Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why did you choose to teach ESL/EFL?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twowheel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
joining the Peace Corps.

Do it!

Warm regards,
twowheel
sammysez

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually posted a similar thread and I'm sure your responses here will be more upbeat, but if I had to do it over again I would not teach ESL.

I wasn't trying to get rich. I didn't want to go overseas (even though I eventually had to for economic reasons). But, I thought with the number of foreign speakers in the U.S., I would have plenty of work. I did, but part-time.

To teach in the U.S., public schools are probably going to be your best options. After that, there are "some" full-time positions at the college level, but most, including community college will be "part-time," no benefits, no prep time pay, no holidays, no insurance, no health benefits, no sick pay, etc..." You get the idea.

Basically I got a degree that has qualified me for a part-time $14 to $19 (if you're lucky) an hour job. It wasn't economically worth it.

HOWEVER, if you have a desire to go and stay overseas, this is a great way to go.

If you want to work in public schools, this is a great way to go also.
JZer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yanklonigan wrote:
Teaching ESL overseas is an addictive drug that can be fun for a spell but eventually leads to ruination and despair. For every success story there's 99 broken lives/hearts. Of course, I'm going over the top here, but I'd suggest you look elsewhere other than English teaching overseas for your salvation. You would quickly realize you traded your cubicle prison for another version of Hell.

I think I could switch back and forth from Federal Government jobs and the Peace Corps. 3 years on/ 3 years off. That might provide a happy medium. I would still have hiring preference to go back to my old job if I do the Peace Corps.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yanklonigan wrote:
Teaching ESL overseas is an addictive drug that can be fun for a spell but eventually leads to ruination and despair. For every success story there's 99 broken lives/hearts. Of course, I'm going over the top here, but I'd suggest you look elsewhere other than English teaching overseas for your salvation. You would quickly realize you traded your cubicle prison for another version of Hell.

Rolling Eyes
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like other desperadoes I had an interest and ability in foreign languages combined with a curiosity about the Great Abroad. I soon met my version of The Tempter. In my case a well-dressed and charming Saudi who was The Cultural Attache in the Embassy in London in 1970. I signed and my soul was in his hands. Now when I read the tale of Dr Faustus I understand it all.
Jultime

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 53, living in a cold city and hating my job and life. I visited Mexico and wanted to find a way to live and support myself. The only way I could do that was to teach ESL. I've been here 3 1/2 years and have absolutely no regrets. Even though I'm not making a lot of money, I really do enjoy teaching English. Plus I'm really proud of myself for learning Spanish. I'm never going back to Canada, another year and I'll be a permanent resident of Mexico.
Yanklonigan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your success in Mexico made me feel very happy for you. You took a risk and it paid-off. Going into the English teaching field overseas is a gamble and it took courage for all of us to do it. It is better to take the chance than be in a job or place you're truly not happy with.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yanklonigan wrote:
Your success in Mexico made me feel very happy for you. You took a risk and it paid-off. Going into the English teaching field overseas is a gamble and it took courage for all of us to do it. It is better to take the chance than be in a job or place you're truly not happy with.

Echo that...
It did take a lot of courage with many of my so called friends thinking it was the craziest thing ever!
When it's your job/career back home and your lifestyle that is the problem, and not you, then it is certainly a gamble worth taking imo.
I know now that I will never look back on this gamble with regret, I'm in a much better place now personally and financially than I was in my career job back in my home country!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Travel, women and beer in any order after several years in investment banking (yawn).
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

Travel, women and beer in any order after several years in investment banking (yawn).

That was 23 years ago. Married, grown up son and several properties now just ending my years in the Middle East.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: