. I am still planning my next chapter. I am buying some rental properties that I will have a management company manage and I hope to head back to Asia in 2023/2024. I am doing a ten year stint in the United States. I am not sure that I like it.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd had a good run, was really enjoying my work, the initial trepidation was replaced by adrenaline, the thrill of the chase, the enjoyment of the final execution, I had the process down pat so that every aspect was perfected to every minute detail. It was going very well, perfect in fact. But, the local forces had cottoned onto my MO, they were getting closer - adding to the thrill, but I knew my time was short. I had to get out of the locality, somewhere I wasn't known, somewhere I could start anew, a place with new encounters and people with different habits, somewhere I could again go about my hobbies with a renewed perspective.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Jmbf wrote:

Isn't that the point

It's absolutely interesting to hear different people's stories. My point was only that if the OP was hoping to gain useful and relevant insight into any potential common trends about why people got into ESL, then they are likely to be disappointed.
JZer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:
MotherF wrote:
Jmbf wrote:

Isn't that the point

It's absolutely interesting to hear different people's stories. My point was only that if the OP was hoping to gain useful and relevant insight into any potential common trends about why people got into ESL, then they are likely to be disappointed.

I think you are reading more into my post than I meant. Please don't take offense. I was sitting in my cubicle in the United States dreaming of going back to teaching ESL or joining the Peace Corps.
Yanklonigan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching ESL overseas is an addictive drug that can be fun for a spell but eventually leads to ruination and despair. For every success story there's 99 broken lives/hearts. Of course, I'm going over the top here, but I'd suggest you look elsewhere other than English teaching overseas for your salvation. You would quickly realize you traded your cubicle prison for another version of Hell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: